: Chrome wheels peeling on 2012

MartyPeru
04-23-13, 08:01 PM
Just finished washing our SRX and to my dismay I see the chrome peeling on all 4 rims. I am sure the dealership and warranty will be good about it, but it still frustrating. Anyone else have this problem? If I remember correctly is was a fairly price option. Maybe one I should not of taken but the 20 inch chrome wheels do look nice. Regards

Marc NY
04-23-13, 08:30 PM
Just finished washing our SRX and to my dismay I see the chrome peeling on all 4 rims. I am sure the dealership and warranty will be good about it, but it still frustrating. Anyone else have this problem? If I remember correctly is was a fairly price option. Maybe one I should not of taken but the 20 inch chrome wheels do look nice. RegardsIf you do a search you will find there are many threads already dealing with Chrome wheels damage/pitting and peeling. GM will cover pitting or perhaps even peeling on a one time basis only and if there wasn't any damage done to the wheels by either car washes or curb rash etc. You didn't say where you are located but some cities and towns use high levels of salt in the winter and that can cause some pitting on those wheels. I had all four of mine replaced on my 2010 SRX. However, I had damage done by a car wash rail and I had to pay $200 deductible for the wheel that was damaged. If I recall back 2010 that option was very reasonable at only $250.00 and I believe the price increased to around $450 the next year which was still very reasonable... not sure about the costs in 2012. The chrome rims really look great for sure but because of my particular issues I had I decided for my 2012 SRX that I would opt for the standard 20" painted rims instead.

phunter1
04-23-13, 08:55 PM
When I inquired about chrome wheels for my 2012, the dealer told me that it would be around $2000, so I passed. Instead, I had my rims chromed for about $1000. Glad I did based upon the complaints I have seen on this forum about the factory chrome wheels. Hopefully, the dealer will replace your wheels with a set that are properly chromed and will last.

Phil

adamjeeps
04-23-13, 09:02 PM
I've already had one chrome clad wheel replaced for peeling. GM will replace a chrome wheel once each for pitting. Peeling is a different animal and should be replaced under warranty as needed. Peeling is a defect from the factory. Pitting occurs via road salt and other chemicals.

When and if your chrome wheels pit, you are better off waiting until all four need replacing.

Marc NY
04-23-13, 09:09 PM
Peeling can also occur if the wheel gets hit hard where the plastic behind the chrome gets broken and or cracked. The chrome will then start to slowly peel away from the cracked plastic because of the hit.

Likely
04-23-13, 10:34 PM
There has been much discussion and unhappy owners, regarding the fake chrome wheels. I would just see if you could trade out your current wheels for another wheel. Maybe try one of the 2013 wheels that are available. They have some nice looking ones. I have the polished chrome, really like them. I think Marc NY has them as well. I don't know what part of country you live in, but if you have road salt or mag chloride, you will have trouble with your current wheels from now on!!!!!

adamjeeps
04-23-13, 10:39 PM
I had no luck trying to trade mine out. I'm hoping they either hold up or all four need replaced then will go for different style.

Marc NY
04-23-13, 10:43 PM
Likely, what I have are the polished aluminum wheels which IMHO are awesome looking wheels indeed! :D

davedogcaddy
04-24-13, 10:07 AM
2013 MY Polished Aluminum wheels are the way to go! Got them on my 2010...

TheCaptain
04-24-13, 11:09 AM
Go with the Chrome Plated Aluminum! Aside from PVD chrome plated (aftermarket), probably the best look / closest to real, you can get! Though it'll take some upkeep in inclement conditions.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/13%20SRX/20130310_192711_zps60a5bb88.jpg (http://s117.photobucket.com/user/TheCaptain07/media/13%20SRX/20130310_192711_zps60a5bb88.jpg.html)

adamjeeps
04-24-13, 11:33 AM
Go with the Chrome Plated Aluminum! Aside from PVD chrome plated (aftermarket), probably the best look / closest to real, you can get! Though it'll take some upkeep in inclement conditions.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/13%20SRX/20130310_192711_zps60a5bb88.jpg (http://s117.photobucket.com/user/TheCaptain07/media/13%20SRX/20130310_192711_zps60a5bb88.jpg.html)

Dang it Captain, quit posting pics of your wheels, I wanted those switched over on my 2012 before purchase but was told no fit!!!:want:

Does anyone have the midnight silver wheels? I have not seen those mounted on a SRX, just pictures online of the wheel.

TheCaptain
04-24-13, 02:25 PM
Whomever the moron was that told you SRX rims don't fit on an SRX should be... released from the automotive service.

adamjeeps
04-24-13, 02:47 PM
Whomever the moron was that told you SRX rims don't fit on an SRX should be... released from the automotive service.

Yes I was not pleased after the fact, I should have done my homework before I got there I guess, but that is a whole different story. They claimed the offset was different on the 2013 rims. I should have went and checked on the SRX with those wheels setting on their lot, but I digress.

To the Original Poster, try to get them switched out under warranty to a 2013 wheel design, the 2010-2012 chrome techs are not durable. The owner manual even states this can be done if there is good reason to not provide the same part under warranty just for them to fail again.

phunter1
04-24-13, 09:57 PM
Wait, what? The factory chrome rims are a chrome plated plastic overlay???

Phil

TheCaptain
04-24-13, 10:01 PM
If you have the 2010 - 2012 Chrome Tech Rims, they are a chrome plated plastic hub melded to an aluminum rim. They look like this.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o51/TheCaptain07/10%20SRX%20WinterSpring/IMG_2540.jpg (http://s117.photobucket.com/user/TheCaptain07/media/10%20SRX%20WinterSpring/IMG_2540.jpg.html)

The rims on my '13 (pictured in post #10 in Platinum Ice) has actual Chrome Plated Aluminum rims.

adamjeeps
04-25-13, 10:29 AM
There is a nice set of OEM 2013 chrome wheels and tires on eBay right now like Captain has. They want $2,300 shipped, ad says offers considered. Told me the wheels have 200 miles and tires are brand new, customer kept the Michelin tires. These are Bridge stone tires.

Good deal for someone who wants to switch wheels or needs new tires. I would buy them but I'm going to wait until I need new tires.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=321112597504

rureno
05-03-13, 01:40 AM
Quick question. Recently bought a 2010 SRX Performance package and noticed the chrome is cracking on all the rims one has curb rash. How do I go about getting Cadillac dealer to replace under warranty? I have about 5 months left on warranty. thanks for the help "I'm a NEWBIE"x

Marc NY
05-03-13, 08:47 AM
Quick question. Recently bought a 2010 SRX Performance package and noticed the chrome is cracking on all the rims one has curb rash. How do I go about getting Cadillac dealer to replace under warranty? I have about 5 months left on warranty. thanks for the help "I'm a NEWBIE"xI would believe that you inspected your rims very closely before you purchased your 2010 SRX right? That being said, usually cracking chrome and wheel rash are the result of driver abuse. Meaning the peeling usually happens after a rim takes a bump (like a car wash) or a hit and the curb rash are definitely self inflicted damages and that would not be covered by any GM warranty. I had car wash damage to one rim and I had pitting on all four rims due to the result of harsh winter salt and other chemicals used on our roads. GM would only cover the pitting one time and the damage to the rim I had a deductible that I had to pay out.

IMO: Those chrome rims are beautiful indeed but they can be a high cost nightmare to then have to replace them once damage has occurred. If you have to replace all four of them I would look towards getting one of the great looking 2013 one piece rims or perhaps even look at an after market wheel.

adamjeeps
05-03-13, 02:42 PM
Quick question. Recently bought a 2010 SRX Performance package and noticed the chrome is cracking on all the rims one has curb rash. How do I go about getting Cadillac dealer to replace under warranty? I have about 5 months left on warranty. thanks for the help "I'm a NEWBIE"x

Clean them as best you can and take to dealer.

rureno
05-03-13, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the info. When I get my car back from the dealer I will post pics for input.

rureno
05-27-13, 04:10 AM
Here are some pix of the rims. It looks like I have some cracking starting and not sure what the white dots are. I have curb rash on one rim...will Dealer charge on that one even if it is starting to flake in different area than the curb rash110801110809110817

adamjeeps
05-27-13, 09:35 AM
I would request the defective rims be replaced. If you did not hit the curb don't accept a messed up wheel.

The "Q" man
05-27-13, 11:26 AM
The "INFAMOUS" chrome rim saga for us/we poor humble Cadillac owners. . . Before I get into details, I will make one thing abundantly clear. . .GM refuses to take ownership of this nasty problem. . Point is: Been there ~ Done that. . .

I'm a P. Eng, with a BA Sc in Metallurgy (know what I'm talking about), My Escalade EXT rims (after two years/100k k/m, literally; have no chrome left on the rims. Point is; regardless of the Cadillac model, we're all in the same boat.

As GM "WILL NOT ACKNOWLEDGE" the problem, we (the owners) have to buy new rims. . . "Do not buy O.E.M. rims. . . Aftermarket is the only option

the "Q" man

----------

"Bye-The-Way". . . The Chrome Rim problem is a perfect opportunity to present a more serious (safety issue) regarding Cadillac "Rims/Wheels". . Last Monday (May 20/13), while driving on the 401 @ 100k/m (60mph) my left front wheel went sideways (from the vertical axis). . .Major bearing failure was the root cause. . . Make no mistake, my wife and I barely avoided a major accident. . .

The mechanic in Woodstock, Ontario (who did the repair @ $ 1,350.00 CDN) claims this happens "ALL THE TIME". . . I contacted GM this morning. . . GM claim this is an extremely rare occurrence.

My question to you is: "Has anyone had the same bearing problem?"

----------

"Bye-The-Way" Part II:

The is a "REASON" for the chrome failure (Metallurgy 101): "Never-Ever" bond two dissimilar metals together (as in: chrome over aluminum alloy, regardless of composition, meaning metal mix/formula) without proper adhesion variables/precaution/processes in place. . Failure to do so, will lead to this "Nasty Problem".

the "Q" man

Marc NY
05-27-13, 05:03 PM
Here are some pix of the rims. It looks like I have some cracking starting and not sure what the white dots are. I have curb rash on one rim...will Dealer charge on that one even if it is starting to flake in different area than the curb rash110801110809110817Sorry but GM will not cover any wheel(s) that have suffered a hit and or curb rash because the driver was the one who caused the damage. Now as far as your pitting issues I believe GM should cover the pitting issues but only on a one time basis. Now, if GM believes the pitting was the result of something that happened due to someone using a strong chemical cleaner like at a car wash, then probably no. FYI: I had some staining issues on my new Hummer wheels back in the day and it was result of my car wash person who had sprayed some heavy duty wheel cleaner onto my hot chrome rims and then the car wash got stopped for a good 5 minutes do to a break down. Ultimately, that situation caused my rims to stain badly and I was lucky to get the car wash to partially compensate me for those stain damages.

rureno
05-28-13, 12:09 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I will be going down to the dealership this week and I will see what happens.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-28-13, 03:46 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I will be going down to the dealership this week and I will see what happens.

Hello rureno,

I am sorry for the chrome wheels peeling on your vehicle. I see that you are taking it into the dealership to see if it will be covered by warranty. Please let us know how everything goes and if you want to discuss anything further or have other questions, don't hesitate to contact us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service