: Cadillac XLR Maintenance

RenownReign
04-23-13, 06:22 PM
Hello Iam new to the Forums and just purchased a 2004 XLR the owner took goodcare of the car and provided me with all service records.I took in myself for some
maintience and was quoted $3,000 for front brakes pads with rotors turned,two front struts,change tranny fluid,change power steering fluid.All parts are oem and all labor
included after that car will be up to par is this too much?Also does anyone know the
name of the color of my XLR and how many were made?

deadringer
04-24-13, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't have the rotors turned, they're inexpensive enough to just replace.

Also - where are you taking this car? I'm not sure they know what they're talking about... The XLR doesn't have struts - it has a inverted leaf spring with shocks... additionally, they are mag-ride shocks which tend to be pretty expensive. Its unlikely you need them replaced unless they are leaking.

RenownReign
04-25-13, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the reply. They said the front two were leaking theres a clicking noise only when making a sharp turn or sharp u-turn thats why i took it inSo they said replace the shocks there not leaking heavy just a bit.Its a small shop with Cadillac technicians that i had taken my car previously to.

deadringer
04-25-13, 04:16 AM
THere's a TSB regarding clicking on turns that says it could be the sway bar end-links... which are much less expensive than new shocks - its like $25 in parts.

RenownReign
04-25-13, 01:27 PM
Ok I will check it out thanks.

GizmoQ
04-26-13, 01:43 AM
... was quoted $3,000 for front brakes pads with rotors turned,two front struts,change tranny fluid,change power steering fluid.All parts are oem and all labor included after that car will be up to par is this too much?

I tell prospective owners of the older model to expect to spend about this much/year to keep the car pristine. Brakes, pads and rotors are relatively inexpensive. As stated above the mag ride shocks are very expensive. Changing the tranny fluid is no simple task (although I'd be more concerned with the fluid in the rear differential).

Is it too much? If its being done by a "certified" XLR technician, probably not. A small shop with a Cadillac tech is not the same. Cadillac had specialized training for their certified XLR techs. And other than my tuner, I won't let anyone that's not go anywhere near my car.

Also does anyone know the name of the color of my XLR and how many were made?

The official name of the color is Luxo Blue, more commonly known as Xenon Blue, option code 19U of which there were 371 in 2004. The paint code is located on the RPO tag that is located on the underside of the storage compartment lid (in the trunk, passenger side).

XLRated
08-19-13, 06:46 PM
GizmoQ, Are you saying the transmission does not share fluid with the differential? I get that when they are at opposite ends of the drive shaft (like my Mustang). Thought for sure with both of them being in the rear that they would be a single unit in a single fluid bath. What am I missing?

XLRated