: Timeserts?

Ollie01
04-23-13, 10:13 AM
06 DTS 4.6 Y engine code getting exhaust gasses in coolant and overheating. Mech says it needs timeserts in the block when replacing the head gaskets? I found info for the older model engines, but not the 2006? Does it need all this extea work?
Thanks for any info.

stormnn
04-23-13, 12:29 PM
Very rare for head gaskets to go since the update in the 04 model year. If that is your problem it's the 1st. I've heard about.
Cost my buddy $5000 to do his mint 2000 4.6.
Norm.

MoistCabbage
04-23-13, 05:29 PM
When HG issues occur in an engine with course head bolt threads (some '04's, all '05+), it's a legitimate gasket issue, not a bolt hole thread pulling issue. No machine work/inserts should be necessary, just new head bolts (which are one time use, torque to yield).

bigtone
04-24-13, 03:16 PM
Back when 'The Guru" used to post on here, he stated that timeserts were developed to use not only if the threads failed, but also due to the fact that removing and reinstalling the headbolts may damage the threads. Even with the newer coarse threads, I'm not sure if I would risk all that work and still have another problem later on.

MoistCabbage
04-24-13, 05:58 PM
That's true, inserts used to be part of the repair weather there was thread damage or not. But the corse threads are more robust than the fine threads of the older engines. AFAIK, no thread repair is done at a dealer service department after head removal on the newer, corse thread blocks.

RippyPartsDept
04-24-13, 06:03 PM
no timeserts used on the coarse thread blocks

usually the gasket failed or some of the bolts weren't perfectly torqued and allowed the gasket to fail

same job as before just no tapping or inserting the block

bigtone
04-24-13, 08:23 PM
Thanks, good to know.