: HID wiring question

Mr. Mohr
04-23-13, 03:27 AM
I have looked through the HID threads and have not found a direct answer, so I bring my problem before the forum. My '04 uses a 12-pin ballast. The previous owner cracked the passenger headlamp and picked up a replacement at a salvage yard. Only problem is that the "new" unit is a 4-pin ballast instead of 12. I discovered this when I went to replace the bulb in the passenger light, the 4-pin ballast is not sealed and looks like it had some moisture in it at some time. Now the precious owner did remove the 12-pin ballst and bulb from the old cracked headlamp. Since this 4-pin is toast, and I already have a 12-pin like it is supposed to be using, is there a way to use that ballast instead of the 4? If not, I will most likely use a sealed aftermarket ballast instead as I read these are more reliable and less expensive.

conedoctor
04-23-13, 10:40 AM
First change both bulbs or your colour will be off.

Could it be a non-HID housing he tried to make fit?

Pictures would help.

Mr. Mohr
04-23-13, 08:59 PM
Good advice on the bulbs. He kept the old bulb, so I can put it in if its still good and check if the color is still the same. I'll take pictures when I can, but it is certainly a factory HID headlamp, it just has (what looks like) a bad ballast due to moisture and is 4-pin not 12-pin.

Mr. Mohr
05-04-13, 05:11 PM
Ok, so I fixed it! I removed both headlamps and removed the ballast from both. I saw how the 12 pin was wired up (uses only 2 wires) and how the 4 pin was wired (also only 2 wires). So I moved the wires around in the connector to match the locations on the 12 pin. Then trimmed a small ridge off the bottom so it would fit were I needed it to. Plugged everything in and buttoned it back up. Voila! Headlight fixed. I'm awesome.