: New ATS Questions

RemaxAl
04-23-13, 01:02 AM
I just ordered AWD 2.0t auto ATS. A few questions I have is the AWD system, isit rear wheel driven until a break in traction or AWD all the time. I'd like to hear any comments about the set up I ordered. First time I've been excited about a new car in years. SUV For the last few rides. Thanks Al

IBMike
04-23-13, 06:44 AM
AWD drive = all wheel all the time, with the capability to transfer power distribuiton as needed.

----------

AWD drive = all wheel all the time, with the capability to transfer power distribuiton as needed.

From the Caddy FAQ:

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALL-WHEEL DRIVE AND FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE?
A vehicle equipped with all-wheel drive temporarily transfers power to all four driving wheels automatically when the need is sensed by the vehicle. A vehicle equipped with four-wheel drive (4x4) can transfer power from two wheels to all four wheels upon driver demand, usually by pushing a button or turning a switch.

http://www.cadillac.com/help-center/faqs.html#nav_az_item_c1_1

So it would seem it does primarily operate in 2WD with AWD activated as needed? (That's what I get for pretending I know what I'm talking about; now I'm more confused than when I started lol)

Bertha D Blues
04-23-13, 09:25 AM
There is no direct (geared) connection between the rear and front wheels. The transfer case has a viscous connection that transfers torque to the front when needed. Most of the power goes to the rear when driving responsibly. To test this connection, I jacked up my left front tire with the car in park and the other wheels on the ground. I could manually spin the tire and watch the front driveshaft turn. That wouldn’t happen if there was a direct gear or chain drive.

The system works wonderfully in the snow. I’ve tested for wheel spin in Touring and Snow modes with traction control on and off. Obviously, with Snow and traction control on there was no drama whatsoever, just surefooted acceleration. Bert

Hoosier Daddy
04-23-13, 11:04 AM
I just ordered AWD 2.0t auto ATS.
Off topic, but since the deadline for ordering 2013s has passed and Cadillac isn't accepting 2014 retail orders for a few more days, can you tell us anything interesting the dealer told you about the 2014? Even what the MSRP for your model (without options) would be of interest.

RemaxAl
04-23-13, 03:40 PM
Sorry when I said I "ordered it"! My local dealer is doing a dealer trade. I went in to buy a Traverse and took the ATS for a spin. With the model year end residuals on leases I scooped one up. Mine retailed for 48,800.00 CDN. AWD, Luxury, 2.0T, Nav and sunroof. Should have it for the week end.

AL