: STS-V vs. CTS-V2

Guy.Seminerio
04-22-13, 10:28 PM
I have a problem where I never can be satisfied with what I have. I've been thinking about 09+ CTS-Vs recently.
I know they outperform STS-Vs in every respect. (correct me if I'm wrong)
My buddy has an 09 CTS DI V6 and the interior materials are nice, but I don't believe as nice. I was just doing the leather in the car today and we have leather just about everywhere. I was in the freakin door pockets and they're lined in cow skin. In his CTS, this level of attention to detail is non-existent. As far as I know the interiors are the same on the CTS and CTS-Vs with the exception of the use of that black gloss stuff instead of the grey plastic stuff in the regular CTS.
There are also little things that the STS-V has over the CTS-V, and vice versa. As an auto enthusiast, things like blind spot info system lane departure warning, more interior room, and 5 more speakers (4 of them in the seats.. nice) shouldn't affect my decision, but they're nice to have. And as far as I know, heads up display isn't available on the CTS-Vs. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this stuff by the way. I don't believe the reliability of the engine to be an issue in either, nor the tranny. (by the way I'd prefer the manual over the auto, but if a good deal on an auto comes up, I wouldn't say no.) I plan to test drive a CTS-V at my local Caddy dealer when I get the chance. Anybody have any thoughts? Especially someone who has driven both. Is the power difference big enough for a noticeable difference in g force on the body, or is it just noticeable with the times? I know some of these questions would be more appropriate for the CTS-V forum, but I'm not sold yet, and I'm trying to compare. I really want to see if I can get someone who has driven both. Thanks guys.

06 STS Rob
04-22-13, 11:57 PM
Haven't driven both but have sat in both. The CTS V has leather wrapped racing seats, great for the track, but nothing like the comfort of our seats if driving any sort of distance.
One thing I can say for sure is that the C is being produced like cookies...anyone with 60k can have one. I still love the fact that the S is rare. Just adds to the cool factor IMO.

Guy.Seminerio
04-23-13, 12:07 AM
Good point about the exclusivity and our seats. About the seats in the CTS-V, the Recaro seats you're talking about are actually optional. Standard seats are the regular seats that come with regular CTSs, only with suede inserts. Those seats by the way are pretty dismal in terms of their ability to hold you under hard cornering (as I said my friend has one.) Is the CTS-V engine hand built? Thanks for the input Rob.

PGA2B
04-23-13, 12:53 AM
I didn't like how the center console was laid out and the nav motorizing out of the dash. I am glad they changed the 14 CTS and look forward to the CTS-V in the new V3 format. Now THAT is worth changing for IMHO. That will be my next car and I have heard rumblings that it will be equipped with the LT1 V8 and twin turbo charged putting 750 to the crank.

PNBLWZD
04-23-13, 12:53 AM
I drive my STS-V every day, and have looked at and driven many CTS-V's over the course of several months thinking of getting one. I think the CTS-V interior is more upscale than the regular CTS interior. Similar dash and door panel leather and stitching to our cars IIRC, and of course there's the 2 different seat options which everyone has an opinion about. I didn't like the Recaros at first, as the "6 cylinder seat" as it's called seemed more comfortable. However, they are very flat and cushy and feel like sitting in a diner booth. Once adjusted and worn in a little the Recaros are nice, like a new pair of shoes. The STS-V seats are kind of in between the 6 banger seats and the Recaros.

As for performance, the stock LSA motor in the V2 pulls really hard and strong, and has tremendous potential for easily making huge power if desired. The STS-V is no slouch though, and most everyone that rides in mine doesn't understand why I want something quicker.

I guess the reasons I haven't made the switch are: I like the bigger size of the STS-V, and not just interior but also the trunk. The bang for the buck with an STS-V is amazing, you get a lot of power and cool features for pretty cheap. Also as others have mentioned it's kind of unique, I rarely if ever see another on the street. Lastly of course is cost, the cheapest V2 with decent miles and price will be an 09 which will set you back at least $40k. First world problems...

Guy.Seminerio
04-23-13, 01:00 AM
750... jeez. That's Ferrari territory. I'm glad they're not compromising though. It's about time Cadillac leads the way, uncontested. The popup nav thing is kinda tacky and it has the tendency to squeak. A positive though is that it's not DVD based, like ours. I suspected they'd go with the new LT1, but assumed supercharged. That should be interesting. I still have hopes that they'll put the LT1 in the ATS-V. I know they say the TTV6, but I've also read from a source (can't remember which) that the LT1 would fit right in, and could possibly be used for a special edition type of deal for the ATS-V. One can only hope. The interior on the 14 CTS looks incredible. Thanks for the input man.

06 STS Rob
04-23-13, 01:33 AM
Good point about the exclusivity and our seats. About the seats in the CTS-V, the Recaro seats you're talking about are actually optional. Standard seats are the regular seats that come with regular CTSs, only with suede inserts. Those seats by the way are pretty dismal in terms of their ability to hold you under hard cornering (as I said my friend has one.) Is the CTS-V engine hand built? Thanks for the input Rob.

The CTS V2 has the s/c LS engine found in the C6 ZR1. Being an LS, the aftermarket and tuning is almost endless. Again, this is far from exclusive but pretty bad ass. I just went to the Long Beach GP and was able to participate in the Cadillac Corral and with apx 80 V's, only 3 were STS V's.
I didn't know those seats were just an option...only been in a couple and each was equipped with them.

carter's_sts
04-23-13, 02:56 AM
I don't like any of the current CTSs, V or otherwise. The V is super fast, and if that's what you want, go for it.

But I think the quality of the interior and the overall size make it a lot less appealing. I wouldn't own one personally.

I am anxious to see the 2014 CTS and later V. It looks great, but I still worry about the size. I just like bigger cars. I also like the power, but someday I might have to see if the XTS with the twin turbo is enough (wish they'd switch to a RWD platform).

Otherwise, I hate to say it, but it might be time for a 7 Series or S Class.

Guy.Seminerio
04-23-13, 10:09 AM
I gotta check out the interior of the CTS-V. I like the larger size of the STS-V as well. Carter, if you can wait, a large S Class, 7 series fighter is not too far in Cadillac's future. And the XTS is definitely a no-go unless they go RWD as you say. You seen that thing from the side?? I'm embarrassed FOR Cadillac. The Recaros are in fact an option, and one that I imagine most buyers ticked. First world problems haha definitely. Thanks for the input guys.

PGA2B
04-23-13, 10:44 AM
If I am not mistaken I think the Recaro option was $3K and the suede wheel was even more. An AWD Twin Turbo V6 would be ok in the XTS. I am glad they incorporated the Cue system in the CTS. I hope they refine it so it works better. I have read some not so good reviews of it. Also remember the new CTS is 5" longer than the currebt CTS but its too bad that none of that made it into the cabin. I can't wait to see one in person. I one the V3 comes out the price of the V2 will drop quite a bit.

1madstsv
04-23-13, 11:02 AM
I have driven 6-7 09-13 Ctsv had money down on 2 of them one with 680hp and 5000 miles on it. And still could not talk my self in to One. They are just a cts with a big hp. Kind of like a srt-4 neon at the end of the day it's just a fast neon. Way to small and cheap for me. That's why I sold my 06 for the 08 Stsv. As for speed are cars feel faster from a dig. They just don't pull as hard up top. My old car was 470 ish Rwhp very close to a stock Ctsv and ran 12.14@114. I watched a all most stock Ctsv run 12.19@117 both of us had 1.8 some thing 60ft times. So I would have wone if I got the jump but on the street he would kill me. So if it's speed your after go for it but stock to stock not that big of a difference on the streed under a 120mph most stock Ctsv,s run 12.4-12.7 with a normal driver Stsv 13.0-13.4. So .5/1s difference on average. And if you ask me the are just to much $$$ for what they are. I have my Stsv for road trips and car shows and my corvette for when I want to go real fast. And it's paid for. Also Ctsv get worse mpg most get only 15/17 hwy. I get 20/22 hwy with my v. Hope this helps.

Guy.Seminerio
04-23-13, 05:37 PM
It is a daily driver so fuel economy is somewhat of a concern. Thanks for that man. Although I thought they actually got better mileage. Guess not. Just looked it up.. 14/19 for CTS-V, 13/19 for STS-V. I get around 20-21 on the highway, 16 around here in Fayetteville, and when I'm in NYC, I'm in the single digits easy.

PNBLWZD
04-23-13, 08:06 PM
1madstsv - was the high HP V2 w/5000 miles on it that you were considering located in Las Vegas by chance?

1madstsv
04-23-13, 11:54 PM
No York pa 5 miles from me. Bilt buy east coast supercharging. They are a very good shop in nj for corvetts and LS based cars. But a 2011 with 5000 miles and no warranty was not for me when paying 67,500. +2500 over book for it. No thanks. Not having a warranty is one thing for me but paying over book for some one elses mods don't think so.

PNBLWZD
04-24-13, 12:26 AM
I looked at a similar V2 in Vegas about a year ago; it was a 2010 with 5000 miles and purportedly $30k worth of mods done at a local speed shop. It put down 618hp at the tires, and also had no warrantee (and it was for sale at a Cadillac dealer!). They had gone into the motor and changed the pistons to bump up the compression one point, in addition to heads, cam, pulleys, blower work, heat exchanger upgrade, long tubes, a high stall convertor, and tuned for racing gas. To run it in CA, I would nave needed to de-tune it for crappy 91 octane, change out the stall convertor, put a stock upper pulley back on, and pray to make it through CA DMV inspection to even get it smogged and registered here. It was a lot of fun to drive around in Vegas, but sadly that's where I had to leave it.

Berger 93
04-24-13, 10:08 AM
The CTS-V2 lacks the sophistication, class and comfort of the STS-V . . . The C is a neat car . . . but incomparable to a S.

I find the C to be cramped and gaudy . . .

Now for the engine . . . yes that is a nice piece of engineering . . thus why I have a ZL1.

----------

The CTS-V2 lacks the sophistication, class and comfort of the STS-V . . . The C is a neat car . . . but incomparable to a S.

I find the C to be cramped and gaudy . . .

Now for the engine . . . yes that is a nice piece of engineering . . thus why I have a ZL1.

BlownV
04-24-13, 12:48 PM
After owning both now, I am enjoying the CTS-V. I wasn't sold at first but I drove a few and checked out all the options.....eventually pulling the trigger on the CTS-V. There are alot of pros to having a vehicle which shares similar drivetrains with other GM cars...especially in terms of aftermarket and cost of maintenance. I don't think anyone will argue that the LSA is a better platform than the LC3. Suspension wise, the CTS-V in touring mode rides smoother/softer than my STS-V ever did which is something I am very grateful for around town. Steering for me was also a big complaint on the STS-V...felt too sloppy. Interior quality I think is a matter of opinion. I actually like the material selection better in the CTS-V than the STS-V and my STS-V was starting to show its signs of wear and tear with cracked and squeaking plastic parts on the trim. Even silly things like the known problem of peeling doorhandles was annoying. The recaro seats are amazing as well. I drove mine back from LA to PHX and it was more comfortable than the STS-V due to the amount of adjustability in the Recaros. You can change the amount of thigh and kidney support in addition to all the normal adjustments that the STS-V has which allows you to make them fucntion like buckets or racing seats at the push of a couple buttons. The CTS-V2 fixed the wheel hop issue we all have experienced and in all honesty working on the V2 is a piece of cake compared to the northstar. I am going to miss the STS-V and I still see the new owner driving her around occasionally but GM made a huge improvement going from the G1 STS-V and CTS-V to the G2 CTS-V.

Guy.Seminerio
04-24-13, 08:59 PM
Definitely value the opinion of someone who has owned both. Damn until now it's all been in favor of the STS-V, although this is the STS-V forum. I just knew the likelihood of CTS-V owners having driven a STS-V was low, as rare as STS-Vs are. Are there known major $$ repairs that CTS-V2 owners are running in to?

BlownV
04-24-13, 09:14 PM
In all fairness, I think we are all going to champion what we personally own. So I am sure that others will say I am biased now to the CTS-V. I haven't seen any major issues pop up on the CTS-V forums yet...at least not ones that are related to normal driving and mod levels. The guys that are pushing 800hp are breaking things...as expected. I am happy to be back under a warranty for awhile in case anything does crop up but so far so good. I don't know if you are looking more for a performance luxury sedan, or a luxury sedan with performance. To me, the STS-V fits the latter and the CTS-V the former. The LSA has more potential in terms of power. Pushing an extra 100hp out of the LC3 is a chore that a lot of people here on the forum have worked hard to achieve. To get another 100hp out of the LSA (556bhp to 650bhp) all you need is a pulley, intake pipe and tune. And the pulley for the LSA is $135...whole kit and tune for under $1000. Not a chance of getting that kind of power/$ with the LC3. Lastly, the large large aftermarket for the CTS-V means that if you can dream it, someone else has probably already done it and can offer a kit for it. Example, some guys don't like the interior wood grain trim, so there are a couple companies doing full carbon fiber (plain and colored) interior panel kits. Real carbon/kevlar, not stickers. Tons of wheel options at reasonable prices as well and something as simple as headers is not a custom part like withe LC3...half a dozen manufacturers out there.

Guy.Seminerio
04-24-13, 09:25 PM
Nice. Would you say the CTS-V without the Recaros is a definite no go? My buddy has the CTS and those seats don't feel very supportive. I'm guessing stay away from those? What about high cost repairs on things other than drivetrain, like electrical crap, etc? Nothing prevalent?

1madstsv
04-24-13, 11:42 PM
Go over to the Ctsv side of the site. Lots of new owners complaining abought the rocking recaros. Wheel clicking and suppercharger raddle. On all but new cars. The carpet in some was loose under the drivers feet. These are just some of the things that were posted in the last month. I don't care what you spend your money on I could afford a new Ctsv if I wanted one but I chose to buy my second Stsv went from a 06 with 60k on it to a 08 with 7600 miles on it. After driving more than a hand full of Ctsv 6 speeds and autos. Sedan and wagon. Love the wagon btw. But in the end you need to decide which you like better. So I would go drive as many as you can be for you go any further. I love them when I'm in them and hate them the rest of the time lol. It's just a cheaper bilt car with less room that gets worse mpg that just happens to be stupid fast. Good luck on your decision.
Ps I transport cars for a living I'm in 14/17 different cars a day and I would get a m5 BMW be for the Ctsv if I want a faster 4 door car.

Thunder Gray STS
04-25-13, 12:09 AM
In all fairness, I think we are all going to champion what we personally own. So I am sure that others will say I am biased now to the CTS-V. I haven't seen any major issues pop up on the CTS-V forums yet...at least not ones that are related to normal driving and mod levels. The guys that are pushing 800hp are breaking things...as expected. I am happy to be back under a warranty for awhile in case anything does crop up but so far so good. I don't know if you are looking more for a performance luxury sedan, or a luxury sedan with performance. To me, the STS-V fits the latter and the CTS-V the former. The LSA has more potential in terms of power. Pushing an extra 100hp out of the LC3 is a chore that a lot of people here on the forum have worked hard to achieve. To get another 100hp out of the LSA (556bhp to 650bhp) all you need is a pulley, intake pipe and tune. And the pulley for the LSA is $135...whole kit and tune for under $1000. Not a chance of getting that kind of power/$ with the LC3. Lastly, the large large aftermarket for the CTS-V means that if you can dream it, someone else has probably already done it and can offer a kit for it. Example, some guys don't like the interior wood grain trim, so there are a couple companies doing full carbon fiber (plain and colored) interior panel kits. Real carbon/kevlar, not stickers. Tons of wheel options at reasonable prices as well and something as simple as headers is not a custom part like withe LC3...half a dozen manufacturers out there.

I have had both. Agree with everything above. I also have the standard seats in mine and they are fine, even driving the car from Memphis to Los Angeles and back. I have had zero problems with the CTS in 27,000 miles. But for the original question, yes you can feel the difference in the seat of the pants, and the CTS rides better, handles better, and in my case gets the same mileage that the STS did. The only major difference in size is in the trunk. They are both good cars. Buyers choice.

BlownV
04-25-13, 12:16 PM
Go over to the Ctsv side of the site. Lots of new owners complaining abought the rocking recaros. Wheel clicking and suppercharger raddle. On all but new cars. The carpet in some was loose under the drivers feet. These are just some of the things that were posted in the last month. I don't care what you spend your money on I could afford a new Ctsv if I wanted one but I chose to buy my second Stsv went from a 06 with 60k on it to a 08 with 7600 miles on it. After driving more than a hand full of Ctsv 6 speeds and autos. Sedan and wagon. Love the wagon btw. But in the end you need to decide which you like better. So I would go drive as many as you can be for you go any further. I love them when I'm in them and hate them the rest of the time lol. It's just a cheaper bilt car with less room that gets worse mpg that just happens to be stupid fast. Good luck on your decision.
Ps I transport cars for a living I'm in 14/17 different cars a day and I would get a m5 BMW be for the Ctsv if I want a faster 4 door car.

I am on the CTS-V forum and compared to the number of threads on here about maintenance and issues, the number on the CTS-V forum is an order of magnitude lower. Most people talk about upgrades, not fixes...not trans issues (shift to park), t-stat issues, blower issues, etc. That is expected though...just by the average age of the car. My STS-V had a ton of maintenance issues that I went through and to me when something as simple as a sticking thermostat is a challenge for the dealer to diagnose then that is a huge downside as well. I don't want to HAVE to be the person working on my car all the time. I don't have the time for that anymore. I need to be able to trust the dealership to know enough about the car to handle it without issue...again, benefit of the GM parts used and the number of CTS-V's produced. I haven't heard anyone complain about the recaros or clicking wheels yet...although I am sure that some people have their issues and you will see this on every single forum (BMW, Merc, Porsche, etc). The seats have shock absorbers in them so if you aren't use to that feel then you are probably going to think something is wrong, when in fact everything is working as it should. Material selection in the CTS-V compared to STS-V is also a notch up. You can tell this just about everywhere on the car. The quality of the leather in the dash. The thickness of the plastic used for the running boards. The grill. The list goes on. They learned from the CTS-V and the STS-V G1 cars, and applied those lessons. Manufacturers try not to step backward, that makes no sense, especially when the CTS-V is trying to compete with the M5 and CL63 AMG. Also, I get the same MPG I got before. And I am not sure where you are getting your interior dimensions from, but if you pull all the specs the only area where the CTS-V is less than the STS-V by any measureable amount is back seat leg room. So, despite the fact that the car feels much tighter and handles like a smaller vehicle, the interior IMO (just opinion) actually feels bigger.

But yes, back to the initial question. It is a buyers choice. Do you want a luxury car with performance, or performance car with luxury? I love the CTS-V but others may not. The STS-V was a great roadtrip car...160mph runs to vegas and back for the weekend with a full load of people and luggage. But I would never try to take that car to track and even in the twisties in the mountains you could tell it was not in its' comfort zone. The CTS-V is a tighter fit with 4 people but up on the mountain roads I can't wipe the grin off my face. Lastly, some people are HP people and some people are torque people. Drive both and you will know which you are.

1madstsv
04-25-13, 02:43 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/288118-so-i-told-gm-has-given.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=167766

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/287626-carpet-defect-dilema.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/287682-gas-mileage.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/287682-gas-mileage.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/254244-gm-found-fix-supercharger-rattle.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/256767-who-else-has-leaking-shocks.html

Most of these were on the first our second page. There are lots more these were the main ones as for the better quality I don't think so the Stsv has a metal grill the Ctsv is plastic dipped in crome. The dash is not fully stiched like in the Sts. There is no heated wheel no heated back seat no heads up display. So no it is not a higher end car it never was even Cadillac will tell you that. As for ride get rid of the run craps on the Sts to make it fair and I don't think you could tell the difference.

Thunder Gray STS
04-25-13, 02:52 PM
Phone dial name

Pardon

Phone dial name

Pardon

PHONE DIAL NAME

Command not recognized

BlownV
04-25-13, 04:47 PM
Most of these were on the first our second page. There are lots more these were the main ones as for the better quality I don't think so the Stsv has a metal grill the Ctsv is plastic dipped in crome. The dash is not fully stiched like in the Sts. There is no heated wheel no heated back seat no heads up display. So no it is not a higher end car it never was even Cadillac will tell you that. As for ride get rid of the run craps on the Sts to make it fair and I don't think you could tell the difference.

I read through all of them and I guess I just have different opinions on priorities than you. The wheel click is a cleanliness issue and there is no negative affect on performance or wear and tear. Also, I haven't had to deal with it. Fixing a silly piece of carpeting that you really can't see to me isn't a big deal either, especially when a piece of velcro takes care of it. Getting the dreaded shift-to-park message that most of us have had on here is a big issue IMO. Having the radiator replaced because it leaked ($1000) was a big deal IMO. When I owned my STS-V, for 2.5 years, I had $9,000 in warranty work done on that car. Keep in mind that I had to replace that dumb diff. bushing twice in 60k miles and the dealer price on that is $800 each time. The STS-V may have been Cadillac's flagship luxury car, but the engineering on the powertrain was plain dumb in certain locations. Had to replace your valve cover gaskets yet? You will eventually and I won't even detail how much of PITA that is because of the blower setup. Having to drop the subframe to change those motormounts? Are you kidding me? Stuff like that is the reason I did not want to keep the car past it's warranty period. I loved driving it...I owned one remember? I am not here to bash a vehicle that I had made the decision to purchase before. The maintenance items that you expect to have to change are not 'easy' to do and only dealer supplied parts are availabe in most cases.

You are absolutely right, no heated back seat. But I also live in phoenix and I don't think a single person has ever used my heated back seats so for me, I didn't care. It was a luxury item with no purpose. The heated wheel? Really? How many people on this forum have had that go bad and the dealer doesn't have a replacement! I will take my alcantara wheel and shifter over the POS ones on the STS-V any day. Absolutely right about the HUD, I wish the CTS-V had the HUD option. That is definitely a win for the STS-V IMO. I never had the runcraps on my STS-V, ran PS2's and yoko's during the life of the car. And I can promise you that the STS-V never rode as nicely as the CTS-V, ever. This suspension is amazing. And hopefully if the shocks leak at all, it is sometime in the next 4 years and they are replaced under warranty. As far as the grill, matter of opinion, even 550stsv on here wanted to swap his for CTS-V grill. It has depth to it, looks better quality. The one on the STS-V IMO looks like that mesh crap that ricers throw on their Honda. The dash in the CTS-V is stitched...I can take pictures for you. And the leather is much thicker on the dash and seats so I am not worried about these seats cracking anytime soon. And how many people on here have had to repair or replace their STS-V dash because it peels up? Personally I think the heater/ac controls look alot more classy on the CTS-V than the 1990s style display on the STS-V...but that is just my opinion. I have owned both, I could have gotten a practically brand new STS-V again if I wanted to...but I opted for the CTS-V after a few months of research and driving various cars. I do not think I made the wrong decision for what I was looking for and what mattered to me. They are two different cars and the individual will need to decide which better suits their interest. The STS-V is a helluva bang for the buck...no doubt...but a car and powertrain that is out of production forever scares me and I have no doubts that LS-series parts will be around for decades.

1madstsv
04-25-13, 05:25 PM
I personally could care less abought many of the things people complain abought with the Ctsv just hit the gas and you will not notice them lol. But the op asked abought both cars. And the op may be one of those people that it bothered enought to post abought. And at 1-4 years old and 40-75k can he live with said problems. As for the grill it may look nice but it's still plastic at the end of the day same as in my 2011 3500 truck even looks the same. I now have a nice custom painted Tahoe to hall people so im looking to flip my 08 v in hopes of finding a 11-12 blue wagon in manual. And I will turn it in to a 750hp play toy.

BlownV
04-25-13, 06:00 PM
There is a 2012 750hp silver wagon here in Scottsdale for sale right now...I looked at...love the wagon, but I just couldn't quite convince myself to get a wagon. I don't know why lol. Looking forward to a mountain drive tonight though :)

PNBLWZD
04-26-13, 12:37 AM
BlownV - Is your black diamond sedan the one that was for sale in Los Angeles (Van Nuys) a month or two ago?

Guy.Seminerio
04-26-13, 01:49 AM
OK thanks for all the input. All this stuff matters to me. If I go to a CTS-V it needs to still be under warranty. And I need to extend. Got it. My STS-V warranty is actually expired and I am now left warranty-less. little scary. Obviously I know I gotta drive it myself and see, but there are certain things I wanted to know about the car that I couldn't learn by driving it, so thanks again for dropping all your knowledge guys.

BlownV
04-26-13, 11:40 AM
Yup, that is the one. Thousand Oaks, CA. Talked the guy down a few grand in price and got him to pay for new tires for it as well. He told me he had one other guy look at it who had a STS-V, figured it was someone on here! Lol

PNBLWZD
04-26-13, 12:46 PM
Yep that was me. I would have bought it, but didn't want 2 cars while waiting for my stsv to sell. Nice car though, congrats. Cool he covered the tires as the fronts were shot, never saw fronts worn like that.

BlownV
04-26-13, 12:57 PM
Thanks, yea, I lucked out...sold my STS-V two days beforehand and then took a flight out there to pick it up. It was a busy week. Cool thing is that the new owner of STS-V is taking it to SEMA so I will get to see her again!

parkeraire
04-28-13, 11:17 PM
Congrats on the new ride

Guy.Seminerio
04-29-13, 01:47 AM
On Friday morning I took a drive to Cadillac of Fayetteville to test drive a CTS-V. They usually have a bunch on the lot, but they only had one and it was on display inside. No problem, they insisted. Silver, looked good. Was either a 2012 or 2013. You should know my intent is not to insult anyone here. I'm just giving you guys my opinion here. Bottom line is this.. The CTS-V feels like a cheaper car. I know it is cheaper but it also feels cheaper. I can't put my finger on what it is, might be a combination of things. First of all, the steering wheel is very hard, (the leather feels thinner,) I presume for improved road feel? Next, it's noisier in there. Not complaining about engine, supercharger and exhaust (exhaust being the biggest difference vs the STS-V) but the tire noise. And there are little things.. Not crazy about the unpainted plastic on the back bumper (rear diffuser?) I like how our bumper is fully painted, (with the stainless steel thing.) I didn't like the unpainted plastic on my 07 STS. I'm guessing it was done to reduce visual height of the bumper, but it was a good move when that was done away with in 08+ STSs. Either paint it body color, or a big trend in the auto industry is the whole black gloss thing. Paint it black. Speaking of painting things back, how bout those B pillars? In my opinion, those need to be painted black, not just left as unpainted plastic. The brand new 3 series has this issue too. All of the bigger bimmers have the b pillars painted from what I've seen. Either way, I believe this is a bad place to cut costs and a needed improvement on the CTS-V. Then there's the interior. The interior vs the regular CTS is all grey plastic is replaced with black gloss plastic. No other changes. That being said, I like that there is some kind of soft padding under the leather, especially on the dash, but the leather itself is prepared in a way that gives it a plastic-y feel. If you do a little research, you'll see different ways leather is prepped for use in cars and other stuff, and how preparing them certain (lesser) ways can result in a more plastic-y feel. The rest of the leather on the door panels has a rubbery feel. I love the feel of the leather in the STS-V. Also, there are more exposed plastic surfaces in the CTS-V than in the STS-V. As I've said in the past, the interior of the door pockets are lined in leather in the STS-V. It's extreme so I'd say it's a great plus for the STS-V, not a shame on the CTS-V. By the way, don't get me wrong people, that car is f@#$%& fast. The traction control (for the one minute I put it back on) cannot keep up when the back tires spin loose on acceleration. That thing really pulls. The car is smaller, and it feels it. I now got to experience the whole luxury car with performance vs performance car with luxury thing and it is a very accurate description of STS-V vs CTS-V, respectively. That being said, This is a Cadillac, and there is a certain level of luxury missing. This is supposed to be GM's top dog. Cadillac. Yet there is still compromise, whereas it seems GM compromised a lot less in the STS-V. (we know of course they DID compromise. See the SAE 100.) And the HUD.. what a missed opportunity. I found my spoiled self looking down a lot longer than I remember myself looking down before I was ever spoiled with HUD. My buddy's 2007 BMW X5 has a HUD. They've been offering it in the STS since 2005? Pretty sure a rudimentary version was available on early 90's nissans. Why doesn't a 2012/13 CADILLAC have it? A ~$70k Cadillac. It's optional in an ATS. Can't get it with a manual transmission though. More compromise. Anyway, I'm getting off topic. The CTS-V should've been a high performance Buick. Cadillac deserves better. Again, don't take this stuff personally please. It truly is an incredible car. If you want raw performance, it's the car for you..but then again, the Corvette is the car for you too. The level of luxury in the CTS-V should be the expected level of luxury on the Corvette, and the CTS-V should be a step up from what it is right now. I think you guys get where I'm going with this. Besides being a beautifully designed car, there is nothing very "premium" about it. My only issue with my STS-V is that it isn't under warranty. So I thought about it for a while and was leaning towards moving to a CTS-V that is still under warranty, and extending. Then I test drove the CTS-V and it made me appreciate what i have. i love my car that much more now. The STS-V is an incredible car. I couldn't part with it. As a matter of fact, the only car that has the power to make me get rid of my car is a little car called the 2015 CTS-V. That will be my next ride. So until then, when something goes wrong with it, it'll come out of pocket unfortunately. That's the end of that chapter for now. Thanks for all your input guys, and thanks to the CTS-V owners for jumping in here as well.

Charles Warren
04-29-13, 02:49 PM
oldsmobile introduced hud first then pontiac, then nissan. but i like the night vision cadillac used in the dts's but most think mercedes started it first.

Guy.Seminerio
04-29-13, 06:56 PM
DTS started LED tail lamps too. Started in 2000.

BlownV
04-29-13, 07:51 PM
No problem and glad you took the time to truly investigate it for yourself. Everyone is going to have a different perspective and appreciate/rank different features in different ways. I can definitely understand everything you said and don't necessarily disagree with any of it. You want luxury...a cadillac with power, I wanted a corvette that seats 4 lol. One thing you brought up I honestly had no understanding of was the quality of feel in the steering wheel...every CTS-V I have driven has the alcantara (microsuede) finish on the wheel and shifter so I never even knew it was that bad. Either way, all that matters is that you love what you drive.

Guy.Seminerio
04-29-13, 08:27 PM
Thanks. The leather steering wheel was hard relative to the one on the STS-V. It really is an incredible car though. Can't wait for the new CTS-V.

1madstsv
04-29-13, 08:34 PM
Yep that's what it is a 4 door corvette. That's why I can't bring my self to get rid of my Stsv on a Ctsv and still keep my corvette. But also can't bring my self to get rid of the vette and v on one. My vette gets 28mpg hwy. and run 11.7@120 on street tires. And 10.5@137 on spray. And I have won car shows with it and also autocross events 1st in my class. So it a good allaround car that's paid for. And as for the Stsv it's 85% of the performance and it's Got all the options and class you expect from a caddy.

STS LC3
04-29-13, 10:04 PM
Damn! I think I need a couple of more cars just to keep up with you guys. I guess I better start working on the wife (already have her sold on a 65/66 GTO) :yup:

Guy.Seminerio
04-29-13, 11:28 PM
God forbid I get a high paying job.. My kids won't have a backyard. It'll be one big garage full of cars. Was in charleston this past weekend (didn't take my car) and saw a red 61 coupe deville or eldorado not sure which. Stunning car. I've always loved the 59 eldorado biarritz. Such a stunning car. Saw a white one in my neighborhood back in NY once. I'm good with my 79 coupe deville for now though. Real head turner. Love that long hood with the cadillac hood ornament at the end. Tank, easy to work on, nothing but room under the long hood. 7.0 liter v8. Sucks gas down like nothing else. Love it though

BlownV
04-30-13, 12:30 AM
I think I am going to keep the CTS-V close to stock...use it for groceries, roadtrips and eventually the babyseat. I am waiting on the new Z06/ZR1 for my toy car. The new CTS-V will be a beast I am sure, but with all the talk of 700+hp for the new ZR1, that will be the track car.

BlownV
01-03-14, 02:20 PM
Just a quick revive to a very old thread bc I remembered saying this 6 months ago...the cts-v is no longer stock. Just couldn't say no to the easy power. 700hp, drives exactly like stock and sounds stock with the cutouts closed. Looking forward to tossing on the DR's and putting in a few runs at the strip.

Guy.Seminerio
01-03-14, 08:59 PM
Nice. Since this has been brought back up I'll note a couple of things I've learned. In reference to post 35, my long post, the dash and door panels didn't feel up to par with the leather on the sts-v, not because the leather in the cts is of a lesser quality, but because it is not in fact leather at all. It is a vinyl. Still looks decent. The new ats executes the stitched vinyl much better. Much more convincing as leather. Also, I believe the steering wheel on the ctsv was "harder" because it wasn't a heated wheel though it is now available on ctsvs.

I just wanted to clarify this for anyone who happened to use this thread to make this decision in the future. The cts-v is still absolutely a brute in terms of performance and it's a stunner visually.

Good to hear you're doing so well with modifying your car. Let us know how you do at the strip.

dl72
01-03-14, 11:32 PM
I had an STS-V that I sold to my brother because I bought a CTS-V coupe. I think the STS-V interior is nicer, but the CTS-V is not bad. The CTS-V has a better NAV and updated technology compared to the STS-V. I like having a built-in hard drive where I can store all of my songs. Power wise though, there is no comparison. The CTS-V hands down over the STS-V. The STS-V is no slouch, but it is not close to the CTS-V as far as acceleration goes. Would I buy another STS-V, yes I would.

ChurchSTSV
01-04-14, 12:42 AM
I had an STS-V that I sold to my brother because I bought a CTS-V coupe. I think the STS-V interior is nicer, but the CTS-V is not bad. The CTS-V has a better NAV and updated technology compared to the STS-V. I like having a built-in hard drive where I can store all of my songs. Power wise though, there is no comparison. The CTS-V hands down over the STS-V. The STS-V is no slouch, but it is not close to the CTS-V as far as acceleration goes. Would I buy another STS-V, yes I would.

I like this post.

dl72
01-04-14, 11:45 AM
I like this post.

Thanks

rbzstsv
01-04-14, 12:35 PM
I'll race a stock v2 lol

dl72
01-04-14, 01:07 PM
I'll race a stock v2 lol

Is your STS-V stock?

rbzstsv
01-04-14, 04:30 PM
Maybe... Lol. No its not. Few more things to add. Porting, rotor, giggle juice. I hope to be around 525wph with n2o tune. We will see in the spring :)

dl72
01-04-14, 05:10 PM
Maybe... Lol. No its not. Few more things to add. Porting, rotor, giggle juice. I hope to be around 525wph with n2o tune. We will see in the spring :)

Cool. Good luck.

BlownV
01-06-14, 12:37 PM
Good luck finding a stock CTS-V. Considering you can spend about $1500 and get another 90-100hp out of a V2 almost everyone does it. I did intake, cat delete, pulley and tune...+110hp through a stout drivetrain.

rbzstsv
01-06-14, 01:05 PM
Guy next door has one lol. Found it.

BlownV
01-06-14, 09:57 PM
And he races? The only stock ones I know of are guys that think it already has too much power for them? lol

rbzstsv
01-07-14, 10:37 AM
You make a ton of vague generalizations while trying to prove a point. So there's more modified V2s than stock one? Everyone that has a modified V2 races? Everyone that has a stock one never gets on it? You seem pretty butt hurt over the idea that a modified sts v is faster than a stock CTS v.

dl72
01-07-14, 12:06 PM
I have a 2012 CTS-V that is stock. I may eventually do some mods, but right now I am happy with it and the power it has. Plus I am still under warranty, so modifying it would give the dealer an excuse to void the warranty.

BlownV
01-07-14, 07:40 PM
Not butt hurt, honestly I don't really care. I was simply trying to offer some advice to those with an STS-V that are trying to mod it and make it fast. I have been on both sides of this fence, owned both cars, etc. It's advice, take it or leave it. It's very easy for someone who has only owned the one vehicle to defend their decision and be very biased in their defense bc who is honestly going to agree until they go see for themselves. I was on this forum for 3 years, I know the details on the STS-V, so I'm not trying to be very vague by any means. I was actually trying to offer some beneficial information to those going down the path of trying to push a lot of power out a drivetrain that is troublesome.

No, not EVERYONE with a V2 races but I can honestly say that of the 30 or 40 ppl with V2's that I do know, every single one of them does push their car from time to time. If you aren't, then why the hell are you forking out the money for a 556hp car to begin with?

One quick question, who does have the fastest time on here now? It was TimmyC with his turbo back when I was on here...12.2 in the 1/4 mile I believe. Still slower than a stock V2. Just saying.

dl72
01-07-14, 10:31 PM
Not butt hurt, honestly I don't really care. I was simply trying to offer some advice to those with an STS-V that are trying to mod it and make it fast. I have been on both sides of this fence, owned both cars, etc. It's advice, take it or leave it. It's very easy for someone who has only owned the one vehicle to defend their decision and be very biased in their defense bc who is honestly going to agree until they go see for themselves. I was on this forum for 3 years, I know the details on the STS-V, so I'm not trying to be very vague by any means. I was actually trying to offer some beneficial information to those going down the path of trying to push a lot of power out a drivetrain that is troublesome. No, not EVERYONE with a V2 races but I can honestly say that of the 30 or 40 ppl with V2's that I do know, every single one of them does push their car from time to time. If you aren't, then why the hell are you forking out the money for a 556hp car to begin with? One quick question, who does have the fastest time on here now? It was TimmyC with his turbo back when I was on here...12.2 in the 1/4 mile I believe. Still slower than a stock V2. Just saying.

I agree with you. I had an STS-V and now a CTS-V. The CTS-V is quicker than the STS-V, stock for stock. If you mod an STS-V of course it will be quicker, but the same can be said for the CTS-V. The STS-V is no slouch, but the CTS-V has better get up and go. I have pushed both cars, and, I can tell the difference. You can't go wrong with either car though. Both are great in their own right. If you want a car with power that has luxury, get the CTS-V. If you want a luxury car with power, get a STS-V. I sold my STS-V to my brother because I want the power. I like both cars though.

BlownV
01-08-14, 12:24 AM
dl72, hit the nail on the head. That phrase is the same one I used 6 months ago. Luxury with power, STS-V. Power with luxury, CTS-V. That is all I am trying to say...and for those who perhaps have an STS-V and are feeling the urge for something faster, I would make the recommendation that you save the money to grab a V2 rather than go down the mod path on the STS-V. Just my .02.

Guy.Seminerio
01-08-14, 12:25 AM
Yep I still remember that to this day. Luxury with power vs power with luxury. Best way to put it.

dl72
01-08-14, 12:26 AM
dl72, hit the nail on the head. That phrase is the same one I used 6 months ago. Luxury with power, STS-V. Power with luxury, CTS-V. That is all I am trying to say...and for those who perhaps have an STS-V and are feeling the urge for something faster, I would make the recommendation that you save the money to grab a V2 rather than go down the mod path on the STS-V. Just my .02. I agree with you. So much out there for aftermarket parts for the V2.

wake
01-08-14, 11:13 PM
Good luck finding a stock CTS-V. Considering you can spend about $1500 and get another 90-100hp out of a V2 almost everyone does it. I did intake, cat delete, pulley and tune...+110hp through a stout drivetrain.

That's one thing I kinda like about the STS-V, expensive to mod so not many people do it, easy to find a stock vehicle. I'm always concerned when buying a high performance vehicle about the previous owner's treatment of the car. Back in the day when I was looking at Trans Ams, IROC Camaros, and even 4th generation Corvettes I had a hard time finding anything used that wasn't modded, abused, or both.

I've never driven a CTS-V, only the standard model but I do like the styling of the wagon (I must be getting old). I prefer the STS though, for one reason is that I don't see many around, and overall I just like the way it's laid out, both inside and out. It's got plenty of pep for me to be cresting 100mph on some of the on-ramps around here when I feel like it, I don't see the need to worry about having 500, 600, etc WHP. Again, I must be getting old. LOL.

93DevilleUSMC
01-14-14, 08:36 PM
I'm interested in the STS-V just because there are good '08s selling for $25k, and '07s going for $23k. I might just get one in a few months to a year or so. First, I want to get at least $10k together for a down payment.

Guy.Seminerio
01-14-14, 09:51 PM
It's a great car. Just dont make the mistake of thinking this 25k car is going to be as cheap to maintain as a brand new 25k car. Other than that you'll enjoy it very much. Good luck.

93DevilleUSMC
01-14-14, 11:51 PM
I intend to buy an extended warranty with it if I can, or just keep some rainy day cash aside for fixing surprise issues. Also, I've heard that only specially trained GM mechanics know how to service the 4.4. True or false?

Guy.Seminerio
01-15-14, 10:35 AM
The rainy day fund might be your only way to go. With this car getting older and older the extended warranties are expiring on even the later models.

Not sure about the 4.4. As far as I know nobody is actually specially trained. The person in charge of the service department can hire whoever he wants. So hypothetically he could hire his son straight out of high school with no prior knowledge as a mechanic. I think GM needs to have a tighter grip on their dealers. I could be wrong about all this by the way. The way I understand it is they do what the book says. That's it. Anyone that can read and has the tools and equipment can do what they do. Rarely will you find a tech who will try to diagnose the problem off of common sense and knowledge. Rather they look up the symptoms and start with the first fix. That doesn't work, they go to number 2, etc.

Again I could be wrong. I have heard of techs who are certified to work on v series cars but I have to wonder what this entails. All they're doing is following instructions from a service manual (which they sometimes manage to screw up) so how is that different from say your Deville and our car. It's following instructions.

Someone else will chime in here.

----------

To add to that, if you read this thread from page 1 you'll have seen blown v's comment regarding servicing this car. He makes a good point. Being that the car is rare, techs deal with them less. I'm willing to bet there are plenty of dealers who never see one at all. Whereas the cts-v being a regular production (vs limited production) vehicle is much more common so you can have a little more confidence that your tech is somewhat familiar with your car. I happen to know of 1 other sts-v my current service department services. It's an 08. Anyway, that's a potential downside to this car. Worth it though.

Ludacrisvp
01-15-14, 11:37 AM
When my extended warranty expires its almost $4k to get the same coverage I have now for 1 year/12k miles.
I paid $2700 for my current one that was for 3 (maybe 4) years and 48,000 miles so I'll be covered until just under 110k or if my timer expires first.
So once this one is done I'll have to use the rainy day method instead.

bobs-sts-v
01-15-14, 11:58 AM
Hope you have a big "rainy day" bucket, because nothing on this car is inexpensive to repair. Took mine in for bad wheel bearing, and after the inspection, they told me $5800. Both front bearings, bad pinion seal, bad axle seals (rebuild rearend), several minor leaks, etc. Since I am out of warranty (expired in Dec), this would all come out of pocket. Time to get serious about a replacement!! And my dealer has a very experienced tech who works only on the Vs - same guy last 6 years. Knows my car pretty well.
Bob

BlownV
01-15-14, 12:43 PM
Bob,
This was the reason I sold my STS-V. Dealer repair costs through the roof and I did not trust any mom and pop shops to take care of the car. Yes I could fix the car myself and did on several occasions, I am an engineer by profession and enjoy working on vehicles, but I like working on my car at my leisure...not because something is broken and HAS to be done immediately. Getting stuck working a few 70 hr weeks in a row to get a product out the door, the last thing I want to do is be in the garage at midnight or all weekend trying to fix leaking seals to avoid $$$$ getting drained from my pockets at the dealer.

93DevilleUSMC
01-15-14, 01:49 PM
The rainy day fund might be your only way to go. With this car getting older and older the extended warranties are expiring on even the later models.

Not sure about the 4.4. As far as I know nobody is actually specially trained. The person in charge of the service department can hire whoever he wants. So hypothetically he could hire his son straight out of high school with no prior knowledge as a mechanic. I think GM needs to have a tighter grip on their dealers. I could be wrong about all this by the way. The way I understand it is they do what the book says. That's it. Anyone that can read and has the tools and equipment can do what they do. Rarely will you find a tech who will try to diagnose the problem off of common sense and knowledge. Rather they look up the symptoms and start with the first fix. That doesn't work, they go to number 2, etc.

Again I could be wrong. I have heard of techs who are certified to work on v series cars but I have to wonder what this entails. All they're doing is following instructions from a service manual (which they sometimes manage to screw up) so how is that different from say your Deville and our car. It's following instructions.

Someone else will chime in here.

----------

To add to that, if you read this thread from page 1 you'll have seen blown v's comment regarding servicing this car. He makes a good point. Being that the car is rare, techs deal with them less. I'm willing to bet there are plenty of dealers who never see one at all. Whereas the cts-v being a regular production (vs limited production) vehicle is much more common so you can have a little more confidence that your tech is somewhat familiar with your car. I happen to know of 1 other sts-v my current service department services. It's an 08. Anyway, that's a potential downside to this car. Worth it though.

When my extended warranty expires its almost $4k to get the same coverage I have now for 1 year/12k miles.
I paid $2700 for my current one that was for 3 (maybe 4) years and 48,000 miles so I'll be covered until just under 110k or if my timer expires first.
So once this one is done I'll have to use the rainy day method instead.

Hope you have a big "rainy day" bucket, because nothing on this car is inexpensive to repair. Took mine in for bad wheel bearing, and after the inspection, they told me $5800. Both front bearings, bad pinion seal, bad axle seals (rebuild rearend), several minor leaks, etc. Since I am out of warranty (expired in Dec), this would all come out of pocket. Time to get serious about a replacement!! And my dealer has a very experienced tech who works only on the Vs - same guy last 6 years. Knows my car pretty well.
Bob

Bob,
This was the reason I sold my STS-V. Dealer repair costs through the roof and I did not trust any mom and pop shops to take care of the car. Yes I could fix the car myself and did on several occasions, I am an engineer by profession and enjoy working on vehicles, but I like working on my car at my leisure...not because something is broken and HAS to be done immediately. Getting stuck working a few 70 hr weeks in a row to get a product out the door, the last thing I want to do is be in the garage at midnight or all weekend trying to fix leaking seals to avoid $$$$ getting drained from my pockets at the dealer.

Yikes...High repair costs and few who can repair the car? Something to think about. If nothing else, I can always go with an STS V-8. Still, I can't say I wouldn't pull the trigger on an STS-V if the right deal came along. Thanks for letting me hop in and ask some newbie questions, guys :D

Ludacrisvp
01-15-14, 02:18 PM
Yikes...High repair costs and few who can repair the car? Something to think about. If nothing else, I can always go with an STS V-8. Still, I can't say I wouldn't pull the trigger on an STS-V if the right deal came along. Thanks for letting me hop in and ask some newbie questions, guys :D
Honestly the V is only more expensive to fix _IF_ it has an engine / supercharger issue.
The STS V8 4.6L can have optional equipment not offered on the V that is expensive to fix too... Magnetic Ride Control and Adaptive Cruise Control are two big ticket items not offered on the V that can have costly repairs.
AFAIK 4.4L engine problems are rarer than 4.6L engine issues unless the owner did some modding to the engine without any brains in their head when doing so. That leaves the supercharger...
maintaining a V or a well equipped non-V STS is likely nearly the same cost.

93DevilleUSMC
01-15-14, 06:05 PM
Hmm. I didn't think about MRC or Adaptive Cruise Control. Maybe a V will remain on my options list, then.

ChurchSTSV
01-15-14, 06:18 PM
The V is worth it. I read the forums, I have worked service in many a dealer, I know how much service costs. I bought a warranty. I love this car. It's size, the luxury, the rarity, all of it. Totally worth it.

BlownV
01-15-14, 07:13 PM
The stuff that cost money on my STS-V to fix were all of the things that you see threads about on the first cpl of pages on here...some are just wear and tear items...others are luxury specific items...and others are V specific items. Example, leaking radiator (typical for any radiator with plastic caps on it that is getting up in age). On many other vehicles this cost would not be THAT bad since radiators are often used by manufacturers for several vehicles and there are aftermarket options. In this case the radiator on the V is dealer only (or was at the time I had the car) so that was a $1200 repair. Just things like that you need to be prepared for and honestly you can ask any honest dealer what the common repair items are on an STS-V and they will tell you. (wheel bearings, diff, diff bushing, nav, parking sensor, steering wheel, tstat, etc).

93DevilleUSMC
01-15-14, 10:43 PM
The stuff that cost money on my STS-V to fix were all of the things that you see threads about on the first cpl of pages on here...some are just wear and tear items...others are luxury specific items...and others are V specific items. Example, leaking radiator (typical for any radiator with plastic caps on it that is getting up in age). On many other vehicles this cost would not be THAT bad since radiators are often used by manufacturers for several vehicles and there are aftermarket options. In this case the radiator on the V is dealer only (or was at the time I had the car) so that was a $1200 repair. Just things like that you need to be prepared for and honestly you can ask any honest dealer what the common repair items are on an STS-V and they will tell you. (wheel bearings, diff, diff bushing, nav, parking sensor, steering wheel, tstat, etc).

A lot of it sounds like normal wear mechanical items or just old electronics. That steering wheel, though, what goes wrong there?

----------

The V is worth it...... I love this car. It's size, the luxury, the rarity, all of it. Totally worth it.

All the reasons that I like it, too!

Ludacrisvp
01-15-14, 10:57 PM
That steering wheel, though, what goes wrong there?
The heater in the steering wheel to warm your hands fails often, my car is on its 3rd wheel. Not that you'd need that in GA.

93DevilleUSMC
01-15-14, 11:16 PM
The heater in the steering wheel to warm your hands fails often, my car is on its 3rd wheel. Not that you'd need that in GA.

That's what gloves are for anyway lol. Now, we can get some single digit winters here, but it's rare.

Guy.Seminerio
01-15-14, 11:24 PM
As long as what happens in this video isn't what goes wrong with the steering wheel you're good.
http://jalopnik.com/5927391/watch-the-steering-wheel-come-off-a-rally-car-in-the-middle-of-a-stage

93DevilleUSMC
01-16-14, 02:29 AM
As long as what happens in this video isn't what goes wrong with the steering wheel you're good.
http://jalopnik.com/5927391/watch-the-steering-wheel-come-off-a-rally-car-in-the-middle-of-a-stage

Yeahhh definitely don't want that...

93DevilleUSMC
01-16-14, 05:39 AM
Now I have to decide whether I want black or silver. Wheels will have to be aftermarket black or graphite.

BlownV
01-16-14, 10:21 AM
93DevilleUSMC,

Take a look through a few pages of the threads on here and you can see the common replacement items. Like I said, most of it is typical wear and tear...you just need to be prepared for the higher than average cost of these wear and tear items because in some cases the STS-V is the only vehicle that uses those parts. One other that comes to mind is motor mounts...they leak and fail and are a giant pain to replace. Mine were done under warranty but the cost was over $1500. Also, the electronic things tend to be pretty pricey since they have to be done through the dealer.

Side note...USMC?....ever fired a SMAW?

93DevilleUSMC
01-16-14, 12:11 PM
Will do. I definitely want to get some research done on this. And my name comes from tearing up a hip in boot camp, spending months in rehab, getting med boarded out, and buying a '93 Deville from Fort Gillem's "lemon lot" with my boot pay. I joined CF soon after, needed a name, and picked the first one that came to mind. So, no SMAW for me. How about you?

----------

On the original topic, I've test-driven a CTS-V2 and loved it, but the cheapest used one I ever saw was $31k. STS-V wins bigtime on sale price.

BlownV
01-16-14, 01:10 PM
yes sir, on the engineering team and working a couple of development projects for the new version

93DevilleUSMC
01-16-14, 01:18 PM
Ahh, nice! You get paid to build weapons for a living. How's the current SMAW performing thus far?

BlownV
01-16-14, 03:02 PM
Current smaw does well. But we'll make it better.

93DevilleUSMC
01-16-14, 06:34 PM
Things that go boom are good. Making them do so more loudly is even better.