: Can you help me find a (used) V?

Gootz
04-22-13, 05:39 PM
I am finally at the point where I am actively seeking out a used V to buy. I'm located near Los Angeles and prefer a local buy to avoid some obvious hassles, but if the perfect deal is across the country I would consider it. I've been spending a lot of time sorting through the inventory (mostly auto trader, cars.com and craigslist) and would really appreciate any help you guys can provide. Perhaps I've overlooked some or am missing out on searching on other sites. Either way, figured asking you for help couldn't hurt my hunt. :yup:

Here are the specs I'm looking for in the car:

My budget is $45k all in (including tax, fees, etc.). I am ready to buy the car now and have cash in hand. If the price is close to that I would consider going a hair over for the ideal car. That said, don't hesitate to share a link if it's listed at $47k or $48k as I have no problem negotiating. :sneaky:

Here are my preferred options (unless otherwise noted):

1. Wagon is ideal - would buy a sedan though since wagons are harder to come by
2. 2011+ (would "settle" for a 2010 as it's tough to find 2011+ in my price range)
4. Lower mileage (20k or less)
5. Auto (must have)
6. Suede steering wheel and shifter (not a deal killer if it doesn't have these)
7. Recaro seats (must have)
8. Ultraview sunroof (also not a deal killer, but highly preferred)
9. Red

I'm somewhat flexible on color, but red is my absolute favorite and much preferred. Then followed by thunder gray, then mocha, tricolor white and then black diamond. Interior color I prefer ebony, but titanium is acceptable (I have a young daughter and dogs...). Any other additional features are fine, but not required.

Appreciate any links/help you can provide.

Thanks!

----------

I just came across this one. After speaking with the sales manager I learned it was in an accident on the front driver's side. Such a bummer because this is such a nice combo with very low miles: http://richardhibbardautocenter.com/preowned/2011-Cadillac-CTS-V-California-1G6DV5EP2B0111693.htm

vfaninva
04-23-13, 12:26 AM
Cargurus.com is one site I used. Good luck!

Boosted2000si
04-23-13, 12:43 AM
Are you aware that $45k minus an assumed 7% of sales tax is a car of $41850?

Then if a dealer charges a fee of a typical $500 and then $200 tag and title. $41150.

Basically if $45k is your all in, you need to shop a $42-$43k car and hope those negotiation skills are up to par. :)

oneman42
04-23-13, 12:45 AM
Here are my preferred options (unless otherwise noted):

7. Recaro seats (must have)

Thanks!

----------

I just came across this one. After speaking with the sales manager I learned it was in an accident on the front driver's side. Such a bummer because this is such a nice combo with very low miles: http://richardhibbardautocenter.com/preowned/2011-Cadillac-CTS-V-California-1G6DV5EP2B0111693.htm

Not to mention this one has the standard seats.
George

Gootz
04-23-13, 01:18 AM
Cargurus.com is one site I used. Good luck!
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Are you aware that $45k minus an assumed 7% of sales tax is a car of $41850?

Then if a dealer charges a fee of a typical $500 and then $200 tag and title. $41150.

Basically if $45k is your all in, you need to shop a $42-$43k car and hope those negotiation skills are up to par. :)
I do realize I have high expectations, but I have a friend who has his dealer's license. He ran a search on what each year is going for and the range for 2010 and 2011 was within my budget according to the database he uses. So there are deals to be had, I just have to be diligent. Hence my request for help. :)

I am in sales, so my negotiating skills better be up to par. ;)

Not to mention this one has the standard seats.
George
Indeed, but the 2-tone somewhat made up for the lack of recaros.

dennych
04-23-13, 02:15 AM
I'm in LA and traveled to Oklahoma to buy mine from a private party (It was Wagon or nothing for me)
Since you're open to others you may have better luck in LA. But I recommend checking autotrader or a general feel of pricing. Don't be afraid to go a bit further.

Gootz
04-23-13, 03:23 PM
I'm in LA and traveled to Oklahoma to buy mine from a private party (It was Wagon or nothing for me)
Since you're open to others you may have better luck in LA. But I recommend checking autotrader or a general feel of pricing. Don't be afraid to go a bit further.
When did you buy your wagon? If you don't mind me asking, what are the specs on it and what did you pay?

dennych
04-23-13, 06:33 PM
When did you buy your wagon? If you don't mind me asking, what are the specs on it and what did you pay?

Pm sent :)

Gootz
04-23-13, 06:50 PM
Pm sent :)

Thanks!

DavidPR
04-24-13, 01:24 PM
Autotrader.com, cars.com, carmax.com, the internet is your friend.
I got my 09 for under 40K. You should be able to find an 09 in good condition and decent mileage with your budget. Just keep an eye for warranty-blocked cars such as Monticello/m&m auto group previously owned cars. Do a Carfax and get a warranty quote before you buy.

Gootz
05-03-13, 01:49 PM
I've got a deal pending on a 2010 Sedan, Red/Titanium with Recaros, auto, polished wheels, ultraview, sapele wood trim, clean title and 28k miles for a hair over 44k. It is a CPO car, so I'll have 2.5 years of warranty left, but I will have to transport it which will be just under $1k. I'm very tempted to buy it, but I've got a few things keeping me from outright pulling the trigger. First, I will likely be buying this sight unseen, but I have seen detailed pictures and will be face timing it with the owner later to do a walk around. Not driving it and seeing it in person seems like a big risk. Second, it has 3 rock chips on the front end, a door ding and 2 lightly scratched rims that should be easily repairable. Cost to fix these should be ~$300. Third, it's got over 28k miles on it and I was really hoping to find something with less than 20k. Not THAT big of a deal, but 28k miles is 28k miles...

Thoughts on the deal?

vfaninva
05-03-13, 02:45 PM
44 thousand for 2010 w/28k miles on it sounds reasonable. Anybody would be nervous buying a car unseen (especially used). Buying CPO does help but I would unwilling to accept chips, dings, scratched rims, etc on my new car.

thebigjimsho
05-03-13, 03:35 PM
Go buy it in person!

Gootz
05-03-13, 04:08 PM
44 thousand for 2010 w/28k miles on it sounds reasonable. Anybody would be nervous buying a car unseen (especially used). Buying CPO does help but I would unwilling to accept chips, dings, scratched rims, etc on my new car. Yes, I am not keen on buying a car with any imperfections. However, I can get the ding and wheels fixed for $300. The paint/rock chips have already been filled, so are barely noticeable. Short of repainting the entire bumper it is what it is.

According to edmunds and KBB it is a pretty solid deal ($1k-2k under) listing price. Taking into consideration the transportation fee back and that diminishes the great deal aspect and makes it a reasonable deal. =\ I have to say though, that at this price, to get a 2.5 yr warranty makes me feel a whole helluva lot better.

Go buy it in person!
I am working with the owner where he will fly me out on his dime for me to check it out. I will obviously bring my magnifying glass (joke) and check it over closely along with taking a nice test drive. The thing that is comforting is the warranty and the owner's willingness to make me feel comfortable with the deal.

If I do end up buying it, I will either have it professionally transported back to my house or drive it back myself (not fond of this option due to the 2 day drive and the extra mileage on the car.

thebigjimsho
05-03-13, 06:37 PM
I had a 2000 mile drive back from TX. Best part about buying my V...

vfaninva
05-03-13, 08:24 PM
Based on your last post, the current owner must be pretty confident to pay for you to fly out to look it over. Might be worth the time. I'd give it a shot. Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Gootz
05-03-13, 08:51 PM
I had a 2000 mile drive back from TX. Best part about buying my V...
I've done long drives before which are definitely enjoyable. I was thinking more about the extra 2k miles I'd be putting on the car bringing her over 30k. :bigroll: I am buying her to drive her though...

Now you have me thinking.

Based on your last post, the current owner must be pretty confident to pay for you to fly out to look it over. Might be worth the time. I'd give it a shot. Good luck and let us know how it works out!
Indeed, that was my feeling on it too. He's been real up front about everything, but maybe he's just a good poker player and is calling my bluff with the flight out. :lildevil:

The more I talk this through the more I think I'll be taking a flight out there next week (assuming the face time walk through pans out). Whatever the case may be, I'd rather do my homework and make a smart, well informed decision.

dennych
05-06-13, 12:27 AM
if they're willing to fly you out I recommend you do it.

Transport is no issue. I transported mine halfway across the country :)

neuronbob
05-06-13, 12:37 PM
Drive it back.

It will be a fun drive and will give you a chance to get to know your "new to you" car.

flatrockguy
05-06-13, 01:06 PM
If you want to pm me the VIN I can check out its history.

choigilligan
05-07-13, 02:50 AM
Where is the car. If its not on the East Coast I cant see it costing 1000.00 to ship. I'm on CentralDispatch so I can tell you what they go for if you want.

Gootz
05-07-13, 07:56 PM
if they're willing to fly you out I recommend you do it.

Transport is no issue. I transported mine halfway across the country :)
That is comforting to know. I've heard opposite stories from some, but the majority are smooth transactions.

Drive it back.

It will be a fun drive and will give you a chance to get to know your "new to you" car.
If I decide to buy this one I probably will just drive it back. The time it would take to fly there, then fly back I could already be halfway home. :)

If you want to pm me the VIN I can check out its history.
PM sent.

Where is the car. If its not on the East Coast I cant see it costing 1000.00 to ship. I'm on CentralDispatch so I can tell you what they go for if you want.
It's in Missouri. The cost is ~$750 according to uship.com. I sent you a PM with the details as I'm curious what you see it for.