: Spare Tire?

ImEpayne
04-22-13, 01:51 PM
I bought a set of new wheels and tires for my V1 and have the stock set laying around. Not too big of a market out there for 6-lug car wheels. Also, the V doesnt come with any kind of spare.

Do any of you carry a spare with your V? and a Jack? and a lug wrench?

Considering keeping one of these stockers as a spare and selling the other 3 out to other people that had the same idea. But, I'm concerned with getting stuck with 1 or 2 wheels and being useless.

Has anyone else done this or bought just one? or would I have better luck selling the set. (which is a b word to ship)

This is not a thread to try and sell my wheels, just seeing what other people have done.

nvthev
04-22-13, 02:28 PM
I just bought a spare wheel and tire off eBay for a spare . I'm going to ditch the runflats one my next set of wheels.

Sell as a set first, if no takers, sell them one at a time.
I paid $200 shipped rim (in nice shape) and tire (half tread)

H-town_V
04-22-13, 02:58 PM
I bought an extra tire and rim for $180 as a spare. Only problem is it doesn't fit flush in the truck. I've been looking to find a shop that can take an inch outta the width so it will fit.

RippyPartsDept
04-22-13, 03:01 PM
might not fit over your calipers if you take an inch out of the width
that's something to consider

Hoghead
04-22-13, 03:17 PM
I bought an extra tire and rim for $180 as a spare. Only problem is it doesn't fit flush in the truck. I've been looking to find a shop that can take an inch outta the width so it will fit.

Have you tried turning the spare upside down. Mine does not sit exactly flush but is no where near an inch to tall. Stock wheel and stock tire size.

CoSteve
04-22-13, 04:08 PM
ImEpayne -

Your mailbox is full. If you are interested in selling those wheels, please let me know.

Steve

AAIIIC
04-22-13, 04:23 PM
www.weldcraft.com

might not fit over your calipers if you take an inch out of the width
that's something to consider
The mounting pad and spokes wouldn't be affected at all, so I don't see how caliper clearance would change. They would just be taking an inch off the back of the wheel.

Have you tried turning the spare upside down. Mine does not sit exactly flush but is no where near an inch to tall. Stock wheel and stock tire size.
I'd be curious to see a measurement with a straight edge across the tire measured to the trunk floor. I'm using a 225/50 on an 18x8" wheel and it still is wider than the spare tire well is deep. I can get the cover almost flush with the trunk floor if I crank down on the big plastic center nut thing.

I used to have a stock wheel/tire in there and the spare tire well cover sat up probably 3/4" from the trunk floor.

RippyPartsDept
04-22-13, 04:29 PM
The mounting pad and spokes wouldn't be affected at all, so I don't see how caliper clearance would change. They would just be taking an inch off the back of the wheel.

hmm.. i guess i was thinking that making the wheel narrower would affect the offset that would then potentially affect clearance over the calipers

but now that you mention the width just coming off the back i guess that makes sense that it wouldn't change how it mounts over the calipers

ImEpayne
04-22-13, 04:45 PM
Has anyone been stranded without a spare in their V?

thebigjimsho
04-22-13, 07:24 PM
The trunk will be almost flush if you put the stock wheel in spokes down. More than good enough for me...

odla
04-22-13, 07:54 PM
yup spokes down is how i have it.

trhs75
04-22-13, 09:37 PM
Can depend on the tire brand, also. Some have a thicker rub strip which can keep the cover sticking up a little more.

DDS rollin a CTS
04-23-13, 08:18 AM
Do any of you carry a spare with your V? and a Jack? and a lug wrench?

Considering keeping one of these stockers as a spare and selling the other 3 out to other people that had the same idea. But, I'm concerned with getting stuck with 1 or 2 wheels and being useless.

Has anyone else done this or bought just one? or would I have better luck selling the set. (which is a b word to ship)

The previous owner picked up an extra wheel for a spare and one of the jacks that comes with the regular CTS to set in the middle. The stock wheels that came with my car had a lot of curb rash and now on one especially the paint is starting to peel. I may be interested in buying one or two of your wheels if you end up splitting the set. As for shipping going parcel post through USPS actually isn't too bad. For packaging go to walmart and buy a couple of moving boxes that are about the size of the wheel when flattened. Just tape two flattened boxes to the face side of the wheel, and one to the back, then wrap the whole thing with plastic wrap and they'll be fine. I know because I've done it in the past, I can provide pictures if you'd like. Just don't slice the end of your finger off when cutting the plastic wrap like I did. :facepalm:

Just don't.

The trunk will be almost flush if you put the stock wheel in spokes down. More than good enough for me...

+eleventy

Pillow
04-26-13, 02:53 PM
I have the full jack and spare setup. Love it for the just-in-case factor. Also I think the extra weight in the rear actually helps stabalize the tail.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab9/apillowtype2/2005%20Cadillac%20CTS-V/048_zps2666d29f.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab9/apillowtype2/2005%20Cadillac%20CTS-V/059_zps01bf86e2.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab9/apillowtype2/2005%20Cadillac%20CTS-V/062_zpsd46be5cd.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab9/apillowtype2/2005%20Cadillac%20CTS-V/064_zps9b53c232.jpg

Yes, the cover rides 1/2"ish up from flush but with a cargo cover no one knows or cares. And I carry stuff like heavy groceries in my trunk once a week.

About $60 shipped for the normal CTS jack kit. Loads of them on Ebay. Plus about 100 for the spare wheel/tire, but it has some rash on the front side and the tire is low on tread.

easy!

ImEpayne
04-26-13, 03:12 PM
I think I'm going to go that route and keep one from my old set and sell the other 3. eventually I'll find 3 people interested in wanting a spare...

DDS rollin a CTS
04-26-13, 08:56 PM
The finish has started flaking off one of my stock wheels, which I use for winter tires, and the others are pretty badly rashed. What condition are your wheels in? I may be interested in one or all 3 for the right price.

Choppa'
04-27-13, 11:57 AM
Me to. I just need one (aleady have an extra tire). I am driving to Illinois from Oklahoma at the end of May and would hate to get stranded with a can of fix-a-flat lol

sideburnz2004
04-27-13, 03:15 PM
I too would be interested in one wheel, what would you be looking to get for them?

rand49er
04-27-13, 08:36 PM
Luke has spare tire kits.

Since I don't have an extra spare tire/wheel, I just put a can of fix-a-flat in the trunk. I would carry a spare, though, if I used my car as a DD.

Manofmetal01
04-28-13, 12:09 PM
Has anyone been stranded without a spare in their V?

Yes, 2 summers ago, on a weekend (everything is closed on weekends where I was), about 14+hr drive from home. Had an incident the previous night and decided this holiday was over, im going home and having the car repaired. On my way out...maybe an hour down the road my tire pressure warning came on...I eas watching the tire pressure drop very quickly. Pulled into a gas station and got a can of fixaflat...used it up, rolled the tire and theb arremptd to fill with air. Nope. No good. Phone calls the dealerships assured the runflats would get me somewhere...decided to risk pushing forward in search of a tire shop rather than limp back where I started.
Long story short, found the only shop open in the area (canadian tire), found the rim to be bent and a 2" gash on the inside wall. The fact the runflat had made it as long as it did before losing air and then getting me where I needed made them worth it. But a full size spare in invaluable. I have not yet but will get one

ImEpayne
04-28-13, 02:44 PM
Yup, definitely going the spare tire route. Well, that's that. 3 stock wheels, with tires and functioning sensors up for grabs. Not sure if I can post this but shoot me an email if interested. epayne90@gmail.com