: Bent Axle (??!)

Banshee8732
04-22-13, 01:32 AM
Here we go! My brakes have squealed during light braking almost since I got the truck (about a month ago). The dealer resurfaced the rotors to no avail. My buddy has a shop and we got around to checking it out today. We took it for a ride, hardcore squeal coming from the rear passenger side.

We tear into it and the bottom brake pad shim is pretty much shot. So we end up going to the next town over to buy a new set of pads in order to get the new shims. Throw the new shims on and take it for a ride. The squeal is gone! My buddy is driving and I'm riding shotgun. I happened to look in the mirror and I'm like man check this out, that tire is wobbling like a paint can in a shaker!

We thought it was possible we didn't have the wheel centered, never know. We took it off and put it back on 3 times. We ended up putting the truck on the hoist, taking the wheel off, and putting it in drive. As the rotor turns, you can see it pushing against the caliper when the bent spot comes around. Pulled the rotor off so it's down to just the metal plate with the wheel studs and tried it again. Now of course there's no caliper on to use as a reference, but you can still see the wobble. It's like it starts at the axle and transfers out to the rotor, then to the wheel/tire.

If I had to guess I'd say that's what broke the brake pad shim in the first place and caused the squeal. That's been about a month! Probably good we didn't catch it any later. I'd never noticed it and you can't feel it while driving. There's no damage to the wheel or tire. What could cause this? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-22-13, 10:13 PM
Here we go! My brakes have squealed during light braking almost since I got the truck (about a month ago). The dealer resurfaced the rotors to no avail. My buddy has a shop and we got around to checking it out today. We took it for a ride, hardcore squeal coming from the rear passenger side.

We tear into it and the bottom brake pad shim is pretty much shot. So we end up going to the next town over to buy a new set of pads in order to get the new shims. Throw the new shims on and take it for a ride. The squeal is gone! My buddy is driving and I'm riding shotgun. I happened to look in the mirror and I'm like man check this out, that tire is wobbling like a paint can in a shaker!

We thought it was possible we didn't have the wheel centered, never know. We took it off and put it back on 3 times. We ended up putting the truck on the hoist, taking the wheel off, and putting it in drive. As the rotor turns, you can see it pushing against the caliper when the bent spot comes around. Pulled the rotor off so it's down to just the metal plate with the wheel studs and tried it again. Now of course there's no caliper on to use as a reference, but you can still see the wobble. It's like it starts at the axle and transfers out to the rotor, then to the wheel/tire.

If I had to guess I'd say that's what broke the brake pad shim in the first place and caused the squeal. That's been about a month! Probably good we didn't catch it any later. I'd never noticed it and you can't feel it while driving. There's no damage to the wheel or tire. What could cause this? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow.

Hello Banshee8732,

I am sorry you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. We rely on our dealerships for technical support. Therefore I recommend you discussing this issue with a dealership; setting up a diagnosis appointment and having them take a look at your issues. I see you stated you will be calling the dealership. Please let me know if you have other questions or concerns. Thank you. Have a great night.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

Tec80
04-23-13, 12:22 AM
One of the few things that can cause axle flanges to bend is sliding sideways into a curb.

Banshee8732
04-23-13, 10:54 PM
That's real talk. Some drunk sideswiped a different vehicle I had a few years ago. She pushed it into the curb and bent the axle something fierce. I don't know what happened with the Escalade. I've never hit or slid into anything.

Thanks Laura. It's at the dealer now and I should know more tomorrow.

joeyrocks
04-24-13, 03:44 PM
Have them check the rear diff while they are replace the axle shaft which I guarantee is the problem. A bent shaft will generate long term and very costly problems in the rear diff.

Banshee8732
04-25-13, 09:55 PM
Still no real word on what's up with the axle. Argh. They said they're going to check the rear dif. Service advisor said it's possible the problem is where the axle connects in the dif. Something along those lines that's about all I could make from the conversation. But...no real answer yet. I'm going nuts without it!

2kflhr
04-25-13, 11:21 PM
Service advisor said it's possible the problem is where the axle connects in the dif. I can't see how the inner part of the axle would effect the outer without eating the wheel bearings up.

kazza93203
04-26-13, 01:43 AM
I can't see how the inner part of the axle would effect the outer without eating the wheel bearings up.

I'm thinking the actual wheel bearing is shot or about to split apart.

Banshee8732
04-29-13, 11:21 PM
Dealer says there's nothing wrong with it. Wheel shakes like a stripper but there's nothing wrong with it? Sounds sketchy to me, but I'm not a mechanic!