: 2002 Deville Transaxle

Brutixx
04-21-13, 10:14 PM
This is my 1st posting on the forums and I hope I can get some info on this issue
I have a 2002 Deville that has 2 codes 1 is TCC performance stuck and I cant remember the other
The transmission is not empty and yet it has no power in any of the forward gears or reverse
I dont know what this issue is but if the trans needs replaced can it be done at home or do I need a lift to do it?
I have only found info showing it needs to be dropped out the bottom and I am not equipped for that
Any info would be appreciated

vincentm
04-21-13, 11:08 PM
Post the codes and their definitions please. And we'll go from there :-)

Brutixx
04-21-13, 11:33 PM
P741 and P1860
I read the forum post on these codes and my issue is the car wont move in any gear unless it is up on jackstands

vincentm
04-22-13, 12:10 AM
P741 and P1860
I read the forum post on these codes and my issue is the car wont move in any gear unless it is up on jackstands

PO741? TCC solenoid?

maeng9981
04-22-13, 02:03 AM
Is your trans fluid level okay? With engine running/trans throughly warmed up and in P on a level ground, it should be on the center of the HOT area.

Brutixx
04-22-13, 08:43 AM
Yes it was P0741 sorry its been a long few days and yes the trans fluid level is fine its almost like it doesnt or wont move

Submariner409
04-22-13, 09:25 AM
Those two codes together, TCC stuck OFF and TCC solenoid circuit or failure, point to the solenoid itself. The solenoid is buried deep in the transmission and its replacement requires at least partial transmission removal and some tricky work with long tools and a couple of hand-made clip pullers. The car must be able to be lifted and lowered to get to all the suspension parts and drivetrain cradle which need to be loosened/removed/

Google "cadillac forums 4t80e transmission tcc solenoid replacement" or something close to that. Also, search the pages of Cadillac Tech Tips - there were a couple of threads, with pictures, n there a year or so back.

The transmission is a dry sump unit and there should be NO FLUID on the stick with the engine OFF. Check fluid level with the engine idling in P, hot, level surface.

TCC has nothing to do with the transmission not moving the car - that's something else......... either the drive chain or the torque converter - maybe the flexplate (yours would not be the first flexplate to separate at the bolt circle.)

Ranger
04-22-13, 09:35 AM
:yeah:

You can drive the car forever with either or both of those codes. Being unable to move the car points to a MUCH larger problem.

Manic Mechanic
04-22-13, 01:40 PM
After reading all your considerations my advice is to take it to a transmission shop to rebuild or replace. It is an internal issue and this is not a easy unit to R&R at home without a lift and lifting equipment. It's a big heavy unit and the engine must be supported from the top with special tools when it is separated.

Vernon

98eldo32v
04-23-13, 05:25 AM
What color is the transmission fluid? Bright red, medium red, or dark-blackish red. Does the fluid smell burnt?

Clear the codes and see if you regain forward gears. You might be in "limp mode"

stoveguyy
04-23-13, 09:50 AM
He seems to be in no mode. Maybe his shifter cable is broken at trans? Pretty low odds

JoeTahoe
04-23-13, 02:26 PM
My 99 sts did just that after engine rebuild. Took it for a 75mile trip and shut it off. When I came back out it would not move but shifter did. I about loaded my pants. I looked under the hood and low and behold the cable end came out of the ball socket. Put it back on and away we went. I would move the shifter and have someone watch for movement on the transmission lever for movement

CadillacLuke24
04-23-13, 06:50 PM
My 99 sts did just that after engine rebuild. Took it for a 75mile trip and shut it off. When I came back out it would not move but shifter did. I about loaded my pants. I looked under the hood and low and behold the cable end came out of the ball socket. Put it back on and away we went. I would move the shifter and have someone watch for movement on the transmission lever for movement

:histeric:

Glad you got it figured out!!