: New to the ATS. manual vs auto

donavo
04-21-13, 08:08 PM
hi guys. i just picked up an ATS 2.0T with 6 speed manual. its good so far but im not experienced in manual transmissions. i actually pretty much learned it on the test drive. now im just carefully practicing. ive done heavy research on the matter and know the technical stuff on most things but i still need practice. i would have taken the auto but it wasnt available with the options i wanted at the price i wanted. anway, aside from that, i would like to get opinions from you guys on which is the better choice? the reason i ask this is because i read in several places that the manual tranny for ATS is really bad. so even stick drivers choose manual tranny in some cases.

can anyone verify any of that? thank you.

kmb32687
04-21-13, 08:43 PM
Manual on ATS is not that bad. It's actually better than my old 335i. The shifter was so sloppy. ATS is more stiff and I like that.

You just need to practice more. It takes awhile to get use to it. I love manual and I will never look back to automatic.

donavo
04-21-13, 09:37 PM
Manual on ATS is not that bad. It's actually better than my old 335i. The shifter was so sloppy. ATS is more stiff and I like that.

You just need to practice more. It takes awhile to get use to it. I love manual and I will never look back to automatic.

really? dam. maybe i made a decent choice then. the only issue for me is i live in LA and traffic is hardcore obviously. so im actually looking forward to how this treats me in traffic. im sure i will hate it....but i just want to know how much i will hate it. lol.

Stevo Supremo
04-21-13, 10:29 PM
yeah the manual is pretty good, I got mine with the stick and am really happy with it. the cars just laughably easy to stall though, and the hill assist can freak ya out if you're not used to it

torkibe
04-21-13, 10:56 PM
If I were you I'd be more concerned with the clutch, especially in heavy traffic. You'll wind up burning it out and that will not be covered under warranty. Here's a good article.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/busting-the-myths-of-driving-a-manual-transmission.html

marktanner
04-22-13, 12:08 AM
The clutch is pretty light and easy to modulate, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. The hill-holder should be a big boon for you on hills, so no need to slip the clutch on the hills. My only issues have been an occasional reluctance to slot all the way into third, and it's a bit too easy to hit reverse instead of first if I'm in a hurry. Otherwise, it's very precise, and I can easily skip gears if I choose to. The shifter definitely gets better with use; mine now has 1500 miles. My car has occasionally stalled when depressing the clutch while coming to a stop, but never while taking off. It's easy to miss, as the engine idles so smoothly and quietly.

It's interesting that the car that met your needs best was a manual, as there just haven't been that many around. What equipment/series does it have?

donavo
04-22-13, 12:14 AM
If I were you I'd be more concerned with the clutch, especially in heavy traffic. You'll wind up burning it out and that will not be covered under warranty. Here's a good article.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/busting-the-myths-of-driving-a-manual-transmission.html

that was actually one of my concerns. VERY valid point. definitely something to watch out for. im kind of worried about that no joke. ive been taking alot of tips from pros. but thats never enough.

The clutch is pretty light and easy to modulate, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. The hill-holder should be a big boon for you on hills, so no need to slip the clutch on the hills. My only issues have been an occasional reluctance to slot all the way into third, and it's a bit too easy to hit reverse instead of first if I'm in a hurry. Otherwise, it's very precise, and I can easily skip gears if I choose to. The shifter definitely gets better with use; mine now has 1500 miles. My car has occasionally stalled when depressing the clutch while coming to a stop, but never while taking off. It's easy to miss, as the engine idles so smoothly and quietly.

It's interesting that the car that met your needs best was a manual, as there just haven't been that many around. What equipment/series does it have?

well its a luxury package with navigation and heated seats. i dont care for the heated seats much. but my main concern was to not get a base. this was the only one they had at this price point with these options. i went to every single dealer within a 100 mile radius and almost made a deal with a few of them but didnt go through with it since they wouldnt meet my price. then one dealer finally met my price after long long hours of haggling. my first choice would have been white with red interior. unfortunately none existed without a 46k+ price tag. so i settled for black raven with red interior. only one on the lot. and it was stick.

SLA
04-22-13, 12:28 AM
The ATS shifter isn't too bad at all. Some car reviewers claim that its notchy. I find it easier to drive that way. It lets me know that the shifter is securely in gear and its ok to release the clutch. I feel the shifter is very precise. I don't think I've missed a gear in the ATS since my initial test drive.

Eventually you'll learn why truckers keep large distances between them and the vehicle in front of them while stuck in highway traffic. Just pick a lane, stick with it, and use your accelerator sparingly.

73JPS
04-22-13, 11:02 AM
The ATS shifter isn't too bad at all. Some car reviewers claim that its notchy. I find it easier to drive that way. It lets me know that the shifter is securely in gear and its ok to release the clutch. I feel the shifter is very precise. I don't think I've missed a gear in the ATS since my initial test drive.

Eventually you'll learn why truckers keep large distances between them and the vehicle in front of them while stuck in highway traffic. Just pick a lane, stick with it, and use your accelerator sparingly.

Well said. I ordered mine with a manual (unless manual transmissions stop being produced, I will never buy an automatic) even though I had only test driven an automatic; afterwards, I read a few uncomplimentary articles regarding the ATS shifter. So, when my dealership received a manual, I arranged a test drive: I frankly can't understand what all the complaining is about. The shifter is precise and slightly notchy, just like SLA says. Perspective is everything: I have lived with some truly poor shifters ('73 Lotus Europa, '89 Chev Sprint Turbo, '93 Eagle Talon, '00 Lotus Esprit), and I sometimes think these reviewers haven't lived with enough manual transmissions to make a really informed analysis.

Hoosier Daddy
04-22-13, 11:11 AM
I read a few uncomplimentary articles regarding the ATS shifter. So, when my dealership received a manual, I arranged a test drive: I frankly can't understand what all the complaining is about.
My understanding is that many (most, all?) of those reviews were of pre-production cars and those manual transmissions did have problems. They were corrected for production cars.

SLA
04-22-13, 12:45 PM
My understanding is that many (most, all?) of those reviews were of pre-production cars and those manual transmissions did have problems. They were corrected for production cars.

I believe the magazine testers actually were production cars, which is why it took so long for the 2.0t MTs to find their way to the dealer lots. Caddy responded to the criticism by installing firmer bushings, which meant they had to go back and install them on the cars already built.

That's a great response if you ask me.

donavo
04-22-13, 03:28 PM
on another note, i got my ATS with luxury package and navigation/heated seats. i put 2k down and my payments are 477/month for 3 years. can anyone let me know if i got completely ripped off or if thats an allright deal? the cars msrp was 41k.

73JPS
04-22-13, 09:24 PM
I believe the magazine testers actually were production cars, which is why it took so long for the 2.0t MTs to find their way to the dealer lots. Caddy responded to the criticism by installing firmer bushings, which meant they had to go back and install them on the cars already built.

That's a great response if you ask me.

Agreed. Any way you slice it, the car I drove (probably a late February early March production) had what I consider to be a pretty nice crisp and precise action: I liked it, it reminded me a bit of my '83 RX-7 which had a really fun shifter.

on another note, i got my ATS with luxury package and navigation/heated seats. i put 2k down and my payments are 477/month for 3 years. can anyone let me know if i got completely ripped off or if thats an allright deal? the cars msrp was 41k.

Congrats on the car, Donavo.

Donavo, I made this point on another thread, and it was... "unappreciated" to put it bluntly. I will simply say to you that if you are happy with the deal, then don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. If you find out that others have got a 'better' (which in this day and age usually means 'cheaper') deal, then shrug your shoulders and accept that we can't all pay the same price for things such as this. Your deal looks great to me, but I am sure someone will tell you its not. To which I will add, just because someone else pays less for an item, it does not mean you have been "ripped off".

So, just enjoy the car! :thumbsup:

Siren05
04-22-13, 10:41 PM
Not one actual manual vs auto response?

----------

He we go. I drove both. I have always has manual cars. Very fast high horsepower care
Is300 turbo GTE block with 6 speed supra 6 trans.
2011 Subaru STI built engine 6 speed manual.
I log a lot of track time.
I opted for automatic for 2 main reasons.

Firstly sitting in rush hour with a manual not fun.

Secondly I have always hated shifting in high speed high G turns. Always envious of my buddies with dual
Clutch or autos when exiting corners...

I found the ATS manual just fine. I love the rev matching on downshifts in sport mode on my auto much
Better it also holds a gear forever in sports mode.

Just my 2 cents

donavo
04-23-13, 12:00 AM
Agreed. Any way you slice it, the car I drove (probably a late February early March production) had what I consider to be a pretty nice crisp and precise action: I liked it, it reminded me a bit of my '83 RX-7 which had a really fun shifter.

Congrats on the car, Donavo.

Donavo, I made this point on another thread, and it was... "unappreciated" to put it bluntly. I will simply say to you that if you are happy with the deal, then don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. If you find out that others have got a 'better' (which in this day and age usually means 'cheaper') deal, then shrug your shoulders and accept that we can't all pay the same price for things such as this. Your deal looks great to me, but I am sure someone will tell you its not. To which I will add, just because someone else pays less for an item, it does not mean you have been "ripped off".

So, just enjoy the car! :thumbsup:

ty i will definitely enjoy it. and u do make a valid point. so far though, im getting used to the MT. its a little difficult at times but im getting there. i still am not anywhere near enough to downshift or do ANYTHING more than just drive it as close to normal as possible. but i do admit its kind of fun. i just hope im not ruining anything....

IBMike
04-23-13, 02:28 AM
well its a luxury package with navigation and heated seats. i dont care for the heated seats much. but my main concern was to not get a base. this was the only one they had at this price point with these options. i went to every single dealer within a 100 mile radius and almost made a deal with a few of them but didnt go through with it since they wouldnt meet my price. then one dealer finally met my price after long long hours of haggling. my first choice would have been white with red interior. unfortunately none existed without a 46k+ price tag. so i settled for black raven with red interior. only one on the lot. and it was stick.

I don't get it... you spent $40k on a car that pretty much didn't meet any of your desires, except that it wasn't a base. You spent $600 on heated seats you don't like, you are having to learn to drive a stick car in LA traffic, and it wasn't your first color choice?

What was the rush? Did you HAVE to buy when you did? Seems to me if you're going to spend this much money on a vehicle, you'd hold out for just what you want. Not trying to pick a fight, I've just seen too many people settle for a car they didn't really want and then regret it. When you say things like, "sure i will hate it....but i just want to know how much i will hate it" I just gotta shake my head. Just doesn't make sense (to me) to settle that does not meet your specifications and paying for options you don't want. Given how low lease payments are and the availability of vehicles in the LA area, even if you had to pay an extra few bucks a month to get what you want, it would make you happier to hold out for the right car. To each his own...

I see you are just leasing, so hopefully you learn to enjoy driving the car. If not, it is going to be a LONG 3 years! At least you can walk away from it after 3 years if it isn't what you want. Practice a lot and then get out of the city and find some wide open roads to put the manual through its paces and you'll have a blast! :)

Bertha D Blues
04-23-13, 10:00 AM
Not one actual manual vs auto response?[COLOR="Silver"]

I love the rev matching on downshifts in sport mode on my auto much
Better it also holds a gear forever in sports mode.

Just my 2 cents
Siren05, how can you tell that sport mode holds a gear longer than touring? Did the car have to ďlearnĒ that from your driving habits? The reason I ask is because Iíve told my dealerís service advisor that sport mode doesnít work on my car. He said the computer shows that it goes on so it must be working. Thatís total BS because as hard as I try I canít detect any difference. No gear holding, no PAL, no difference in steering feel or throttle response, nothing. My advisor said that I needed to drive the car hard so it can ďlearnĒ, whatever the hell that means. I tried that with no change. Iím going to start copying all of the wonderful things that other ATS owners have described in these forums about their experiences with sport mode. Then Iíll take those comments and a Benjamin Franklin to my dealer with an offer. Anyone who can show me any difference between sport and touring in MY car gets the hundred. Ξ:^(
Bert

Dave3283
04-23-13, 10:16 AM
I've noticed a difference with sport mode. I employ it with all spirited driving. Steering is firmer, PAL kicks in and hold for awhile. Gears are held longer; most noticeable gear affect is it will down shift sooner. Rev matching occurs in tour and sport...the snarl sounds great.

donavo
04-23-13, 11:36 AM
I don't get it... you spent $40k on a car that pretty much didn't meet any of your desires, except that it wasn't a base. You spent $600 on heated seats you don't like, you are having to learn to drive a stick car in LA traffic, and it wasn't your first color choice?

What was the rush? Did you HAVE to buy when you did? Seems to me if you're going to spend this much money on a vehicle, you'd hold out for just what you want. Not trying to pick a fight, I've just seen too many people settle for a car they didn't really want and then regret it. When you say things like, "sure i will hate it....but i just want to know how much i will hate it" I just gotta shake my head. Just doesn't make sense (to me) to settle that does not meet your specifications and paying for options you don't want. Given how low lease payments are and the availability of vehicles in the LA area, even if you had to pay an extra few bucks a month to get what you want, it would make you happier to hold out for the right car. To each his own...

I see you are just leasing, so hopefully you learn to enjoy driving the car. If not, it is going to be a LONG 3 years! At least you can walk away from it after 3 years if it isn't what you want. Practice a lot and then get out of the city and find some wide open roads to put the manual through its paces and you'll have a blast! :)

first of all, i didnt spend 40k. its a lease. yes it wasnt my first choice but dam am i glad i got it. its an AMAZING color combo. i said that i will hate the MT in traffic because ive never met anyone who said "i love driving stick in LA traffic". so yes, i will hate it no matter what. but im very happy tht i went with the stick cuz that, for me, made the car way more worth it. its like a new experience. so instead of jumping from my last car (2012 acura TSX SE auto), into another car that just looks different and obviosly performs different, its a bigger jump. now its a whole new experience with the manual. so im glad. the reason my payment came out a little on the higher side is cuz my lease on my acura wasnt over and i really wanted the ATS. so i traded it in 1 with less than a year into the lease and some negative equity. i realize to most people thats stupid and i agree. but im still in my early 20s and once i have a family i wont get to enjoy cars most likely. so i want to get that out of my system now.

so all in all, im very satisfied so far. heated seats are nice but it wasnt super necessary. i dont hate them.

Stevo Supremo
04-23-13, 12:00 PM
I think Raven black on morelo red is damn sexy :yup:

manuals arent bad in traffic, my first car was a manual and I'll drive them for as long as I can, it adds a dimension to driving that flappy paddles just cant. In traffic I just hang behind tractor trailers, they usually keep creeping, I love my manual transmissions and always will

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad229/stevoelsupremo/582148_229787440468903_1882470152_a_zpse80362ca.jp g (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stevoelsupremo/media/582148_229787440468903_1882470152_a_zpse80362ca.jp g.html)

Pete7874
04-23-13, 04:32 PM
Considering if I were to buy one, it would be the 3.6 engine version, Cadillac has made the choice easy for me: automatic is the only choice. Alas, I'd like it more if they'd offer the 3.6 with a manual trans, but I'm sure I'd be like one of only 3 people that would ever buy it.

Siren05
04-23-13, 07:19 PM
Siren05, how can you tell that sport mode holds a gear longer than touring? Did the car have to ďlearnĒ that from your driving habits? The reason I ask is because Iíve told my dealerís service advisor that sport mode doesnít work on my car. He said the computer shows that it goes on so it must be working. Thatís total BS because as hard as I try I canít detect any difference. No gear holding, no PAL, no difference in steering feel or throttle response, nothing. My advisor said that I needed to drive the car hard so it can ďlearnĒ, whatever the hell that means. I tried that with no change. Iím going to start copying all of the wonderful things that other ATS owners have described in these forums about their experiences with sport mode. Then Iíll take those comments and a Benjamin Franklin to my dealer with an offer. Anyone who can show me any difference between sport and touring in MY car gets the hundred. Ξ:^(
Bert

It actually freaked me out first time it happened.. I was coming out A corner getting on the freeway quite fast and bam I thought my tranny was broken the computer locked 4 gear right up to redline. Pal kicked in the other day on very hard breaking into high speed corner on very hard breaking, it down shifted and rev matched perfectly. Blip blip blip from 5 too 2nd.

Rin
04-25-13, 11:09 PM
I have a manual, and I find it very notchy. It's fairly difficult to shift when it's cold. See my post here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-general-discussion-forum/283381-2-0-manual-transmission-kinda-clunky.html. I love the car though. Great car.

sd vidiot
04-26-13, 03:58 PM
Don't "ride" the clutch by trying to modulate your speed by pushing in the clutch and you'll be fine. I've driven manual transmission cars in SoCal for 30 years and am never bothered by traffic -- it becomes second nature and I don't even notice. I have had a bunch of 3 year leased cars in a row and have never worn out a clutch in the 15k miles I put on per year. It kinda cramps your style if you plan on drinking coffee, talking on the phone, and shaving on your morning commute, though!

Hoosier Daddy
04-26-13, 06:21 PM
I have a manual, and I find it very notchy. It's fairly difficult to shift when it's cold. See my post here http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-general-discussion-forum/283381-2-0-manual-transmission-kinda-clunky.html. I love the car though. Great car.
It's impossible to say from forum posts if yours has a problem, but all properly performing manual transmissions are more difficult to shift when cold. Its the nature of the beast. Whatever fluid is used will be thicker when cold. To make sure its not too thin under extreme conditions, it will be too thick for best operation when cold. And manual transmissions take longer to warm up than engines. The only heat source is the friction/load of the gears. About the only way to know for sure if yours has a problem is to drive identical transmissions at the same temperature. You can't always rely on your dealer to check it for you because it may be in their best interest to downplay a problem (e.g. a common problem with no known cure, insufficient manufacturer reimbursement for diagnose and repair, etc.).

donavo
04-27-13, 03:43 PM
Don't "ride" the clutch by trying to modulate your speed by pushing in the clutch and you'll be fine. I've driven manual transmission cars in SoCal for 30 years and am never bothered by traffic -- it becomes second nature and I don't even notice. I have had a bunch of 3 year leased cars in a row and have never worn out a clutch in the 15k miles I put on per year. It kinda cramps your style if you plan on drinking coffee, talking on the phone, and shaving on your morning commute, though!

u bring up a good point and that makes me ask a question. to all you manual drivers out there. when im going from a dead stop i kind of ride the clutch for a second or 2 in order to maintain a smooth transition from stopping to moving. is there a better way i can do this? same with reversing.

73JPS
04-27-13, 09:45 PM
u bring up a good point and that makes me ask a question. to all you manual drivers out there. when im going from a dead stop i kind of ride the clutch for a second or 2 in order to maintain a smooth transition from stopping to moving. is there a better way i can do this? same with reversing.

Yes, there is a better way: never ride the clutch. Ever. Never "rest" your foot on the pedal, don't hover over the pedal, and just keep your foot away from the damned thing unless you are 1) starting, 2) shifting, or 3) almost at a stop.

Now, having said that, you are just getting started with manual shift, so don't sweat the "when im going from a dead stop i kind of ride the clutch for a second or 2 in order to maintain a smooth transition from stopping to moving." It will take a while to get the hang of things: I have been driving a manual transmission for 30 years, and I still screw up from time to time: not every start will be perfect, nor every stop, nor every shift. In fact, it's based a bit on how much one concentrates, so I am sure I am even worse than I think! Generally, though: stay off the clutch pedal, keep your hand off the shifter, and stay smooth :)

Here is a somewhat instructive video from one of the masters: the point is 1) keep your hand off the shifter and 2) ... ummm, well, there's a cool pic of heel and toe around :43... Other than that, just stay smooth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LnMJflV5sA

Just remember that this guy was RACING, and looks smoother than most of us on an around town commute. Just sayin'.

Stevo Supremo
04-27-13, 11:50 PM
lol yeah I still chrip the back wheels leaving from a stop in this car, I'm just so paranoid to ride the clutch that I just dump it:suspense:..

Is riding it for a second or two alright when starting from a stop to make it smooth?

Hoosier Daddy
04-28-13, 12:18 AM
Is riding it for a second or two alright when starting from a stop to make it smooth?
I think two seconds is way too long, but I also wouldn't be surprised if someone thought they were doing it for 2 seconds when it was really a second or less. Two seconds is a long time.

ral1960
04-28-13, 02:37 AM
once i have a family i wont get to enjoy cars most likely.
Your sex life will end, too, and your teeth and hair fall out.

You're probably the first Cadillac buyer since the 1940's post-war car shortage that's been "stuck" with a manual. The others have to fight to get one.

I bought a 2011 STS out of state and realized on a rough patch of WV interstate that it was a mistake--I was going to hate the car if I kept driving it on our wavy local roads (I'm over 50--ride comfort is increasingly important, especially in allergy season). Lost almost $3k trading it after 6 weeks, but glad I did. Having said that, it was dumb to give up the Acura early, unless you hated it. Impatient young whippersnapper.

SLA
04-28-13, 07:39 PM
2 to 3 seconds to get your foot fully off the clutch from a standstill is fine. I think people underestimate how long it actually takes to do it smoothly.

The question is, how many revs are you using to start? On flat ground, you can crawl away at just the idle speed. I usually use about 1000rpm to get going from a standstill. The more revs you use, the quicker you'll wear out your clutch.

I would recommend going to a flat parking lot and practice standstill starts without using the accelerator.

Stevo Supremo
04-28-13, 10:02 PM
in my cobalt I used to rev to like 800/1000ish, but I find this car I'm going to 1500

donavo
04-28-13, 11:17 PM
thanks for all the tips and feedback guys. one thing that kind of surprised me was dont keep ur hand on the shifter.....that shifter is the BEST and most comfortable place to put my hand....and unfortunately there must be a reason that i cant put my hand there anymore.. thats unfortunate. im gonna keep practicing this though. until im an excellent driver. and yes giving up the acura was dumb and i really liked it too. but whoever called me an impatient young whipper snapper hit the nail on the head. thats pretty much exactly what i am with this whole lease.

Hoosier Daddy
04-28-13, 11:29 PM
thanks for all the tips and feedback guys. one thing that kind of surprised me was dont keep ur hand on the shifter.....that shifter is the BEST and most comfortable place to put my hand....and unfortunately there must be a reason that i cant put my hand there anymore.. thats unfortunate. im gonna keep practicing this though. until im an excellent driver. and yes giving up the acura was dumb and i really liked it too. but whoever called me an impatient young whipper snapper hit the nail on the head. thats pretty much exactly what i am with this whole lease.
There's left brain dumb and right brain dumb. I'm betting you will come to love the ATS for its 50-50 weight distribution, RWD and, yes, the manual transmission. It may have cost one side of your brain (and wallet) but the other will thank you.

SLA
04-29-13, 01:07 AM
one thing that kind of surprised me was dont keep ur hand on the shifter.....that shifter is the BEST and most comfortable place to put my hand....and unfortunately there must be a reason that i cant put my hand there anymore .

By resting your hand on the shifter you can wear out the synchros.

Many people don't use this simple little trick developed long ago, but if you keep both hands on the steering wheel, you won't have to worry about hurting your trans. ;)

bdwalters
05-05-13, 02:43 PM
I've also had people tell me that I shouldn't keep my hand on the shifter because it will wear out the synchros. All I know is that my 15-year-old Miata, which I drive with my hand on the sweet shifter nearly continuously, has perfectly fine synchros after all of these years. (The paint is another story...) My 8-year-old TSX also still has perfectly healthy synchros. Previously, I sold a 10-year-old Honda CRX and a 12-year-old Honda Accord that never needed powertrain work while I owned them. I can accept that, in theory, keeping your hand on the shifter all of the time might cause some additional wear, but it seems to me that it's hard to see any damage show up in practice. If, like me, you really enjoy driving with your hand on the shifter, I wouldn't let the fear of synchro wear stop you. Life's too short to worry about little things like this. What you should worry about is blowing money on things you don't need, namely an ATS when you have a prefectly good car still under lease. It's often hard to fight off the urge to buy a new toy, I know, but you can afford a lot more toys in the long term if you are wise with your money.

marktanner
05-05-13, 05:35 PM
One should always keep both hands on the wheel whenever possible, such as when NOT shifting. The steering control is much better with two hands. It has to do with leverage; one has much more leverage when pulling down on the wheel than when pushing up on it, as one would do with a right turn with the right hand on the shifter. As an instructor for high performance driving schools for both the BMW Club and Porsche Club, we were taught to instruct our students to keep both hands on the wheel, and even to slap the lazy hand on the shifter, to break them of this bad habit. One can move their hand to the shifter in minimal time, so it won't slow shifting any, and one's car control will be maintained until the actual moment of the shift. This is taught at all high performance and racing schools. The effect of the hand on the shifter for the transmission is debatable, but the effect on car control is not.

Hoosier Daddy
05-05-13, 10:00 PM
thanks for all the tips and feedback guys. one thing that kind of surprised me was dont keep ur hand on the shifter.....that shifter is the BEST and most comfortable place to put my hand....and unfortunately there must be a reason that i cant put my hand there anymore.. thats unfortunate.

I've also had people tell me that I shouldn't keep my hand on the shifter because it will wear out the synchros. All I know is that my 15-year-old Miata, which I drive with my hand on the sweet shifter nearly continuously, has perfectly fine synchros after all of these years. (The paint is another story...) My 8-year-old TSX also still has perfectly healthy synchros. Previously, I sold a 10-year-old Honda CRX and a 12-year-old Honda Accord that never needed powertrain work while I owned them.
The syncros aren't affected by a hand on the shifter UNLESS the hand moves the shifter enough to start to move the gearset against the synchros. For most manual transmissions that would take a movement of the shifter the driver could notice unless distracted by bumps, cornering, braking or accelerating. So someone COULD keep their hand on the shifter all the time and not make the syncros wear out before something else does. I don't think its worth the risk even if it might be slight with a particular transmission and driving conditions.

And as pointed out, if safety matters, you won't have a free hand to rest on the shifter anyway.

donavo
05-05-13, 10:20 PM
great advice from everyone, but unfortunately, im not the guy that has both hands on the steering wheel. i drive with one hand just fine. ive never had any problem with maneuverability since im not retarded, nor am i driving ferociously on a track. if i was on a track, i can see justification in using both hands to steer, but cruising around town, im more than capable of handling the steering with one hand. regardless of transmission type lol. im not saying that cuz i intend to keep my hand on the shift knob.