: New to Me 65 coupe deville no papers

tom strand
04-21-13, 05:21 PM
I just bought a 65 coupe with no papers where do I find the vin so I ac do a search for the papers. any help would be great.

04-21-13, 11:04 PM
I have a 66 coupe and the VIN is on a plate inside the driver's sidedoor post.

tom strand
04-30-13, 02:43 AM
sorry forgot to say car was painted tag was removed maybe it is in the trunk I will have a look have not looked at every thing in there yet Is the vin on the frame or some other place. thanks for your reply

05-03-13, 03:06 PM
Not 100 percent positive, but I think the vin is stamped under the door sill plate on my 68 DeVille convertible. This is in addition to the regular vin plate on the dash. At work so I can't look right now.

tom strand
05-06-13, 03:07 AM
I have done some Google searches and not been able to find anything. but well I was looking I went on to the OPG web site they told me to look on the fire wall for a tag. Thank you for your replies. I will keep looking!

05-19-13, 12:11 PM
The VIN was on the regular cowl tag on my '70 deVille. It was also on a tiny mild steel tag in the customary place at lower left corner of the windshield, but this windshield tag literally rusted away to nothing.

Also remember you're not looking for a late style 17 digit VIN. My '70 Cad had an 8-digit VIN, and my '73 Eldo has 13. Look at the top of the cowl tag.

Jeff R
05-23-13, 09:02 PM
Where else did you find the VIN? I have a 70 also and not able to read the vin. I understand it is also on the frame/somewhere else but I have not had luck finding it. There is a 'hidden' vin somewhere that I am trying to find.

05-25-13, 03:17 PM
I reported slightly wrong above. The VIN IS on the cowl tag of my '73 Eldorado, but it is not on the cowl tag of my '70 deVille.

As Buckstrong says above, in the early 60s, the VIN was a stamped, stainless steel tag riveted to the front of the inside of the driver's door jamb.

Around 1968 or so, it moved to the lower left corner of the windshield. By 1970, it was a mild steel tag, which on my car, had rusted away to nearly nonexistent. Also in 1968, GM began stamping a number derived from the VIN on the engine (on Chevrolets) to combat engine theft. Possibly any stamped-in numbers found on the engine could be used, on a '68 or newer car.

The laws vary widely, but some states still allow titling and licensing a car with a destroyed or illegible VIN. A state patrol officer will inspect your car, and it will be assigned a new VIN, and they will give you a new tag with that number on it, and will tell you where and how to attach it to your car, or do it for you, generally somewhere on the cowl area. As a last resort, check and see if your state allows for this.