: This is the Dodge Charger?

HotRodSaint
01-10-05, 03:58 PM
http://www.autonews.com/images/random/011005/det844568244rsunmon/dodgecharger430.jpg

The Dodge truck front end, looks best on this car, but it shouldn't be on any car. That's the only positive thing I have to say about this car.

What happened to Chryslers design prowess?

Ralph
01-10-05, 04:03 PM
Uugg. I think I would wait until the 2 door version arrives in a year or so, but I still wish they would have done a retro version, even downsized of a 1968 Charger complete with little round taillights!

I wonder if Dodge did any focus groups with potential customers to determine what people would like to see from this car? Design wise??

I reserve judgement at this time, however I think Mustang has a winner compared to this!

HotRodSaint
01-10-05, 04:06 PM
http://www.detnews.com/pix/2005/01/10/autoswhow/charger-cvt.jpg

evilrussian
01-10-05, 04:40 PM
That's one ugly mother-fuka. I think Dodge is trying to pull one of those love-it or hate-it designs, just like some '50s '60s of their examples.

airbalancer
01-10-05, 04:45 PM
maybe it looks better in person,

HotRodSaint
01-10-05, 05:19 PM
That's one ugly mother-fuka. I think Dodge is trying to pull one of those love-it or hate-it designs, just like some '50s '60s of their examples.

Ford Edsel came to my mind. :p

RBraczyk
01-10-05, 05:28 PM
Looks like a damn S60.

CoupeDevilleRob
01-10-05, 06:00 PM
Just about every Chrysler product in history has been love it or hate. I hate most of them.

Sandy
01-10-05, 06:33 PM
It's ugly. As an Ex Dodge salesman for like 22 years, I'd have a hard time warming up to this. Then again, I don't like most of the new cars. I think I can count on all 10 fingers all of the cars I like. This one sure ain't there!

RealmCenter
01-10-05, 06:46 PM
As a die hard Mopar fan, I must say that is the most disgraceful excuse for an automobile with the legendary Charger name on it possible. That makes the Shelby Charger of the early-mid '80s look like a showstopper compared to that sorry excuse of a car. That's a worse interpretation of a musclecar legend of the late '60s than the new GTO (and that's saying alot!! that car is a embarasement in it's own right). If anyone from CHRYco peruses these forums, heres my opinion :vomit: two thumbs WAY down. I'll just sit and imagine my dream '69 Charger and try to pretend this one doesn't exist.

brougham
01-10-05, 07:01 PM
I kinda like it but I don't think Charger is a good name for it. It doesn't look like a Charger.

HotRodSaint
01-10-05, 07:14 PM
I think the front end, grafted onto the Magnum would look great.

Msilva954
01-10-05, 07:22 PM
For some reason ....DeSoto comes to my mind of what they should have called it....

For someone that likes the 300 and magnum I think this is the worst of the three.....insurance agencies shouldnt insure it because its uglyness.

slk230mb
01-10-05, 07:31 PM
Eeeeekkkkkk. I'm with Ralph on the retro styling, where is it?

Ralph
01-10-05, 07:53 PM
maybe it looks better in person,

Or worse! :rolleyes:

davesdeville
01-10-05, 08:13 PM
Seems out of proportion. The cabin too big, the front end a bit too small, the trunk looks way too short. The truck grille.... meh it could be worse but it's not great. Better have something bad ass under the hood to make up for its ugliness.

airbalancer
01-10-05, 08:36 PM
Or worse! :rolleyes:
maybe a different colour , would work

c5 rv
01-10-05, 09:02 PM
maybe a different colour , would work

Is invisible a color?

Rolex
01-10-05, 09:12 PM
I could never come out day after day and look at a car that ugly in my driveway. :(

CoupeDevilleRob
01-10-05, 09:30 PM
Seems out of proportion. The cabin too big, the front end a bit too small, the trunk looks way too short. The truck grille.... meh it could be worse but it's not great. Better have something bad ass under the hood to make up for its ugliness.

I knew something looked weird about, you nailed it on the head. As for having something bad ass under the hood, it has the "Hemi" but I still can't wait to see how the reliability on them pans out. I'm seeing blown head gaskets and lots of burnt oil.

airbalancer
01-10-05, 09:57 PM
Is invisible a color?
:worship:

STS 310
01-10-05, 10:13 PM
Ford Edsel came to my mind. :p

My As$H$)# comes to mind.

HotRodSaint
01-10-05, 10:13 PM
Seems out of proportion.

The windshield. Tilt it back and cut a few inches off, and the rest of the car should work.

davesdeville
01-10-05, 10:27 PM
That could work, I still think the trunk needs some lengthening. The back window needs to be less tilted, and the back seat windows coming to a point in the back is just plain weird.

danbuc
01-10-05, 10:31 PM
That thing looks like they took an '05 Mustang GT, cut the front end off, and replaced it with the front end of a Dodge Ram. That has got to be one of the most ugly cars I've ever seen. :vomit:

Ralph
01-10-05, 10:33 PM
That could work, I still think the trunk needs some lengthening. The back window needs to be less tilted, and the back seat windows coming to a point in the back is just plain weird.

Because of the sawed-off trunk, it looks like a Mazda 3 on steroids. Not pretty for a larger car.

klebrun
01-11-05, 03:40 AM
Looks like they are bringing back my AMC Eagle design!

Katshot
01-11-05, 08:14 AM
I must admit, I don't like the new Charger either and had intended to post a picture of a "Classic" Charger to remind everyone how nice they were. Unfortunately, all it did was remind me that the Charger never was a very good looking car, even back in the day.
BTW, this is a '70 R/T

Sandy
01-11-05, 09:30 AM
AMC EAGLE .....

The BEST car I ever owned !! When I sold cars, some times dealers did not give "demos" ~ other times I was "in-between" jobs, yet I still needed a car. I had traded a 3 year old AMC Eagle, just like the one in that picture, except it was bright red. I kept it around for at least 6 years, so it was then 10 years old. It looked great, was in great condition at 10, and never once failed to start, ran great, and many creature comforts, was comforatble and never once got stuck in snow. The 4WD pulled me out of every mess I ever got into!!
Many of the Doctors drove them, so that they could get to the hospital in the winter. A couple of times I went to the local hospital for one reason or another, and there were always at least 30 of these in the parking lot, between December & March.
I truly wish that I had never sold my Eagle (AMC Concord with 4WD)! It was a 1986, Red with grey interior and road wheels and was LOADED.

Katshot
01-11-05, 12:22 PM
Sandy, you're scaring me!
The mere THOUGHT of 30 AMC Eagles in one place, other than a dealer scares me! ;)

HotRodSaint
01-11-05, 01:06 PM
Unfortunately, all it did was remind me that the Charger never was a very good looking car, even back in the day.
BTW, this is a '70 R/T

I prefer the '69 Charger myself. :thumbsup:

I think they ruined the front and rear on the '70.

And while it was a huge, ugly car. It was a good looking car amongst the other huge ugly car's of it's era. Especially against Chryslers other huge ugly car's.

I do think that Ford and Chevy designed better looking car's back then.

And it looks like they will again today as well. :yup:

If only the Ford Five Hundred were a V8 RWD powered sedan. :(

HotRodSaint
01-11-05, 01:10 PM
I truly wish that I had never sold my Eagle (AMC Concord with 4WD)! It was a 1986, Red with grey interior and road wheels and was LOADED.

One of my brothers neighbors owns two prestine AMC's, one a diesel-powered Eagle AWD and the other an AMX. He's an ex-AMC dealer.

I like the AMX better, but he has kept well care of both. The Eagle could win car shows.

And those are the only cars he owns, so he drives them daily.

But only the AMX gets to sleep in the one car garage. The Eagle gets covered-up at night.

Katshot
01-11-05, 02:03 PM
I prefer the '69 Charger myself. :thumbsup:

I think they ruined the front and rear on the '70.

And while it was a huge, ugly car. It was a good looking car amongst the other huge ugly car's of it's era. Especially against Chryslers other huge ugly car's.

I do think that Ford and Chevy designed better looking car's back then.

And it looks like they will again today as well. :yup:

If only the Ford Five Hundred were a V8 RWD powered sedan. :(

I really didn't like the '69 front end, myself. Liked the hide-away lights better. As for the Ford Five-Hundred, I'm really sorry to see that they are getting some bad press on that car. Have you driven one? I actually thought it was a nice car. Combines the command seating of an SUV with the comfort of a sedan. It's available with either FWD or AWD and either a CVT or 6-speed automatic. In it's top level trim, it's actually a nice looking, and nice driving car. All that, and it's got tons of room.

Sandy
01-11-05, 02:50 PM
Kat, you have to turn the mental clock baaack to 1980s. There were no "Sport Utes" then, other than the Cherokee. (1984-2001), and it was techiniclly a "wagon" {The title on our 2001 states "WAGON"} ~ Doctors loved them as they were small and maneuverable and had 4WD and could be equipped with alot of luxury features, such as dual power seats w/recliners, leather, pwr. locks & windows, Tilt & cruise, fancy stereos & wheels and sun roofs & more.

The guy who has that Diesel Eagle 4x4 is putting the wrong car in the garage!! AMXs are at EVERY car show!!! When did ya last see an Eagle like his??? I, for one, NEVER! That Eagle of mine was so good, I drove the he// outta it and in rain, hail, sleet, ice, never ever garaged, thing had 80,000 when I sold it and is STILL running !! Every once in a while I see it. It has some cancer now, but....hey, it's 19 years young! :p

Ralph
01-11-05, 02:56 PM
I like the "wrap-around" chrome front end of the 1970 Charger. If it were combined with the round taillights of the '68 it would be dreamy!

I also don't mind the "coke-bottle" styling of the 1971-74 either, as they shortened the wheelbase somewhat. Supposedly the front ends built up too much turbulance in the '68-70 grille at Nascar (?) and that's partly why it was redesigned. I seem to recall pics of a 1970 Charger 500 with a "flush fit" front end including headlights that was built for Nascar to be more areodynamically efficient.

Katshot
01-11-05, 02:57 PM
It's funny you should mention that car Sandy. I was over at Reedman's in Langhorn on Saturday and ther was an Eagle just like the one in the picture here. Looked a little rough but wasn't TOO bad. I must admit, I was surprised to see it on the road and my son actually joked about it because he knows I used to tell him they were cool. I admit I thought they were neat, especially for their time. I just cringe when I think about AMC's out of pure reflex! ;)

HotRodSaint
01-11-05, 03:06 PM
I like the "wrap-around" chrome front end of the 1970 Charger. If it were combined with the round taillights of the '68 it would be dreamy!

My bad, the '68 is the better looking car! :p

I am getting old! :disappoin

Ralph
01-11-05, 03:09 PM

There really wasn't much difference between the two, other than Dodge played around with the front and taillights.

I love the '68, like the one in "Bullitt," but the front end looked incomplete to me compared to the 1970. I never cared for the "split" grille on my '69, and even entertained the idea of removing it back in HS! Can you believe that!!?? :hide:

HotRodSaint
01-11-05, 03:26 PM
There really wasn't much difference between the two, other than Dodge played around with the front and taillights.

My step father had a gold '68 w/ a 283(?) and bench seat he bought new. (He never was a car guy!) The round tail lights were my favorite part of that design.

Ralph
01-11-05, 03:42 PM
273? 383?

I might be confusing 273 with the 173 cu. in. 2.8 L in the Pontiac. :helpless:

I can't remember now, but I thought the 283 was a GM engine???

Sandy
01-11-05, 05:18 PM
In 1969, I had a "Bullit Edition" 1969 Charger R/T ~ S.E. which was the 440 V-8 with leather & wood interior, Road Wheels and a vinyl top. It was in triple black. The leather was buttery smooth & soft. I only had it for a week & a customer bought it, so I ordered another one. Long story short, in 1969 I had 3 of them, and then switched to a Coronet 500 R/T (Road & Track) Coupe with the 440 4-Bbl & TqFlite Auto. then onto Hemi Challengers & Trans Am challengers and other goodies, incl. a 318 4-Bbl. V-8 Dart GTS.
Being involved with Dodge in the late 60 and 70s was fun. Then I screwed up and thought the grass was greener over there, and went to sell Oldsmobiles. My demo was a POS Olds version of the Chevy Nova. (I can't even recall the name & I sold them & drove one.) 4 months & I was back with Dodge :bouncy:

Ralph
01-11-05, 05:30 PM
Olds version of the Chevy Nova. (I can't even recall the name & I sold them & drove one.)

Omega?

Olds always made good cars IMO. My Dad's 442, and my Aunts 1975 and '85 Cutlasses they had, there were never any problems with them. My Dad had numerous Olds in the early 1960's up to 1979. ALL good cars.

I hate to say this on a Dodge thread, but I've owned three, one from the 1960's and two from the 1970's and the Oldsmobiles of the same era were much better quality that Dodge. Even the feel and look, functioning of the little switches for headlights, wipers, radio, etc. were much better with Oldsmobile. Everything became loose in those Dodges I had and I'm not rough on vehicles.

All three of my Chrysler products had leaky windows, clunky transmissions, etc. When I drove my Aunts '75 Cutlas coupe with swivel buckets and 350 Rocket, I immediately offered to buy it from her in 1987! It was very smooth, rattle free in comparison.

I think Chrysler was always a step behind GM in those days, but their styling for their musclecars was unique. Despite this, I'm partial to the E-body of 1970 (Challenger) and I bet you didn't know that was supposedly the only "new" car offered that year.

There is still something about Mopar Musclecars that I love. They are appealing tome because of the variety they offered, the unique colors, and they were easy to work on imo.

Faust
01-11-05, 06:30 PM
This is a disgrace to the Charger name. Why not a Magnum with a fastback, at least it would have the "stance". It looks like just another asian sedan with the cross-hairs grafted on the front. I think they just wanted the marketing pitch of "it's another Charger". Thank you I'll keep mine. When the lease on my business car runs out, it will be a Magnum.

Ralph
01-11-05, 06:46 PM
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7949

JBsZ06
01-11-05, 06:47 PM
I thought this was a nice photo article showing a new view of the new Charger.

http://www.autonews.com/news.cms?newsId=11132

HotRodSaint
01-11-05, 08:05 PM
I thought this was a nice photo article showing a new view of the new Charger.

I still don't know. :hmm:

I'm going to the LA Auto Show tommorrow. If it's there, I will take some pics.

http://www.autonews.com/images/random/011005/det844568244rsunmon/chargertoo430.jpg

klebrun
01-11-05, 09:48 PM
AMC EAGLE .....

The BEST car I ever owned !! When I sold cars, some times dealers did not give "demos" ~ other times I was "in-between" jobs, yet I still needed a car. I had traded a 3 year old AMC Eagle, just like the one in that picture, except it was bright red. I kept it around for at least 6 years, so it was then 10 years old. It looked great, was in great condition at 10, and never once failed to start, ran great, and many creature comforts, was comforatble and never once got stuck in snow. The 4WD pulled me out of every mess I ever got into!!
Many of the Doctors drove them, so that they could get to the hospital in the winter. A couple of times I went to the local hospital for one reason or another, and there were always at least 30 of these in the parking lot, between December & March.

Ya, the one I have is a blast to drive in the snow. I've had it in 13 inches of snow with no problems. That pic was of 11 inches of snow, and me and my son took it out on the sidestreets and parking lots before they plowed. My son's friends usually laugh at it when I drive it, but on that day it suddenly became cool and they all wanted to ride in it. My dad bought that new in the fall of 1980, and I got it after he died about 10 years ago. I've heard that there are still some running around up North and in Canada, with some even being used as police vehicles.

They are prone to rusting in the engine compartment. I do think they get a bad knock as being undependable. Since I am familiar with the car, I know it's weak points and do the extra preventative maintenance to avoid bigger problems. It still runs to this day.

You are right, you could get alot of luxury features on the Eagles and the Grand Wagoneers. That was 4WD styling back in the '80's.

Hey HRS, if you ever get the chance to get some pics of that Eagle and AMX, I'd like to see them. I rarely get to see an Eagle in pristine condition.

I would be interested in seeing some interior pics of that new Charger. Maybe the inside will make up for the outside.

klebrun
01-11-05, 09:50 PM
I still don't know. :hmm:

I'm going to the LA Auto Show tommorrow. If it's there, I will take some pics.

http://www.autonews.com/images/random/011005/det844568244rsunmon/chargertoo430.jpg

Get us some good underwater pics! :histeric:

Ralph
01-11-05, 09:51 PM
I've heard that there are still some running around up North and in Canada, some even being used as police vehicles.

I see those Eagles once in a while, and they are all that beige color. I've never seen them used as police vehicles, even 24 years ago. Crown Vics and anb occasional Impala/Intrepid, 4 by 4 are what the police use here.

klebrun
01-11-05, 09:57 PM
I see those Eagles once in a while, and they are all that beige color. I've never seen them used as police vehicles, even 24 years ago. Crown Vics and anb occasional Impala/Intrepid, 4 by 4 are what the police use here.

Ya, the article I read was a few years old. Maybe they were used in the smaller towns that didn't have much crime, but alot of snow. Definately not for use in police pursuits, just for regular calls. I think some fire departments used them, also. Unlike your smaller towns, the more populated cities probably had more money to plow regularly, thus allowing the use of more conventional vehicles.

Don't know if you are going to see too many of the new Chargers up there, though.

Ralph
01-11-05, 10:16 PM
Don't know if you are going to see too many of the new Chargers up there, though.

We are HUGE Chrysler buyers! I see a lot of Magnums, and 300's. We'll get them eventually after you guys get first pick of the nice colors. :sneaky:

klebrun
01-12-05, 03:28 AM
All units...All units...be on the lookout for a stolen 2006 Dodge Charger. Subject is a white male, 37, with a Canadian accent and goes by the name of Ralph. Be advised, subject may be armed and dangerous.

klebrun
01-12-05, 03:29 AM
Don't worry dispatch, we got him.

Playdrv4me
01-12-05, 04:46 AM
Man those AMC's were funkadelic looking. Its amazing to me that my beloved XJ Cherokee (single most successful SUV EVER, replaced by the joke called Liberty) actually came from the same company as those oddities.

Katshot
01-12-05, 07:51 AM

You're right. The '68 WAS the better looking one for sure.

Nicholas
01-12-05, 10:14 AM
The design philosophy of the new Charger: Cut out pictures of various Chryco cars, drop into hat. Grab a dozen or so pieces out. Glue to together. Voila! The new Dodge Charger.

Seriously, it's awful, just awful.

Sandy
01-12-05, 10:52 AM
Hot Rod Saint:

WHAT YEAR IS THAT TURBO DEISEL EAGLE/CONCORD ???
( I GOTTA KNOW ) !! :rolleyes:

HotRodSaint
01-12-05, 10:56 AM
Hot Rod Saint:

WHAT YEAR IS THAT TURBO DEISEL EAGLE/CONCORD ???
( I GOTTA KNOW ) !! :rolleyes:

The next time I see him, I'll ask. It's a beige wagon, if I recall correctly.

I'll see if he will also indulge me and allow me to photograph them.

Ralph
01-12-05, 03:04 PM
Don't worry dispatch, we got him.

Ya, I was the one driving that Pinto on the right. :o

D148L0
01-12-05, 03:14 PM
I like the charger, but I agree it's not the best grille.
The original one is not thaaaat good looking. I think the name involves more performance than style...

Sandy
01-12-05, 04:39 PM
The next time I see him, I'll ask. It's a beige wagon, if I recall correctly.

I'll see if he will also indulge me and allow me to photograph them.

He has NO CLUE how rare it is... I DO ! :worship: I believe it to be a 1985 or very very early 1986. I am working on gettin the EXACTproduction #. I think that I can do so.

evilrussian
01-12-05, 05:33 PM
If I cannot imagine this new charger painted orange with a rebel flag on top, it's not a REAL charger. That would be a disgrace for ol' General Lee :helpless:

87 Maroon
01-13-05, 07:55 PM
All this chatter about how the front end looks ..... You are only going to see that view for a second as the car comes up in your mirror. You really should be talking about the rear-end, cause that's all you are going to see ..... 6.1L Hemi / 425 hp. lol

RealmCenter
01-13-05, 08:11 PM
Too bad if you own one you have to look at that hideous front end every day. Just because it's fast doesn't mean it's pretty

HotRodSaint
01-13-05, 08:58 PM
All this chatter about how the front end looks ..... You are only going to see that view for a second as the car comes up in your mirror. You really should be talking about the rear-end, cause that's all you are going to see ..... 6.1L Hemi / 425 hp. lol

He's right. I just got back from the LA Auto Show.

The front is the strongest part of the car. It does look a little better in person.

From the side, it's not as bad as the pictures. These pictures don't show you the proportions very well. Think 300 with a fast back roof. It's the same size as a 300 and so is it's trunk.

The rear end on the other hand, is the same boring 300 design. Might even be the same tail lights. I wasn't that committed to finding out, as I didn't want to turn my 30 minute drive home into a 2 hour drive by screwing around.

87 Maroon
01-15-05, 01:40 PM
Was the 300 SRT8 at the LA show?
Same power as the Charger but not as radical (some have used the word ugly). Different fascias front and rear, bigger wheels, Mopar orange block.

HotRodSaint
01-16-05, 11:06 AM
Was the 300 SRT8 at the LA show?
Same power as the Charger but not as radical (some have used the word ugly). Different fascias front and rear, bigger wheels, Mopar orange block.

I wasn't looking for it, so if it was there, I missed it.

The Impala was there. The front looks generic like a Honda Accord.

While I didn't like the old style tailights, the new ones are also generic looking.

The Monte Carlo gets the new front (slightly more aggressive on the SS model), but keeps it backside.

The Corvette Z06, looks real good in silver! :thumbsup:
I have never been a Corvette fans, as I watched GM ruin the brand during the '70's and then try to play catch-up during the '80's and '90's. They have finally caught up and passed the competition.

The Chevy HHR looks like their version of the PT Cruiser. Except it looks bigger and better. I hope it gets the Cobalt SS engine, which looked like a Civic 2-door (maybe GM bought Honda and didn't tell anyone?)

Speaking of Honda. They have a useless truck that everyone was looking at. It's ugly and the bed is short and they should have brought it to market 10 years ago.

ShadowLvr400
01-18-05, 12:52 AM
Wow... I see all these "That's Ugly" And I'm thinking... "That looks pretty good. Make it a 2 door fastback type, give me RWD Hemi, or AWD Hemi, and I'll take one in silver or a darker grey."

Katshot
01-18-05, 07:49 AM
Wow... I see all these "That's Ugly" And I'm thinking... "That looks pretty good. Make it a 2 door fastback type, give me RWD Hemi, or AWD Hemi, and I'll take one in silver or a darker grey."

You ARE looking at the picture of the Deville limo, right? ;)

ShadowLvr400
01-18-05, 10:04 AM
Sorry, talking bout the Charger concept. Looks big and brutish, how a muscle car should. I don't like the 4 doors on it, chop a pair and make it the fastback it's hinting at, and I'd be happy.