: need motivation on buying an 09 and older STS

is3_ftw
04-21-13, 01:17 AM
i have been searching on autotrader and craigslist for local STS. Not sure what options are more known to have problems or recalls. What are the common color/trim combo with accessories that are an option and not standard. Im trying to narrow my search, so I am not looking at every STS and not know what I am looking for. I will be test driving one here in the not so distant future. But for now, I just want to kick the tires without going to the Stealership and get hassled by the not so considerate sale person, that dont know anything about the car that they sell. I figured I at least ask here and hopefully get some good insight on what is out there with minimal additional expenses, if there is such a thing with any car.

Thanks for taking the time to read and the help

jimmbo
04-21-13, 01:27 PM
Water leaking and remaining in trunk lid is common, so is heated steering wheel failure. loose seat cushions is also common. Headlight bulb replacement requires removal of complete front end, I would love to cane the people responsible for that. Rainsense wipers might or might not work consistantly, easy to circumvent and restore to normal intermitant mode.

EChas3
04-21-13, 02:30 PM
The more features it has, the more there is to go wrong. The more advanced the feature, the more expensive to fix. That could be said about most cars.

Someone who feels a comparable car is more reliable should consider both it's purchase price and repair cost. I've found the STS to be a good value.

turnne
04-22-13, 09:24 AM
Water leaking and remaining in trunk lid is common, so is heated steering wheel failure. loose seat cushions is also common. Headlight bulb replacement requires removal of complete front end, I would love to cane the people responsible for that. Rainsense wipers might or might not work consistantly, easy to circumvent and restore to normal intermitant mode.

I have not heard of the leaking trunk issue?

Thought GM fixed issue in the last STS/Aurora/Bonneville series cars

----------

[/COLOR]
The more features it has, the more there is to go wrong. The more advanced the feature, the more expensive to fix. That could be said about most cars.

Someone who feels a comparable car is more reliable should consider both it's purchase price and repair cost. I've found the STS to be a good value.

little more to it than that

Just because a car has more features doesn't mean it will be less reliable than one with less. That is well documented.

As I have stated before....perceived high( and often) repair costs will drive a luxury cars resale to the bottom quickly

So this drives the car to buyers who can afford to buy it because of its low resale...but cant afford to fix it.

Or...someone who chooses not to repair the car because the value of the car/repair cost ratio is negative. Neither situation is good for the overall market value of the car

These are both considerations in buying a luxury car as well from the dollars and cents standpoint

Warren

Ludacrisvp
04-22-13, 09:37 AM
Water leaking into the inside of the lid only... it doesn't pool in the bottom of the trunk (well I guess it would eventually if you never open the lid and love to try and force water in).

Source of leak for some is the 3rd brake light.
Source of leak for me was around the reverse lights.

Easy fix, and besides the lid is aluminum so not really a big deal and there are some rubber plugs that you can pull to drain the lid of water.

turnne
04-22-13, 09:17 PM
well it does sound like the older cars then

I used to have an Aurora and I am not sure where the water came in...but it would gather in the trim and then pool in the spare tire well

Had an 02 STS as well..it didnt leak....though I have seen many others that did

Warren

EChas3
04-22-13, 09:25 PM
Our '98 STS didn't leak, but neither do our newer ones.

Like so many issues, far more members post when it does happen than ever post when it doesn't. Nothing here is statistically meaningful; just interesting.

Ludacrisvp
04-23-13, 12:41 AM
^^ correct. My 02 DTS didn't have any issues with water leaking.

is3_ftw
04-23-13, 01:34 AM

this is what im interested in hearing. different peoples perspective of their issues of the STS they own or owned.
my IS300 is the same way on changing the headlights. And on top of that, its the only way to change the signal bulbs as well. And there is 2 bulbs per side :( i hate hyper blinking signals

Like so many issues, far more members post when it does happen than ever post when it doesn't. Nothing here is statistically meaningful; just interesting.

interesting to know ;)

is3_ftw
04-25-13, 01:36 AM
Is it true that the Northstar is a stronger motor than the V6 for '09 or older?

Ludacrisvp
04-25-13, 09:25 AM
The Northstar has always been the stronger motor (regardless of year).
More HP
More Torque
More Displacement, Valves, Pistons, Cylinders, Lifters ... you get the idea :p
More reliable - no timing chain issues, no oil consumption issues.

07+ it has the 6 spd transmission attached to it, V6 got the 6spd in 08+, otherwise they had the 5spd.

EChas3
04-25-13, 07:42 PM
In 2010, the Rainsense feature was deleted, but you could still get the N* & ACC. No more after that.

fps_dean
04-26-13, 10:46 AM
If it helps, I've had very few problems on my 2005 and it has nearly 100k on it now.

A sensor on a door handle (that unlocks the car when the keyfob is near) went. That was covered under warranty and would have been about $250 if not.

The CD player no longer plays burnt CDs (I use my phone as a mp3 player anyway).

The biggest problem is the TPMS sensors. I replace them and 2 years later the batteries die and they either stop working or start reporting bad values, especially in the cold, but that's a problem that almost everybody I know has with their car anyway regardless of make. At this point I just click off the warning messages and periodically check my tire pressure with a gauge.

Absolutely no front end work, no oil leakage or mechanical problems of any sort.

I don't beat the crap out of it by any means and avoid all of the bumps I can, which I'm sure accounts for something but still...

I hear both engines are reliable enough, but the Northstar has tons of low end power and I gather they get about the same gas mileage (I get about 18 in the winter when I remote start it and 20.5 in the summer, very consistently unless I take a trip on 100% highway on flatter grounds than I normally drive on).

I would buy the car again. My experiences don't speak for everyone obviously, but I say go for it.

is3_ftw
04-27-13, 02:03 PM
If it helps, I've had very few problems on my 2005 and it has nearly 100k on it now.

Nice to know. 100k miles is a confidence builder. Are you the original owner?

The Northstar has always been the stronger motor (regardless of year).
More HP
More Torque
More Displacement, Valves, Pistons, Cylinders, Lifters ... you get the idea :p
More reliable - no timing chain issues, no oil consumption issues.

07+ it has the 6 spd transmission attached to it, V6 got the 6spd in 08+, otherwise they had the 5spd.

Does that mean that the V6 has more issues compared to the Northstar?
I might be leaning towards the V6 for cheaper insurance premium

Ludacrisvp
04-27-13, 02:43 PM
The V6 does have more issues. It's the same 3.6 used in the CTS and SRX so if you've looked at those at all you will see what I'm talking about.

I would bet that a V8 with adaptive cruise, forward collision avoidance, blind spot detection and lane departure warning would have almost the same premium as the V6 would. (More safety features available on the V8 model)

Not sure how old you are or your driving record but mine is what I would consider to be relatively cheap. 2 cars for $100 a month with $500 deduct and free glass with higher bodily injury coverage than minimums.
2001 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L V6 ~80k miles.
2008 STS4 AWD 4.6L V8 ~80k miles.
I've got no speeding / moving violations.

is3_ftw
04-30-13, 12:51 AM
Funny you said the CTS. I have read horror stories of the V6 problems. Good, or should I say, bad to know that the V6 is both in the CTS and STS. I am going to call my insurance companay tomorrow, as I found an 07, silver on black V8 rwd with 75k miles on the ODO. The bad is that the wheels are 20's. If I am going to test drive a car, it should have stock wheels.

My next question is, what is the difference between the 05-07 model yr and 08-12 model yr? This goes with additional option and features, tranny issues, recalls, etc. The more info, the better ;) This is for the Northstar V8 motor

Thanks for the help so far. Keep them coming

EChas3
04-30-13, 09:03 PM
The CTS does have an engine option that I'd find acceptable, I don't know the RPO but it's commonly known as the V.

centennialman
04-30-13, 10:12 PM
i have been searching on autotrader and craigslist for local STS. Not sure what options are more known to have problems or recalls. What are the common color/trim combo with accessories that are an option and not standard. Im trying to narrow my search, so I am not looking at every STS and not know what I am looking for. I will be test driving one here in the not so distant future. But for now, I just want to kick the tires without going to the Stealership and get hassled by the not so considerate sale person, that dont know anything about the car that they sell. I figured I at least ask here and hopefully get some good insight on what is out there with minimal additional expenses, if there is such a thing with any car.

Thanks for taking the time to read and the help
As far as I know, 08 was the first year with a 'direct injected' V6. And that would be my year. 300+ horsepower on regular gas, plus decent mileage if you are light footed. Go to an 07, and you loose 50 HP, and probably need premium gas (could be wrong here). For example, I drove Toronto to near Ft. Lauderdale on pretty much 50 gallons (US) of gas. So, about 30 mpg. It's also an STS-4, so the traction is amazing. As is the braking, because it also came with the performance braking system. It's the most stable car I've ever driven. I've driven it about 24K miles in the 2 years that I've owned it; 1 bad coil pack and front hub so far, but all covered either under the 100K mile / 5 year warranty, or the extended warranty that I bought (definitely consider this).

EChas3
04-30-13, 10:53 PM
Glad you're happy. So are we!

2007CadiFatty
05-02-13, 12:26 AM
I bought my '07 STS V8 RWD with 57,000 miles in October and after 5,000 miles it has had no problems whatsoever. I just drained and refilled the coolant since it was probably the original. Speed governors vary, mine cuts out at 109 mph which is absurd but HP Tuners makes software to fix this.

is3_ftw
05-02-13, 12:57 AM
The CTS does have an engine option that I'd find acceptable, I don't know the RPO but it's commonly known as the V.
I see that you have an 07 and 06 STS. besides the AWD and the RWD differences. What noticeable difference is it between the 1SG and 1SE on yours?

haha, I was looking at the CTS-V, but I really dont need that much hp. I do like the style of both CTS and STS. Im leaning more to the STS for more luxury and less sporty feel. I have an IS300 that is sporty and Im 37. Need for a change

EChas3
05-02-13, 08:44 PM
The 1SG has the goodies:

CE4 - HEADLAMP WASHERS
F55 - CVRTD MAGNETO RHEOLOGICAL
FE3 - MAGNETIC RIDE CONTROL
GU5 - AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
JE5 - 17" PERFORMANCE BRAKES
K59 - ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL INCLUDES HEAD-UP DISPLAY
KB6 - HEATED/VENTILATED FRONT SEATS
N87 - 18" POLISHED ALUMINUM WHEELS
NV7 - PREMIUM ZF STEERING GEAR
T43 - REAR SPOILER
TQ5 - INTELLIBEAM AUTO HIGH BEAM CONTROL
TT6 - HIGH INTENSITY DISCHARGE (HID) HEADLAMPS
UV6 - RECONFIGURABLE HEAD UP DISPLAY
V03 - PERFORMANCE COOLING PACKAGE

curtc
05-02-13, 09:58 PM
1SE is the base model I believe, then 1SF, then 1SG...

The only thing my 1SF doesn't have is the big brakes, upgraded steering, and six lug hubs as far as I know.

is3_ftw
05-04-13, 01:27 PM
Is there a way to tell which package the car has?
I found one at a car lot(not a caddy stealership). 07 with 75k on the odo. Haven't talked to the sales about price. I can get the VIN #

curtc
05-04-13, 04:16 PM
Is there a way to tell which package the car has?
I found one at a car lot(not a caddy stealership). 07 with 75k on the odo. Haven't talked to the sales about price. I can get the VIN #

Run the VIN on this site;

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

It will list all of the option codes for that vehicle.

EChas3
05-04-13, 07:00 PM
There's a tag on the spare tire cover: V6 models are 1SA, 1SB & 1SC and V8's are 1SE, 1SF & 1SG. Individual option RPO codes are also listed. Running the VIN can produce the same information PLUS all GM dealer-performed maintenance.

If the OP is still looking for motivation, the STS still offers quite a lot of features at a competitve price and there aren't all that many of them on the road. My wife and I love ours.

Detractors can legitimately counter-argue that repairs can be frequent and expensive. Availability of aftermarket modifications and/or are very limited. Opinions vary.

Have fun!

is3_ftw
05-05-13, 01:18 AM
So far, the info has been helpful and hope to hear more feedback from others

There's a tag on the spare tire cover: V6 models are 1SA, 1SB & 1SC and V8's are 1SE, 1SF & 1SG. Individual option RPO codes are also listed. Running the VIN can produce the same information PLUS all GM dealer-performed maintenance.

If the OP is still looking for motivation, the STS still offers quite a lot of features at a competitve price and there aren't all that many of them on the road. My wife and I love ours.

Detractors can legitimately counter-argue that repairs can be frequent and expensive. Availability of aftermarket modifications and/or are very limited. Opinions vary.

Have fun!

Where exactly should I look for the codes on the spare tire cover? Also, I was sitting in the car and couldn't find the trunk release button/lever. Is it hidden? The part that sucks about this car is that they have it on 20" wheels and will only change it to stock wheels when it is purchased and not before then. To me, the bigger wheels will give the ride a different feel, or does it matter?

The downfall about getting the cadillac is finding a new mechanic that I can trust. I have been going to 1 mechanic for the past 17yrs. He only works on Japanese engines and will only do minor engine work on other engines. He saved me over $1500 on my 90k service on my IS. The stealerships wanted $2200 for a 90k service WTF!!

EChas3
05-05-13, 05:05 PM
When you're looking at the spare, the 4" x 5" label is staring you in the face. It has the VIN and all the build codes for the car (unless the trunk floor molding has been altered or replaced.)

The trunk release is at the rear of the driver's door map pocket. The wheels indirectly affect the ride due to the very low-profile tires which can make a dramatic difference. Differently equipped STS vary greatly with some drivers finding many of the OEM setups too firm.

Some repairs almost require a Cadillac dealer. Other GM dealers may have access to the corporate network & resources but I think an STS owner will find value in having a good relationship with one or more Cadillac dealers. A good independent (or DIYer with a service manual or AllData) can do most service.

mckellyb
05-05-13, 06:59 PM
Headlight bulb replacement requires removal of complete front end, I would love to cane the people responsible for that.

I'll be immediately behind you in line.

Had to do it again this weekend, because the gaskets got a bit pinched putting them back.

90 minutes with the garage hair drier, some clear bathtub caulk, a few creative phrases directed at the engineers who did this, and it should be okay...I hope.

EChas3
05-05-13, 08:15 PM
IDK, it's not a common occurance. My wife and I have had our cars for over fours years and neither one has needed it.

carter's_sts
05-06-13, 12:53 PM
Just cursed yourself E. ;)

turnne
05-06-13, 08:44 PM

well ofcourse they would not because water should not be in the trunk

on a GM larger body cars...water leaks were VERY common

My Aurora leaked...and at least one of the 02 STS's I looked had water in the truck when I opened

Ofcourse it does not get as much "press" as the HG issue...which you did have...right?

and many dont say anything about their HG ( on older cars) still performing well

Warren

----------

I'll be immediately behind you in line.

Had to do it again this weekend, because the gaskets got a bit pinched putting them back.

90 minutes with the garage hair drier, some clear bathtub caulk, a few creative phrases directed at the engineers who did this, and it should be okay...I hope.

that is a nightmare...and a bad engineering

do you have HIDs?

Warren

EChas3
05-06-13, 08:47 PM
Just cursed yourself E. ;)

My bulbs got no internet connection. They are low-information glowers.

carter's_sts
05-06-13, 11:12 PM
Ha, hopefully they stay that way.

My bulbs got no internet connection. They are low-information glowers.