: Rusty brake rotors

hemiwin
04-20-13, 08:14 PM
Is there anything I can do about my rusty brake rotors? Will a high temp paint hold up? I hate having a nice, clean escalade with shiny 22" chrome wheels, the seeing the ugly rusty rotors behind.
I'm not talking about the braking surface, but the mounting surface and edges. I will get new rotors if I have to, but not if they will just rust quickly.

Any ideas??

THANKS

jlawsonz
04-20-13, 09:55 PM
Is there anything I can do about my rusty brake rotors? Will a high temp paint hold up? I hate having a nice, clean escalade with shiny 22" chrome wheels, the seeing the ugly rusty rotors behind.
I'm not talking about the braking surface, but the mounting surface and edges. I will get new rotors if I have to, but not if they will just rust quickly.

Any ideas??

THANKS

Google search for "brake dust shields escalade".

blackex
04-22-13, 08:49 AM
Wondered the same thing. Had new brakes installed and the rotors have already started to rust up from the brake dust resting on the metal surfaces of the rotor. Anyone have any pictures of the brake dust shields installed?

ELUSIVE
04-22-13, 09:13 AM
Why not paint them?

blackex
04-22-13, 09:19 AM
Paint is an option however at this point and probably for most people if the rotors are not brand new, you will have to sand the inside rotor area that hugs up to the wheel and then paint it with a high temp paint? I've considered getting new rotors with that part painted black already or new cross drilled rotors that are plated that will not rust up from brake dust resting on them.

ELUSIVE
04-22-13, 11:21 AM
I would think you could sand it down, tape it off and spray paint it with some high temp paint (Krylon makes some high temp bbq black paint). Would be super easy and pretty inexpensive and look much better than rusting.
Just a thought.

Damndirtyape
04-22-13, 11:42 AM
When I put my rotors on last time, I didn't bother taping it off and I just used wally world BBQ paint. The pads will swipe just what needs to be cleared off and burn it off, no problem. Looks great to this day.

hemiwin6.2
04-22-13, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I think I'll try to paint them.

SpyShops NY
04-23-13, 12:44 AM
I got cross drilled rotors with the black on the outer part and only the rotor is silver

the blur
04-23-13, 12:58 AM
It's raw cast iron. It's going to rust. Unless you powder coat only that area.