: Cold air intake

mygpascaddy
04-19-13, 09:17 PM
I'm looking for a simple project to improve the performance on my 93 fwb. Has anyone put a cold air on and what were the noticeable changes?

selftaught
04-19-13, 11:07 PM
They never truly work, the stock box, was the only true solution for your engine. Cold Air intake is highly used in turbo applications. The K&N brand boasts they can improve gas mileage but its marketing gimmickry. Get a good quality Air filter and keep it stock.

carnut
04-20-13, 12:20 AM
I agree, bragging rights only.

csbuckn
04-20-13, 02:20 AM
Well I'm looking for a way to make a cheap cold air intake or a dual snorkel for the 500, any ideas? Personally, I believe in CAI's, colder air with less restriction means more top end air intake and a denser spark.

outsider
04-20-13, 09:32 AM
I've seen some people make their own cold air intakes using basic hardware store items like the flexible drier exhaust duct and PVC pipe with some clamps...then attached a basic k&n cone filter. not sure how well they worked but if you're looking to get creative there are ways.

MoistCabbage
04-20-13, 12:50 PM
"Denser spark"???

RippyPartsDept
04-20-13, 01:21 PM
spark density refers to how much energy is actually in the spark
http://thesis.library.caltech.edu/5868/
although i'm not sure how the air intake relates to that

jayoldschool
04-20-13, 02:23 PM
I agree, bragging rights only.

I'll disagree, and it's easy to prove. On the LT1 cars, one can use simple software to monitor engine parameters, including intake air temperature. Comparing the stock IAT to a car with a well designed cold air intake like the K&N (that uses a cold air box), or the SSRI (that pulls air from in FRONT of the rad), the IAT show a significant drop on the latter at both low speeds and cruise.

RippyPartsDept
04-20-13, 02:30 PM
I'll disagree, and it's easy to prove. On the LT1 cars, one can use simple software to monitor engine parameters, including intake air temperature. Comparing the stock IAT to a car with a well designed cold air intake like the K&N (that uses a cold air box), or the SSRI (that pulls air from in FRONT of the rad), the IAT show a significant drop on the latter at both low speeds and cruise.

:yeah:

but once you start talking about a northstar that all goes out the window and you will get reverse results

jayoldschool
04-20-13, 04:40 PM
Why would we want to talk about the Northstar? We like our engines pointing in the correct direction, pushing, not pulling. I also am a fan of head bolts that don't destroy engine blocks.

cadillac kevin
04-20-13, 04:54 PM
Why would we want to talk about the Northstar? We like our engines pointing in the correct direction, pushing, not pulling. I also am a fan of head bolts that don't destroy engine blocks.

So there's no N* into brougham swap in your future? LOL

MoistCabbage
04-20-13, 04:59 PM

I think Chris's point was, the same mod will not have the same effect in all vehicles.

Without dyno results, or drag strip time slips, nobody can say weather or not a mod actually improves performance or not.