: 'Shift to Park' Part Deux

beyerch
04-19-13, 08:01 PM
A while ago, I encountered the lovely doors unlock, transmission locks into 3rd gear, DTC (0700) is set, and car displays 'Shift to Park' in DIC after parked and turned off..... The only way I could get around this was to unplug the battery for a while which was frustrating as it prevented me from doing any research with the Tech II.

Today, while driving on the same road at almost the exact same spot, it happened again; however, this time the Tech II was sitting on the passenger seat. Here is some additional info about this problem.....

- After going through DTC information for all of the active modules in the car, the only DTC set is P0700. I was hoping to find something buried in the IP or other Body module that might have provided more info, but unfortunately, no.
- Clearing the DTC from the engine controller did in fact restore normal driving characterisics. The car would shift normally and I could control shifting in manual mode unlike the last time this happened.
- Clearing the DTC from the ECM did *NOT* clear up the shift to park message.
- Clearing DTC's from all controllers, I had a few random ones, did not clear up the shift to park message.
- No matter how hard I tried, 'Shift to Park' and the annoying beeping persisted and I had to pull the battery again.....
- I viewed Tech II data for the shift data items and nothing appeared out of the ordinary?? The parking lock / position indicator information all read properly according to the tool.

- The Engine Light and Doors unlocked while I was cruising at a constant 25-28 MPH. I know the speed definitely as the street in question is a heavily policed area and they are very firm about enforcing the 25 mph limit.
- Over the past couple week or so my car has been throwing up the 'Service Stability System' and a very rare 'Shift to Park' message. Shift to park has happened maybe 3 times in the last month. Over the past week, the 'Service Stability System' went from almost never appearing to happening 5 or 6 times while driving the car. If I do the Tech II test of the Steering Wheel Angle sensor it mostly passes; however, it sometimes fails. I've been waiting for warm weather to replace that sensor.

I wonder if there is a shared circuit between these two systems?

The weather has been rather wet the last couple weeks which is when the messages really started popping up.

----

With all of that said, I strongly believe there is some sort of internal counter or monitor that is stored in one of the module's memory that has no way of being cleared other than disconnecting the battery. The next time this happens, I'll test this theory by pulling fuses to the modules individually instead of pulling the battery to see if I can narrow it down. I assume this is coming from the BCM, though.... After I reconnect the battery tonight, I"m also going to monitor the other errors in regards to the 'Service Stability System' to see if that starts behaving again.....

Replacing the micro-switch may 'solve' this problem as well; however, at this point I want to understand why the nag message appears and never goes away until the battery is disconnected. If the switch was failed, pulling the battery shouldn't fix things... If the switch is intermittent, pulling the battery wouldn't fix things either unless the system is just keeping a running tally, etc....

PGA2B
04-20-13, 12:09 AM
Interesting. Keep the thread updated please. I recently had an issue where mine would not go out of park.

boomys10
04-22-13, 03:33 PM
please do keep this running. im curious as to the outcome for!!

hiltonny
04-23-13, 01:33 PM
I bought a 2008 last month that beeped every time the car was shut off with a message that it was not in Park. The dealer changed the shifter and the problem went away. There was a thread where the switch inside the shifter was replaced to correct the problem cheaper than replacing the shifter,http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/neutral_safety_switch/cadillac/sts.html.

faris789
05-23-13, 02:07 PM
I had a very similar problem. Thankfully, the car was under extended warrant and I asked the dealer to take the car until the problem was fixed. Initially it felt like I had some gremlins in the car messing with me. Doors would lock and unlock on their own, car would go into limp mode, I could not get it to acknowledge it was in park when it was, I could not shut off the accessory and the battery drained. What it turned out to be was a sensor switch within the shifter not working properly. I know this sounds like it wouldn't solve the issue of door locks etc., but trust me it did. This problem started with one or two issues a few years ago and then one day, all hell broke lose.
The part on my STS -V was the Transmission Internal Mode switch - FP part number 24242938
Two years later, all is good and no similar issues have come up.
Cheers. BF

FourFather
07-21-13, 05:56 PM
I love my STS-V, but I do have the "Shift to Park- Accessory Mode on" problem that started randomly and infrequently, but now is frequent.

I appreciate the posts about this, and especially the part number listed above--STS -V was the Transmission Internal Mode switch - FP part number 24242938--and am wondering if there might be a "How To Replace the Switch" guide somewhere, to help me do it myself?

Thanks in advance.

Eddie FourFather Hill

Nimoch
08-05-14, 11:11 PM
I'm getting this issue almost every time I park now. I suppose I can buy the part and have a shop install it...

Carlosg
08-09-14, 09:04 AM
Took my car to dealer for the same issue I ask if they could adjust the linkage. They did but same thing kept coming up so they replace the shifter. My total was $ 701.00 part n labor. Car is better now, when I get out I think it gonna say shift to park old habits.

Nimoch
08-09-14, 11:09 AM
I went to a buddy who adjusted the linkage; he had to do it twice as the first time didn't work. Crossing my fingers that I don't have to replace the shifter.

faris789
08-22-14, 02:32 PM
Wow, 2.5 years after replacing the Transmission Internal Switch, the exact same issue has reared its ugly head. Shift into park for the last several weeks, now, dead battery overnight. I no longer have extended warranty and am going to plead my case to Cadillac, which I believe we all should be doing now... I live in a hilly area and downshift to reduce the stress on the brakes. I guess I wont be do that any more, the brembos, rotors and battery are much easier to replace than the switch. I think this is a re-occurring failed part issue and should be covered under recall. It's a switch for crying out loud and not a part which should wear out due to normal operation of this vehicle.

Virgnslayer
08-29-14, 01:17 PM
Did anyone fix this yet, my 2008 sts is pissing me off =(

Nimoch
08-29-14, 07:29 PM
After 2 linkage adjustments I occasionally still get the error. A little wiggle of the shift knob will take it out of ACC mode.

jasonp12
08-29-14, 07:56 PM
Mine does it for like 2 weeks. Then it stops for a few weeks. Then it comes back. I give up on it. Usually just a littlw wiggle fixes it.

Carlosg
08-29-14, 10:38 PM
Yeah I had that same problem for a long time. I took to dealer to c if they could adjust they try but the same thing kept coming up. I had gave up already n I could have install it but I let them do it part was 300, n labor was another 300.

jasonp12
08-29-14, 10:41 PM
Yeah I had that same problem for a long time. I took to dealer to c if they could adjust they try but the same thing kept coming up. I had gave up already n I could have install it but I let them do it part was 300, n labor was another 300.

Yeah no thank you. I can live with it before I pay that much.

2007CadiFatty
09-09-14, 01:49 AM
Just had this happen to me on my 2007 with the N*. Anyone know where the switch is located on the 6L50?

CoolV
10-18-14, 10:56 PM
Bout to lose my freakin' mind!! Owned my "V" for exactly 29 days and so far I've had to replace the front brakes, Cadillac put 2 huge scratches in my hood, discovered I need two new front tires b/c of worn insides and now I'm a member of the "shift to Park" club!!! I know where someone can purchase a "V" pretty soon if this B.S. keeps up!!

Rboughne1
10-18-14, 11:44 PM
Bout to lose my freakin' mind!! Owned my "V" for exactly 29 days and so far I've had to replace the front brakes, Cadillac put 2 huge scratches in my hood, discovered I need two new front tires b/c of worn insides and now I'm a member of the "shift to Park" club!!! I know where someone can purchase a "V" pretty soon if this B.S. keeps up!!

Just had mine aligned after putting on lowering springs at 14.5k miles. Factory setup runs a LOT of camber to meet performance specs. Have the car aligned to STOCK STS SETTINGS AMND YOUR INSIDE FRINTS WONT MELT OFF. FYI-all sport sedans are set up from the factory that way these days...BMW, Merc, you name it. Talked to my alignment guy, the sports cars/performance sedans from most manufacturers are so out of wack when new that when they get realigned everything is far in the red.

Nimoch
11-01-14, 10:11 PM
Couldn't get V outta StP for the first time; always could wiggle or re-shift it out. Had to disconnect the negative terminal. Will take it back to my mechanic on Mon morning.

hornduo
11-02-14, 05:41 PM
My 2008 has the same issue. I can still trick it back into thinking it's in P. Some days I have to start car back up and turn off again. Some days it corrects by wiggling the shifter and steering wheel. Pain in the ass. I'll look into the Transmission Internal Mode switch - (FP part number 24242938) you guys mention above.

The OP seems to have deeper issues with the gremlins. My DTS had a nasty gremlin and the had to replace 1/2 of the car before they found it. Good Luck.

beyerch
11-02-14, 11:59 PM
Here's an update on my part:

I was still sporadically getting the Shift To Park message as well as the Service Stability System messages and it seemed like one was appearing, the other followed suit.

Did some research on the Service Stability System message and found reference to the steering wheel angle position sensor that is at the base of the steering wheel column near the firewall. If the steering wheel angle jumps too far in any direction, it will trigger the Service Stability System message. In the Tech II, there is a Special Function that 'tests' this sensor by having you turn the wheel from side to side to check for any anomalous data.

While testing my steering wheel, I was failing 9 tests out of 10 all day long. Repair is to essentially pull out column and repair sensor. Before resorting to this, I inspected the wiring "just in case". While I didn't see anything visibly wrong with the wiring, I noticed that the wire had tension on it as it looks like someone may have replaced it before, but did a shitty job at it. I rerouted some wiring so that the tension was relieved and .... no more failures. Every once in a blue moon, I will get the Stability message, but if I adjust the wire from the sensor, it goes away and doesn't come back for a "long time".

The Shift To Park situation has magically also resolved itself and I've seen this message maybe once in the last 6 months. I was able to get the message to go away without pulling the battery. My last efforts were focused around remove the shift out of Park and back into Park. For me, it appears that the issue is in the button in the knob. If I just press/release it a bunch of times, the message goes away.

$.02