: 81 Fleetwood wont stay running after start

98CDEVILLE
04-19-13, 07:45 PM
HI, I have a 1981 Fleetwood brougham with 368 v864. The car was running fine. Then a few days ago it would shut down without notice as if you turned off the key. You could restart and it would be fine. The problem started happen more often each day. Engine hot or cold does not matter.Now today it will start as normal then within 10 seconds turn off as if you turned off the key. Even if I rev the motor. I have replaced the ignition module, fuel pump, sending unit, full tune up with factory parts, water pump, coolant sensor, o2 sensor, alt and battery.. There are no codes and I do have a fsm.. Cant seem to figure this out. Thanks for any help Jeff

lacville'78
04-19-13, 07:56 PM
I had the same prob with my 78 eldo I thought it was the alt so I replaced it but kept happening. I opened the carb and cleaned it all out and sprayed inside the fuel lines with the cleaner and it took care of the prob. If yours is fuel injected you can get it cleaned out at like a Valvoline or quick lube place for like $60. Worked for me. Best of luck

creeker
04-19-13, 09:51 PM
Fuel filter?, my 80 cdv had the fuel filter in the rochester carb. body.

98CDEVILLE
04-19-13, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the response.. It turned out to be the fuel pump cutting out and not building pressure..Back to the auto store for replacement..

The Ape Man
04-21-13, 10:28 AM
Maybe check if the pump is still getting power once the car is started.

drmenard
04-21-13, 02:12 PM
That's right Jay it could be the fuel pump relay... I would hate to change the pump if it was the relay...

98CDEVILLE
04-22-13, 01:12 AM
Thanks again for all the help. checked relay and switched it with a known good one off my 83 Fleetwood and it did the same thing. I use my meter and the computer is telling the relay to stay closed until car dies which is correct per fsm. The reason I think its the pump is that if I jumper the relay for the pump to run it sounds really bad as if its struggling to run and theres no pressure building up. If I remove the jumper and connect it back quickly a few times the pump makes a different sound and the car runs perfect. The pump I bought when I got my new fuel tank was cheap. This time I'll go for the high dollar one.