: has anyone had a problem with 98 sls dieing at a low idle?

okcadidriver
01-10-05, 02:16 PM
I just bought a 98 SLS and not frequently but everynow and then when you come to a stop the idle drops to 500 RPM and then it dies? and ideas?

mcowden
01-10-05, 04:14 PM
Search the forums for IAC or idle control, there are lots of posts out there about idle air control issues and how to fix them. Also search for clean throttle body and you'll find info about how to clean the throttle body bore and plate, which can also help.

Outside of those two things, what comes to mind for me is a crank position sensor. Are there any codes in the computer?

M C
:cheers:

kingsize
01-10-05, 10:21 PM
I had this problem on my 98 STS a couple of times. I cleaned the throttle body out and adjusted the idle set screw up a bit. My throttle blades were binding up slightly at the fully closed position. Good Luck!

Kingsize

kingsize
01-10-05, 10:27 PM
Sorry,

I should have said that I adjusted the screw DOWN a bit. That moves the blades slightly toward the open position which eliminated the binding problem I was having.

KS

danbuc
01-10-05, 10:52 PM
I'll have to try that. Mine only died once when it was moving, the rest of the time, it happens with my foot on the brake once I shift it into reverse.

okcadidriver
01-11-05, 02:17 PM
Thanks For the tips