: I wsnt to get a self Tuner !!!

gsandhu
04-19-13, 04:35 PM
I need to get a tune that I can just plug in and flash back to stock when I need to go back to dealer!! Please help I heard the diablosport is good?

Crystal Red CTS-V
04-19-13, 06:55 PM
FWIW, I was told that even if the stock tune is reloaded back into the ECU, the dealer or GM can tell that it was "unlocked" and can deny warranty coverage of a powertrain related failure. Those tuners that claim their tunes leave no trace should provide a written guarantee that they will cover warranty costs if GM says the car had a tune and voids the warranty.

RapidRob
04-19-13, 10:53 PM
Ya - both Diablosport and Waitforme claim to have non-traceable tune solutions, but never heard if either of those claims have been proven. So IMO, tune at your own risk ....

Rob

Crippler
04-20-13, 02:30 AM
Buy a new PCM .. One stock one tuned :) I've seen a few floating around out there .

Gary Wells
04-20-13, 11:26 AM
Plan on paying if ya wanna go playing.

smackdownCTSV
04-20-13, 12:56 PM
I had 2 diffs and a supercharger replaced under warranty while tuned by Diablosport.

Smokin80
04-20-13, 01:22 PM
I had 2 diffs and a supercharger replaced under warranty while tuned by Diablosport.

Although this shows that wty can be had while tuned.....

Why did you have the failures?

smackdownCTSV
04-20-13, 01:41 PM
You've been around here long enough to know it's fairy common.

Random84
04-20-13, 02:27 PM
<sigh>

PSA: You bought and paid for a warranty covering a stock car with the factory original calibration. If you tune it, you're purposefully voiding that warranty for your own purposes.

To try and con GM out of a warranty claim by purposefully concealing the tune, or swapping ECMs (or changing parts back before limping it in) is tantamount to stealing. If you have a tune, take the car to the dealer for a problem and they cover it anyway - that's because they're being generous or giving you the courtesy of fixing a known defect that has no reasonable association with your modifications; and that's on the dealer.

People are far too cavalier with the practice of ripping off automakers these days, given we all expect 100% coverage for anything that goes wrong during a standard warranty period (even something that was not directly the fault of the auto maker).

/PSA

RippyPartsDept
04-20-13, 02:39 PM
slight correction ... you're correct about everything Random84, except getting warranty issues fixed that aren't in association with mods
the dealer/GM must be able to prove that the mod caused the failure to deny warranty
you can sue them and win if they can't prove it

maybe i misunderstood what you were writing and you mean exactly that but i just wanted to make it clear

in practical application dealers make judgement calls on what they might or might not be able to prove caused a failure
for instance, say your rear axle shears off in the differential ... not a common thing (at stock HP)
if the dealer knows you've added power they would probably deny the warranty claim
it's then on you to make the judgement call if you think they can prove it or not in court if you decide to sue

and another side of the issue is that sometimes dealers get warranty repairs done that were caused by the mod
but that dealer is going around GM's policy at that point and doing you a favor behind GM's back (basically)
if they get caught they're at least going to have to pay GM back for the repairs they authorized incorrectly

smackdownCTSV
04-20-13, 04:55 PM
If you have a tune, take the car to the dealer for a problem and they cover it anyway - that's because they're being generous or giving you the courtesy of fixing a known defect that has no reasonable association with your modifications; and that's on the dealer.

I also have a lower pulley. I doubt the dealer was being generous. I just think they didn't check and if they did, they didn't see it. If they told me I had a tune, so no new diff, I'd tell them to prove the tune/pulley caused it and that it wasn't from the diff being under-filled from the factory. But I haven't had to go through that.

PS. to your PSA. Try not to lose too much sleep over the poor greedy dealers and GM posting record profits after getting taxpayer money.

Smokin80
04-21-13, 02:03 AM
You've been around here long enough to know it's fairy common.

Ok fine. Lol. I hate fairy's.

I know the diff is pretty common.

wait4me
04-21-13, 02:58 AM
Since 2008 not a single person running our tunes have been denied warranty for anything. So it is safe to say I am correct in what I have said that mine are hidden.... There are HUNDREDS of our handhelds out there for the Vs with 0 issues...

Both ours and the diablo sport do almost the same thing to prevent warranty blocks...

As for swapping other computers out, that does NOT WORK. As the door module keeps track of module swaps...

Crippler
04-21-13, 03:37 AM
Where do I get your tune ? Thanks for the info about the PCM swap too. ! Very interested

Random84
04-21-13, 09:44 AM
PS. to your PSA. Try not to lose too much sleep over the poor greedy dealers and GM posting record profits after getting taxpayer money.

My goal isn't to call individuals out on their choices, so I purposefully phrased my post to side-step what people do or don't say to their dealer (which is a privately owned business); as for the rest I'll save that political argument for another thread. And I agree that, realistically, it would be very presumptuous to assume just a tune had any real effect on differential replacement. But to think that increasing power output by 15-20% with pulleys, etc and saying that couldn't possibly have an effect on differential life... well, that's just laughable - and I think you'd lose that argument if you ever found yourself lawyering up to argue otherwise.

Dealers and people make all kinds of decisions to suit their best interests. But to say I shouldn't lose sleep over people trying to con GM into subsidizing their mod failures is much like saying it's okay to steal from someone - as long as they're really rich and received favorable government influence to increase their wealth.

It's silly, there really is no excuse and whether your swiping a candy bar from the 7-11 because the clerk is outside, or swapping tunes so GM will replace your diff or transmission after a pulley swap and a few years of racing... at the end of the day, it's still dishonest.

I just don't like to see so many grown men promoting the idea openly without reservation or warning to those asking about the topic, and in Wait4me and DiabloSport's case, making a decent living off of it while actively advertising how well their con works! But that's just me.

Carry on.