: cat gutting

boomys10
04-19-13, 02:29 PM
i know its been posted but this is quick and i couldnt find it. i want to gutt mine tmrrw since ih ave all day off, HOWEVER! want to make sure other than the stupid CEL i wont have performance issues.. the light will be tuned out when the car gets tuned shortly, so dont care about it..

1madstsv
04-19-13, 02:54 PM
It might run rich/lean but not bad enough to hirt if only for a little while.

boomys10
04-19-13, 05:23 PM
hum.. i might wait then cuz i dont have a set date with steck to retune. dangit.. lol

1madstsv
04-19-13, 06:26 PM
Why do you want to gut them??

boomys10
04-20-13, 12:41 PM
bc they seem to fail anyway so might as well just remove before that happens. also, free alil more flow and power.

PGA2B
04-20-13, 01:55 PM
Since mine are new and we smog test out here that is not an option for me. I will say if they fail again before I sell her I will take her to an exhaust shop and have them weld in flanges and add aftermarket high flows with a "test" pipe option.

Charles Warren
04-29-13, 02:53 PM
i dont have a v but reg 4.6 and mine are gutted and no ses light since i use the spark plug non fouler trick. and it does make it look blow by when i down shift all the way down to 1st but thats just the unburnt gas. x pipe no res to two moroso sprial flo mufflers is what im runnung as far as exhaust, its loud but not to look at me while idling or cruising. sounds like a pisse off cobra

boomys10
04-29-13, 04:59 PM
mine are done and hopefully steck will be doing the actual dsteck tune on it this week. had a timing issue with his wife having a child and all. hoping tues or thurs this week, cant freaking wait!!

eatonup1
05-04-13, 03:15 PM
Gutted mine two years ago...WAAAY too much $$ for new GM Replacements, and easier than trying to cut and weld in aftermarket cats, due to them manifold placement. Added Magnaflow tru-flow x-pipe, and two Magnaflow mufflers. Ran rich for a couple weeks, then added a FULL Spectre Intake...seems good, and its been like that for 2 years! NO ISSUES!

boomys10
05-05-13, 12:01 PM
mine is done, just postd the new dyno vids. if I could figure out how to get the sheets from my phone to upload on here I would. have both before and after the dsteck tune. oddly enough, EXACT same numbers, but SO MUCH better looking graph.