: 78 Fleetwood Brougham..transmisson

buchholzkatie
04-19-13, 12:21 PM
Hello everyone, bare with me as this is my first post and I am not the best person to talk about cars. Yesterday my transmission died(basically I cannot move in any gear now) and I was just wondering what size tranny can go into my car? Thanks for any help you can give :)

jayoldschool
04-19-13, 12:24 PM
First, check the fluid level in your trans. If it is low, it will not work.

Your transmission is a BOP bolt pattern TH400.

buchholzkatie
04-19-13, 12:28 PM
We out fluid in it and it ran for a little bit and then completely stopped..thanks!!

cadillac kevin
04-19-13, 02:04 PM
We out fluid in it and it ran for a little bit and then completely stopped..thanks!!

Did you go by the fill line when the engine was running or not?
Also, is the fluid leaking out? (I'm guessing so if you had to add fluid).

Fleetwood472
04-19-13, 02:35 PM
Try changing the filter too. This is another common problem. People change the fluids over the years but never the filter. The filter usually plugs up and can cause the same issues you are having. These transmissions are usually pretty bulletproof. The only weakspot is the later TH400's use plastic apply pistons instead of aluminum like the old ones and they can break. I would pull the pan try a new filter and new fluid. It's a cheap option to try before replacing the transmission. If the transmission ends up being bad you are better off having your existing one rebuilt verses swapping it out for a rebuild because most of the time the replacements do not have the right shift calibrations in the valvbody, do not have the correct governor for full throttle shift points, and also don't have the right speedo gears so your speedometer will be off. I know there area lot of bad transmission shops out there but i've had really good luck with cottman transmission they're nationwide and will rebuild your existing trans usually at a very reasonable price compared to most.

The Ape Man
04-19-13, 08:05 PM
First, check the fluid level in your trans. If it is low, it will not work.

Your transmission is a BOP bolt pattern TH400.

Short tail. And Cadillacs have extra stuff. I forget what though.
Extra clutch pack or sumptin'.

csbuckn
04-19-13, 08:57 PM
You have a short tail TH400 in it. You can put other trannies in but it will require a different driveshaft and moving the tranny mount. The link gives you info about tranny lengths and mount locations.
http://www.maliburacing.com/auto_tranny_id.htm

deVille33
04-20-13, 11:08 AM
Where are you located? I wish people would add this info. If you were in my area, I could offer assistance. When these transmissions start to fail, they sometimes will respond once they reach operating temperatures. One of my trans will not react when cold. Once the fluid warms up the sticky valve / piston will allow the trans to operate. Reverse usually always activates, but to get first level, hold the brake and put the selector into reverse, hold for a minute, move selector to drive, hold for a minute, back to reverse, back to drive. Does the pump whine? Is there any indication that the clutch packs are engaging?