: Fresh Red Painted Calipers, Brembo decal, ceramic pads and new tire setup.

Moparman4444
04-19-13, 11:41 AM
Ok so painting calipers really don't make the car perform better but they make others looking at the car think they do. lol.
Last week I painted my calipers red with brush on G2 paint system. I added a Brembo decal when it was dry. The paint went on very nicely and self-leveled out to almost a perfect finish. I installed ceramic brake pads at the same time and cleaned the inside of the wheel, then coated them with a dust resisting wax and the girl is all ready for the summer.

You may also notice that I wrapped the stock wheel with 275x40x19" which are wider than the stock tire and taller by .7" . These high performance all-season tires were highly recommended by two different tech's at Discount tire. In my opinion they are just as sticky on the street as the PS2's, quieter, and about 15% more comfortable.

I also noticed that they take the edge off the potholes, expansion joints and rough Midwest roads. I like these much better than the stock PS2 for mid temp climate. They donít skip on the road in parking lots when cold and have better grip in cold weather. Don't flame me with comments about the difference in tires because I am just giving you the seat of my pants impressions w/o any imperial testing to compare the tires.

I just thought I would share my wheel and tire upgrades and let you know that 275x40x19 all around work out just fine with no computer issues or perceived negative effects.
I also am going with 345x 30x18 in the rear for summer tires as soon as I can find a chrome wheel to match the front ones.

MSOsr
04-19-13, 09:02 PM
Beautifully done!

Mike

201Vwagon
04-20-13, 09:02 AM
Really nice job for a brush on paint. Looks great.

I'mAllIn
04-20-13, 09:05 AM
Nice work. It looks great!

MSOsr
04-20-13, 04:22 PM
The nice thing about G2 paint is that it "settles" smoothly to remove brush strokes.

Mike

thebigjimsho
04-22-13, 04:21 PM
Yeah, calipers look awesome. It's something I wanted to do on my V. Not a fan of Falkens, though. And they look small on the back...

Moparman4444
04-23-13, 12:14 AM
bigjimsho, good eye. The tires in the back are still the stock PS2's. I am going with 345x30x19 in the rear. Just didn't get them mounted yet. The front are proving to be real decent tires for the street. We don't get a lot of tristys in the midwest.

tinman
04-23-13, 11:06 AM
bigjimsho, good eye. The tires in the back are still the stock PS2's. I am going with 345x30x19 in the rear. Just didn't get them mounted yet. The front are proving to be real decent tires for the street. We don't get a lot of tristys in the midwest.

Find a nice old road along a meandering river somewhere. I used to do that and had a great ride!

Tedboss1
04-23-13, 12:44 PM
I installed ceramic brake pads at the same time

Do you have part numbers and where you got the pads?
How do they perform compare to stock?

Moparman4444
04-23-13, 04:20 PM
I got the ceramic pads from Brakewarehouse Part Numbers, PST-16-1405 front $75.00 and PST-16-1053 rears $67.00. So far I like them. Brake dust in way down, braking is slightly better than stock pads on freshly cut rotors, no grinding or squeeks, and no fade on the street. All in all, I would give them two thumbs up.107103

the blur
04-28-13, 07:03 PM
Technically you can run them front and rear, and this would keep the diameter = on all 4.

Arca500
04-30-13, 01:08 PM
The red calipers look killer. I am wondering how the paint and the Brembo decal will hold up to the heat. Are you worried that they will fade, crack or flake off at all? Just wondering because I would like to do this to mine if it works. Otherwise ill drop the $$$ and get them powder coated. Please let us know if you get a chance. Thanks!!!

tinman
04-30-13, 01:18 PM
G3 paint indeed holds up well. It is made for this application. If you are putting on fresh rotors get the hat powdercoated prior to installation.

Moparman4444
04-30-13, 05:12 PM
I looked at powder coating as well and found out that the calipers would have to be completely dismantld , coated, then reassembled. lots of money for just a color change. It has been 3 weeks and the color, and decals seem to be holding up just fine. The red also seams to repel dirt better than the stock ones. Just my 2 cents worth. Over all I really like the job. Besides, if you didn't like it, then you could strip the caliers and start over with a quick trip to the sand blaster.

MSOsr
05-04-13, 01:43 PM
I had red G2 painted calipers on my 2005 V for 4 years and now have 2 years on my yellow G2 painted 2011 V coupe calipers. Even occasionally using a pressure washer to get brake dust off the barrels, none of my calipers' paint has chipped or otherwise deteriorated. No color fading either.

My .02

Mike