: This Is Different ... STS with 3800 Supercharged Motor

ted tcb
04-18-13, 10:45 PM
Well, this is a first that I've seen. I guess this guy felt the 3800SC motor was a better choice than studding a Northstar.

Interesting powertrain in a Seville.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n243/tedtcb/2003%20STS/T2eC16FHJIE9qSO8HlBRbd0H8GHQ48_20.jpg (http://s114.photobucket.com/user/tedtcb/media/2003%20STS/T2eC16FHJIE9qSO8HlBRbd0H8GHQ48_20.jpg.html)

Here's a link to the ad, it should be up for a week or so.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2000-Cadillac-Seville-Supercharged-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ475265281

Jesda
04-18-13, 10:55 PM
I wonder how the onboard electronics are handling the swap.

CadillacLuke24
04-19-13, 03:39 AM
:nono:

I bet that thing is a DOG.

Aron9000
04-19-13, 03:54 AM
:nono:

I bet that thing is a DOG.

You'd be suprised. There are many W-body guys running that powetrain into the 12's and 11 second quarter mile range.

greencadillacmatt
04-19-13, 03:57 AM
Especially if you go with an overdrive pulley swap on the snout of that supercharger... :lildevil:

I will say that the engine bay looks REALLY empty with the 3.8 in there, supercharged or not.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-19-13, 09:21 AM
Whoa, just goes to show how physically small the 3800 is compared to the gigantic Northstar. But it's funny though, with a good tune and the right gearing, a S/C 3800 will keep up with a Northstar. My GS did 0-60 in about 6.7 seconds, right up there with an L37 Northstar.

Jesda
04-19-13, 01:58 PM
W-body has a 300-400lb advantage though.

drewsdeville
04-19-13, 02:06 PM
I wonder why it happened - what he figures he gained or improved? It's not often that you see someone devote the resources to a swap that degrades the car. Probably would have been better off picking up a SSEI rather than fabricating that heap of junk.

Jesda
04-19-13, 02:37 PM
Maybe he had the engine and tranny laying around from a wrecked car? Just a hunch. *shrug*

orconn
04-19-13, 03:16 PM
I agree with those that feel that the car was "degraded." It is rare that a mass produced car (or low volume car for that matter) is produced where the combination of its' components and design produce a uniquely satisfying automobile. Cadillac has on occasion managed just such a feat. The 1939 Sixty Special, the 1976 Seville and the 4th and 5th generation Sevilles are examples of just such good luck!

However in the case of the 4th and 5th generation Sevilles their technical attributes in the form of the Northstar engines and their advanced suspension systems and stability systems all contributed to the high level of attractiveness these personal luxury brought to the buyer. To replace the North* V-8 with a 3.8 litre V-6 would degrade the whole package into a far less attractive vehicle.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-19-13, 05:00 PM
It would be a tough resell, but I'm just thinking the owner loved the car so much, had the headgaskets go and instead of dancing with the devil again, he swapped it for a much more reliable (if less thrilling) engine.

drewsdeville
04-19-13, 08:02 PM
Judging by the quality of the swap presented in the pictures, reliability is not what he was after - else he would have done a better job. That pig is going to be far less reliable than the car originally was. Sad part is, it probably took more effort to assemble that mess than it would have taken just to repair the factory setup. Performance, efficiency, reliability, and net worth have all been compromised as a result. No comprende.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-19-13, 08:10 PM
Perhaps he bought the STS, knowing the motor was junk and wanted to experiment around with a more modifiable engine.

ted tcb
04-19-13, 10:37 PM
For those that didn't click the link to his ad, here is what he describes:

"Testing the WatersI might be willing to part with my custom 2000 SLS completly Rust free car top and bottom the 4.6 blew a head gasket like normal. So the 4.6 was pulled out and a supercharged 3800 series II was put in with mods.. at same time the motor was mated to a 4T65E with 3.69 gears and 2800 stall convertor tranny built by redline transmisson..Car is daily driven.....make an offer"

He's asking $7500 for a $2k vehicle at best.
The few low res shots indicate a tired interior, and I bet the dashboard is lit up with warning lights.

orconn
04-19-13, 11:14 PM
He probably isn't old enough to know the effect of putting Chevy V-8's in Jaguar E-type's had on resale value!

creeker
04-19-13, 11:21 PM
Why did you climb the mountain(cause it was there), maybe he wanted to see if it could be done,not everything has to be logical or make sense.

cadillac kevin
04-20-13, 12:10 AM
He probably isn't old enough to know the effect of putting Chevy V-8's in Jaguar E-type's had on resale value!
people put them in E types? what's wrong with them?

orconn
04-20-13, 12:37 AM
^^^ they said the 3.8 liter dual overhead cam straight sixes weren't reliable. Truth of the matter was they just didn't know how to work on exotic "foreign" stuff and so when their clapped out fourth hand E-types gave them trouble they converted them to good old dependable Detroit iron. Of course the E-type did handle well with all the weight up front, not too mention botching up the monocoque tub to accommodate the new transmission. Many a great classic, other than Jags, met their demise at the hands of ignorant "customizers!"

Aron9000
04-21-13, 09:51 PM
^That's horrible they'd do that to an E-type.

Now yanking the very problematic v12 out of a 70's or 80's XJS or XJ sedan would be a definite improvement.

orconn
04-21-13, 11:17 PM
Yes the Jag V-12 was an abomination, but with the DOHC straight six the First generation XJ6 was a truly lovely car ..... reputed to be the "best car in the world" by many car mags in the early '70's. Having owned several XJs (My 1971 Series I being my favorite) I have to say that the XJ sedan was an even superior achievement to the E-type (of which the Series I, one of which I owned for twenty years, and only sold recently) was the best rendition. The first series of Jaguar cars always seem to be the best versions and each subsequent edition of the model seems to go down hill as they screw up the original design!

cadillac kevin
04-22-13, 12:26 AM
Yes the Jag V-12 was an abomination, but with the DOHC straight six the First generation XJ6 was a truly lovely car ..... reputed to be the "best car in the world" by many car mags in the early '70's. Having owned several XJs (My 1971 Series I being my favorite) I have to say that the XJ sedan was an even superior achievement to the E-type (of which the Series I, one of which I owned for twenty years, and only sold recently) was the best rendition. The first series of Jaguar cars always seem to be the best versions and each subsequent edition of the model seems to go down hill as they screw up the original design!

A friend of mine has an 86 xj6.....power is pathetic, turning radius is horrid (you have to drive it like a semi through a tight parking lot), and did I mention the rust (despite being undercoated and seemingly well taken care of). It is pleasing to drive though, and seems at home on windy roads.

orconn
04-22-13, 01:15 AM
A friend of mine has an 86 xj6.....power is pathetic, turning radius is horrid (you have to drive it like a semi through a tight parking lot), and did I mention the rust (despite being undercoated and seemingly well taken care of). It is pleasing to drive though, and seems at home on windy roads.

The power available in an XJ6 of the mid eighties, like so many cars of that period, and when compared to the power available in performance cars today was certainly not impressive. But when the series I XJ6 was introduced in 1968 and in subsequent years was at least comparable to other luxury cars of that day. It also should be remember that sports cars like the E-type and my Lamborghini 350 GT, both of which could do 0 to 60 mph in the mid 6.5 second were considered very fast at that time and that these 0 to 60 mph times were not equaled again until after the turn of the new century. (yes I know the Countach and some Ferraris were still able to turn in these kind of acceleration times, but few if any luxury sedans, or even GT cars, could the speeds and acceleration rates of the high performance cars of the sixties.