: "Tap" "Tap" Method of shifting

Chosenone
04-18-13, 01:50 PM
So I was looking around on the web and came across a post talking about something called the "tap" "tap" method with an automatic. This is what it said "You go into manual mode and get into the gear you want, when you hit the throttle you quickly tap the shifter to D, then back to sport mode.

It's so that the car will shift itself, but will start in the gear you want it to instead of having to wait for a downshift."

Can somebody explain this to me? What is the point and what are your accomplishing. I also read that if you are using your paddle shifters and want to stop using the paddle shifters and just drive in sport mode, all you have to do is hold the right paddle for a brief second and it disengages the paddles but leaves the transmission in sport mode. True or not true?

RaVeNous
04-18-13, 05:03 PM
Yes on the manual to auto mode - hold paddles in or shifter in position during a shift and it goes back to auto.

TaP TaP works...

Tap into sport mode, you are now auto and in sport mode. If you change gears manually it stays in manual mode. This allows one to put into ideal gear on a roll. The instance you hit it tap it back to drive and then back into sport position. The reason for this, first tap puts it into auto second tap back into sport auto. It's much quicker shifting than holding the shifting in position to put it back into auto.

----------

I also do this on a dead launch to hold gear longer in first then tap tap into sport auto for second gear shift on up. It seems faster than launching in first in auto.

Chosenone
04-18-13, 07:21 PM
Oh ok I get the tap tap function now. Thanks for explaining. On the disengaging back into sport from manual mode, I cant seem to get that to work. So you hold the lever in position or the paddle "in" and drive until the car would normally automatically shift and it then it will shift and you are back in sport auto mode? I swear I have held the paddle in and drove for all it does is wants to bounce the rev limiter because the car needs shifting.

ClarkkentCTSV
04-18-13, 09:42 PM
My 2009 won't go back into sport mode by just holding down the shifter. I think the programming was updated in the newer models. The "Tap" "Tap" method as its being called does work very well, but takes a little finesse to make it work smooth.

RaVeNous
04-18-13, 10:33 PM
If you hold it in in manual mode I believe it goes into auto sport mode; however, if your bouncing off the limiter it won't, it will shift all f'd up. The car spools rpm really fast. Traction or lack there of, exacerbates this. In first or second depending on rpms, you basically floor it and tap tap at the same time - no delay. This is the reason for the tap tap. Floor it in gear of choice and immediately tap to auto and tap back into auto sport. No delay not rev bouncing.