: Car will not shift in to gear

bjazz69
04-18-13, 08:44 AM
Got in to car this morning pushed in clutch but car will not go in to gear shut off car out in gear push in clutch start car lurches. With the car running the gears don't grind when trying to put in gear it just will not go in gear. Clutch fluid is full have never had any problems shifting in gears before, any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

Andringa
04-18-13, 09:24 AM
Sounds like your clutch is not disengaging at all. What year? How many miles? How do you drive it? Previous clutch problems? Is it the OEM clutch?

Can you get under it to look for a clutch fluid leak? I know you said the fluid was full, but it might give you some hints as to what is going on.

I don't really know what common failure modes are for hydraulic clutch systems are, but if you are pressing the pedal and the clutch isn't disengaging it could be.

-No fluid
-Air in the clutch line
-Fluid leak or broken line that hasn't drained the reservoir
-Bad master cylinder
-Bad slave cylinder

Goodluck

bjazz69
04-18-13, 09:53 AM
It is a 07 with about 85000 on the clock I do not know if it is the oem clutch or not I am not the original owner it is my dd I don't drive it real hard get on it once in a while have not showed and signs of clutch failure before now. Find it is that with it running I can't push in to gear can't even force gears to grind

Andringa
04-18-13, 10:07 AM
It is a 07 with about 85000 on the clock I do not know if it is the oem clutch or not I am not the original owner it is my dd I don't drive it real hard get on it once in a while have not showed and signs of clutch failure before now. Find it is that with it running I can't push in to gear can't even force gears to grind

I wouldn't try to force it into gear while it's running, you obviously have something wrong, forcing it into gear at this point is just going to do more damage.

If the only problem that you had was not being able to get it into gear, it could be a transmission problem.
But when you start the car in gear and it lurches the only cause of that would be that the clutch is not disengaging.
Call around and find a reputable shop that can diagnose and fix it for you.
My local Cadillac dealer has a $49 flat rate diagnoses charge. Get it towed to a shop and go from there, my dealer also has free rental cars so you can get to work.

darkman
04-18-13, 11:28 AM
The GM transmission trouble shooting chart begins with the magic words - bleed the hydraulic clutch system.

bjazz69
04-18-13, 11:44 AM
That is what my first step when I get home I was looking for the thread with a picture of the bleeder location do you have a link

Andringa
04-18-13, 12:57 PM
Don't have a link, but is way up on the driver side.

lollygagger8
04-18-13, 01:32 PM
Bleed that $hit.

PISNUOFF
04-18-13, 02:58 PM
^^^^^baleed dat!

bjazz69
04-18-13, 05:40 PM
Ok gentlemen I open the bleed and nothing comes out push the clutch nothing comes out pumped the clutch nothing comes out any ideas

bjazz69
04-18-13, 07:57 PM
OK just got finish with the bleed still not shifting

Andringa
04-18-13, 08:35 PM
Did you get any fluid to bleed out?
At some point were you able to push fluid out the bleeder by pushing the pedal?

darkman
04-18-13, 08:35 PM
See attached.

bjazz69
04-18-13, 08:39 PM
Yes got it to bleed got good clear fluid didn't see any bubbles

bjazz69
04-21-13, 12:24 PM
I am hooking a self pump vacuum on the bleeder tube but it is not drawing any fluid through it any ideas

bjazz69
04-21-13, 03:11 PM
It looks like it is bleeding at the threads of the bleeder tube I have a steady flow of fluid but still no shift. When bleeding the system how long do you leave the tube open when in the down position? I can hear the cylinder moving when I open the tube. should you leave it open or is it a quick open close?

PISNUOFF
04-21-13, 03:35 PM
Open, push pedal to floor, close, raise pedal. Close the bleeder during the push on the last one.

bjazz69
04-21-13, 03:39 PM
I have done this I an thinking maybe something else is wrong I am not getting a flow of fluid from port