: Seats not functioning or just don't have it?

flycaster
04-18-13, 07:49 AM
Can't get the front part of my driver's seat cushion to raise or lower. I note that on page 3-4 it has this function as "if available." Aside from this function not working, is there any other way to tell whether or not I have it? And if I don't have it, this is a big surprise as I never thought that one should check for it as it has always been available on my other cars, leading me to assume I had it. Also, the lumbar support doesn't move up or down. Damn, the VW CC has this and it is at least $10K less expensive. I know it ain't a Caddy, but it is a sleeper.

EDIT: And while I'm at it, when one opens the car, why don't the seats set according to the fob/key that is being used? I have to press and hold the seat button to get the proper setting after my wife drives the car. Furthermore, why does one have to hold the button until the seat moves into its full position? Every car I've had has had automated seating: 1. Press button once and seat fully positions and 2. Seat automatically moves into position of key holder. If I am right, then pretty cheap-asss stuff from Cadillac.

romanats
04-18-13, 09:33 AM
i came across the same issue we just dont have thast option its only a 6 way power should be 8 way they cut a lot of corners with this car and we are only finding this out now after purchase.
its a shame that a $38 k car does not have these simple things

Hoosier Daddy
04-18-13, 09:46 AM
Can't get the front part of my driver's seat cushion to raise or lower. I note that on page 3-4 it has this function as "if available." Aside from this function not working, is there any other way to tell whether or not I have it? And if I don't have it, this is a big surprise as I never thought that one should check for it as it has always been available on my other cars, leading me to assume I had it. Also, the lumbar support doesn't move up or down. Damn, the VW CC has this and it is at least $10K less expensive. I know it ain't a Caddy, but it is a sleeper.
The ATS brochure says: The base car has 6 way power seats. Your Luxury has 8 way power seats. The Performance and Premium have 10 way power seats. It doesn't specify what adjustments are missing with the base or Luxury but it sounds like its: raise/lower the front of the seats.

----------

i came across the same issue we just dont have thast option its only a 6 way power should be 8 way they cut a lot of corners with this car and we are only finding this out now after purchase.
its a shame that a $38 k car does not have these simple things
Yeah, you really have to make sure any car has what you want before you buy it because cars ain't cheap. Can't wait 'till my car gets here so I can find out what I forgot to check. LoL If its important you may be able to retrofit with junkyard or parts department parts.

rustybear3
04-18-13, 09:48 AM
It's called buying the least expensive base model which clearly states 6 way power seats on the web site. That's on you if you "assumed" or didn't bother to check what each model has (or doesn't have).

flycaster
04-18-13, 10:09 AM
The Features description in Edmunds for the ATS Luxury says that the car has 8-way power seats and lumbar support. My lumbar support only increases or decreases, it doesn't move up or down, it is 2-way adjustable. So I am wondering if the "8-way" description means the seats have 6-way adjustment and by adding the lumbar 2-way, you now have an 8-way adjustable seat? If this is so, then Cadillac sucks because of its very clever and misleading advertising. Yeah, I know I should have tested, but come on, give me a break. If I am wrong, then I take it all back.

EDIT: See my EDIT on original post.

gfxbt
04-18-13, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=Hoosier Daddy;3289015]The ATS brochure says: The base car has 6 way power seats. Your Luxury has 8 way power seats. The Performance and Premium have 10 way power seats. It doesn't specify what adjustments are missing with the base or Luxury but it sounds like its: raise/lower the front of the seats.[COLOR=Silver]

The base model has adjustment to raise and lower the driver's seat and the front passenger seat. It also has forward/backward and recline (obviously). Maybe those are the 6 adjustments? My guess is that 8-way gets you some lumbar control, and 10-way side bolsters. I've never really thought about the way seat controls are defined (e.g., is forward movement one way and backward movement one way, making forward/backward 2-way adjustment?).

73JPS
04-18-13, 10:24 AM
The Features description in Edmunds for the ATS Luxury says that the car has 8-way power seats and lumbar support. My lumbar support only increases or decreases, it doesn't move up or down, it is 2-way adjustable. So I am wondering if the "8-way" description means the seats have 6-way adjustment and by adding the lumbar 2-way, you now have an 8-way adjustable seat? If this is so, then Cadillac sucks because of its very clever and misleading advertising. Yeah, I know I should have tested, but come on, give me a break. If I am wrong, then I take it all back.

EDIT: See my EDIT on original post.

I think that you will find that almost all of the manufacturers define "'z'-way power seats" (where 'z' defines the number of adjustments) in pretty much the same fashion, so it's probably a bit unfair to vilify Cadillac for this. For starters, you can divide 'z' by 2 if you're looking to figure out how many parts of your seats will move, because they count each direction for the same function as a 'way'.

Hoosier Daddy
04-18-13, 10:33 AM
For starters, you can divide 'z' by 2 if you're looking to figure out how many parts of your seats will move, because they count each direction for the same function as a 'way'.
That always annoyed me. They should use "Western" counts.

jph
04-18-13, 12:32 PM
EDIT: And while I'm at it, when one opens the car, why don't the seats set according to the fob/key that is being used? I have to press and hold the seat button to get the proper setting after my wife drives the car.

there's a setting for that, by default it's disabled.
i don't recall the exact menu description, but it's there ;)

J.

flycaster
04-18-13, 01:36 PM
Good news, jph, if I can find out how to enable...

Hoosier Daddy
04-18-13, 03:14 PM
Can't get the front part of my driver's seat cushion to raise or lower. I note that on page 3-4 it has this function as "if available." Aside from this function not working, is there any other way to tell whether or not I have it?

The base model has adjustment to raise and lower the driver's seat and the front passenger seat. It also has forward/backward and recline (obviously). Maybe those are the 6 adjustments?
If that's the case gxftb, then flycaster (or any 6+ way owner) can probably accomplish the same as if it had a separate adjustment to raise/lower just the front of the seat. First raise the entire seat till the front is at the height you want it, then raise or lower the back separately and make other adjustments. And since Luxury Collection (and above) cars have seat memory for two drivers, the lack of seat front-only height adjustment may not be much of a hardship at all. I've notified suicide hotlines so they can talk ATS owners down. ;)

flycaster
04-18-13, 04:12 PM
there's a setting for that, by default it's disabled.
i don't recall the exact menu description, but it's there ;)

OK, it could be that I haven't accurately described what I'm after with the automatic seat recall. Let's say my wife drove the car last. So, when I get in I expect the seat to move to my setting when I open the door. Here's why. Manual's page 3-7, under Auto Memory Recall, "To activate the recall when On-Driver Door Open is selected in the vehicle personalization menu," which I have done, "...press the lock/unlock button on the outside driver door handle and open the driver door." So at this point shouldn't the seat set to my setting? Well, nothing happens! I also tried pressing unlock on the RKE, with no resultant movement of the seat. Are the seats supposed to move or is it that one can just press/release (ie, not hold) the door's 1 or 2?

Been screwing around so much with this car that I have to put it on trickle charge for fear of draining the battery - No LOL!

pissedoffwookiee
04-18-13, 04:17 PM
As far as the seat memory is concerned, starting with the SRX Cadillac moved to a 'dead mans switch' for the memory function, due to complaints by people of getting crushed if they inadvertently pressed the wrong button or grabbed the wrong key. Being a tall person myself, everyone's settings do that to me so I appreciate the change.

flycaster
04-18-13, 04:25 PM
PO, if you are right, then Caddy is a real ***** making the change without allowing for one to choose how they want their seats functioning. If folks are so feeble that they can't control how their seats work, they shouldn't be driving.

Hoosier Daddy
04-18-13, 04:33 PM
As far as the seat memory is concerned, starting with the SRX Cadillac moved to a 'dead mans switch' for the memory function, due to complaints by people of getting crushed if they inadvertently pressed the wrong button or grabbed the wrong key.
Ahhh yes, I remember the Darnell case well. Still, even McDonalds didn't switch to luke warm coffee after Mrs. Liebeck.

pissedoffwookiee
04-18-13, 05:36 PM
Hoosier, that is partially true, the court decided to split the fault in Mrs. Liebeck's case, I don't remember the percentages but it was like 70%/30% in her favor, due to internal McDonald's memos they found that showed they deliberately served coffee well above FDA standards for temperature. They did that as a customer satisfaction measure so commuters coffee would be hot when they arrived at work. I'm sure they lowered it to within regulations.

My thinking on this seat memory thing, is that everything is a compromise in vehicle design, and my positive takeaway is that I'm glad caddy is listening, right or wrong, they like us and are listening

jph
04-18-13, 06:12 PM
OK, it could be that I haven't accurately described what I'm after with the automatic seat recall. Let's say my wife drove the car last. So, when I get in I expect the seat to move to my setting when I open the door. Here's why. Manual's page 3-7, under Auto Memory Recall, "To activate the recall when On-Driver Door Open is selected in the vehicle personalization menu," which I have done, "...press the lock/unlock button on the outside driver door handle and open the driver door." So at this point shouldn't the seat set to my setting? Well, nothing happens! I also tried pressing unlock on the RKE, with no resultant movement of the seat. Are the seats supposed to move or is it that one can just press/release (ie, not hold) the door's 1 or 2?

Been screwing around so much with this car that I have to put it on trickle charge for fear of draining the battery - No LOL!

see page: 5-44 Instruments and Controls

make sure that the auto memory recall option is turned on.
that's all that i needed to do.

J.

----------

As far as the seat memory is concerned, starting with the SRX Cadillac moved to a 'dead mans switch' for the memory function, due to complaints by people of getting crushed if they inadvertently pressed the wrong button or grabbed the wrong key. Being a tall person myself, everyone's settings do that to me so I appreciate the change.

i almost crushed my son's legs the first time this feature was enabled.
strapped him into his carseat, opened the door, and the sear put itself in the lowest, and most rearward position possible (possibly factory setting, before i had set one myself.)
my kid started screaming that the car was crushing his legs.

now every once in a while i'll move my seat back a bit while driving to mess with him
it still freaks him out, he'll start yelling: it's doing it again! it's going to crush me!

J.

Jesda
04-18-13, 06:18 PM
1. Press button once and seat fully positions and 2. Seat automatically moves into position of key holder. If I am right, then pretty cheap-asss stuff from Cadillac.

That would annoy the hell out of me if I spent that much on a car.

Hoosier Daddy
04-18-13, 07:49 PM
i almost crushed my son's legs the first time this feature was enabled.
strapped him into his carseat, opened the door, and the sear put itself in the lowest, and most rearward position possible (possibly factory setting, before i had set one myself.)
my kid started screaming that the car was crushing his legs.

now every once in a while i'll move my seat back a bit while driving to mess with him
it still freaks him out, he'll start yelling: it's doing it again! it's going to crush me!
FYI CPS just called to see if I knew your (and Cadillac's) address. ;)

Hoosier Daddy
04-18-13, 08:53 PM

I told Cadillac not to hire that engineer no matter how good a reference Carpenter gave him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn4oGeTpVOI#t=234s

flycaster
04-19-13, 07:56 AM
...see page: 5-44 Instruments and Controls

make sure that the auto memory recall option is turned on.
that's all that i needed to do.

Yeah, did that but seat still doesn't move automatically into the desired position.

Bullsweet
04-19-13, 10:03 AM
I've got to read the manual for this also. My car automatically adjusted the seat before I got the cue update. Now I've been playing with settings trying to get it back. I'll have to keep an eye on the forum just incase you guys figure it out before me.

flycaster
04-19-13, 10:47 AM
Just was down to see my SA to sort out this mess. Here's the way it goes:

1. When setting any Vehicle Personalization>Comfort and Convenience>Auto Memory Recall and, the settings will apply to ONLY the owner of the Remote that is in the car at that time. So, obviously, but not expressly stated in the manual, if two folks are driving the car, make settings with each Remote separately.

2. The seats do move back and forth with a SINGLE touch of Seat Button 1/2 WHEN the car is ON; otherwise, hold the button until into desired position.

3. The front part of the seat does go up/down, but the rear part of the seat doesn't. Not too sure about this, but as I had my seat raised to the highest position, the front up/down wasn't made to function in that position.

4. If two folks are driving the car, the best way to set up OVERALL (getting in, seated, getting out) seat positioning is:
a. Set your seat positions (1 or 2, and Exit) with ONLY your Remote in car
b. Set Easy Exit Options to ON with YOUR Remote in car
c. Set Auto Memory Recall (with YOUR Remote) to "On-At Ignition On." Why ignition on rather than when first opening the door? With having
already set your auto seat and auto exit positions, here's how it works:

When you first get into the car, the seat will be in exit position (seat has moved to Exit position when your earlier got out of the car),
allowing for easy entry. If one has the seat set to move into driving position when door is first opened, for shorter folks who like to be
nearer the dash, their seat setting usually is close to the steering wheel and it could be a tight fit when first getting in. Having seat set to
Exit on entry allows for more comfortable getting in.

Hoosier Daddy
04-19-13, 11:18 AM
Thanks a LOT flycaster! That will save me and many others who read it a lot of time and frustration.

torkibe
04-19-13, 07:43 PM
Most of this was not working for me either. Then I realized that I had both remotes in my pocket when the dealer walked me through all the settings. I reset everything to factory and then set everything to my liking and it all seems to be working now.