DennySTSV
04-17-13, 11:28 PM
Why is there a delay when i press my high beams? Ive always wondered

bigburban
04-18-13, 12:21 AM
What delay?

DennySTSV
04-18-13, 01:50 AM
Ill press the button to flash them and theres a split second delay before they come on and then when i let go they stay on for another split second and then close

1madstsv
04-18-13, 09:21 AM
My 06 did that also don't no why. But my 08 has no delay.

TimmyC
04-18-13, 01:56 PM
Processing time. The stalk just sends a signal to turn on the brights. There is no direct connection. I'd guess it takes that time for the computer to carry out the command.

Guy.Seminerio
04-18-13, 06:01 PM
My 09 does that too. It doesn't help that they're halogens. Halogens don't have that sharp "cutting" on and off like HID and LEDs do. They more "glow" on and "dim" off. But even with that in mind, there is clearly a little additional delay. I notice it especially when my automatic highbeams are turning off due to oncoming traffic, but doing it a half second later than I believe they should.

wake
04-19-13, 08:56 PM
Same with my 07. It's annoying.

I drive a lot of rural roads and find myself hitting the high beam switch a second time as they don't dim immediately for oncoming traffic.

It's clearly a delay as I notice the high beam indicator in the IP also stays lit until the high beams switch off.

1madstsv
04-19-13, 11:36 PM
It's a bad set up my 98 750 BMW had the same light set up as the v hid low and halogen high and there was no delay its sad really for Cadillac.

Guy.Seminerio
04-20-13, 05:29 PM
It's almost as if it's done intentionally for some reason. I had a 97 altima that didn't have this problem. I don't think GM was unable to engineer the highbeams to turn on and off without a delay for Cadillacs. They must have a reason for it that we're not aware of. Also that we're not too fond of.

wake
04-21-13, 02:51 PM
It's almost as if it's done intentionally for some reason. I had a 97 altima that didn't have this problem. I don't think GM was unable to engineer the highbeams to turn on and off without a delay for Cadillacs. They must have a reason for it that we're not aware of. Also that we're not too fond of.

I think on some of the older vehicles that don't have the high and low beams on at the same time the delay was necessary to get the low beam HID putting out light. On our vehicles though it isn't an issue as the low stays on when the highs are on. It's annoying and I don't understand it. A couple of times I've been caught by surprise by an oncoming motorist and actually switched highs off and back on again because I thought it didn't register the first time.

CMNTMXR57
04-22-13, 01:34 AM
Isn't the other way around you mean. When you turn OFF the high beams, there is the delay? On our cars (as mentioned), the low beam HID's stay on when your high beams are on. This is a departure from normal GM vehicles with halogen lights where the low beams go off when the highs are on. Since HID bulbs take a few seconds to warm up before having a proper level of lumen output, that delay time (even though ours are still on), is built into the system ((which communicates through the PCM and BCM), as a safety net to ensure you don't drive with no lighting at all.

Guy.Seminerio
04-22-13, 10:08 PM
Yes the delay when shutting off is the issue. That's what blinds oncoming motorists. Your explanation of the HIDs having to warm up makes a lot of sense. Too bad (as you do note) our low beams don't turn off to begin with, rendering this delay an unnecessary annoyance, especially to oncoming drivers. That's why I just turn them off manually.

Ludacrisvp
04-27-13, 07:52 PM
The delay is what I believe to be a fade out cycle which is used by the intellibeam system.
This also prevents you from rapidly flashing the high beams, which will help prolong the life of that halogen lamp.

My 08 has a delay. Neither of my parent's SRX's or my older (02) deville have a delay, but they also cannot have intellibeam.
I would wonder if the cars without it have no delay and the cars that do have the delay.

DennySTSV
04-30-13, 02:56 PM
Alright thanks guys