: power steering fluid flush

icaddy
04-17-13, 10:53 PM
This weekend I am gonna try this steering fluid flush method on my escalade and CTS. I also ordered an inline filter to be installed the same time. I will let you guys know how I make out.

Turn OFF the engine.
Raise the front end of the vehicle off the ground until the tires and wheels turn freely. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
Place a large container under the fluid return hose in order to collect the draining fluid.
Remove the fluid return hose at the power steering pump reservoir inlet connection.
Plug the reservoir return hose inlet connection on the power steering pump.
Important: This step may require 4 L (4 qt) of power steering fluid until the draining fluid appears clear.

With the key on engine off, turn the steering wheel fully to the left and to the right while an assistant maintains the minimum fluid level in the reservoir using new approved power steering fluid. Continue until the fluid from the return hose runs clear.
Remove the plug from the pump reservoir inlet connection and install the fluid return hose to the pump reservoir.
Important: Do NOT run the engine without the power steering fluid at a minimum system level.

Bleed the power steering system. Refer to Power Steering System Bleeding.
Inspect the power steering fluid for the following indications of contamination:
Milky fluid - water
Brown fluid - burnt
Plastic debris or dirt chunks

If the fluid is contaminated, repeat steps 2-9.
Lower the vehicle and check the Power Steering system for leaks.

the cadillac man
04-17-13, 11:43 PM
This weekend I am gonna try this steering fluid flush method on my escalade and CTS. I also ordered an inline filter to be installed the same time. I will let you guys know how I make out.

Turn OFF the engine.
Raise the front end of the vehicle off the ground until the tires and wheels turn freely. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
Place a large container under the fluid return hose in order to collect the draining fluid.
Remove the fluid return hose at the power steering pump reservoir inlet connection.
Plug the reservoir return hose inlet connection on the power steering pump.
Important: This step may require 4 L (4 qt) of power steering fluid until the draining fluid appears clear.

With the key on engine off, turn the steering wheel fully to the left and to the right while an assistant maintains the minimum fluid level in the reservoir using new approved power steering fluid. Continue until the fluid from the return hose runs clear.
Remove the plug from the pump reservoir inlet connection and install the fluid return hose to the pump reservoir.
Important: Do NOT run the engine without the power steering fluid at a minimum system level.

Bleed the power steering system. Refer to Power Steering System Bleeding.
Inspect the power steering fluid for the following indications of contamination:
• Milky fluid - water
• Brown fluid - burnt
• Plastic debris or dirt chunks

If the fluid is contaminated, repeat steps 2-9.
Lower the vehicle and check the Power Steering system for leaks.

Nice write up very informative

this should be a sticky in the FAQ section(this is to the powers that be)

YoshiMan
04-18-13, 03:42 AM
Just one question, why not run the engine for 4 seconds once the return hose is routed into the catch container, top off, and repeat? I am not disagreeing, with your method, but does just turning the wheels left and right actually circulate fluid from the resevior with the engine off?

icaddy
04-20-13, 08:57 PM
hi YoshiMan, you kind of hit the right point. Today I tried this method, but I had to make some modifictions. Below are the details.

Just one question, why not run the engine for 4 seconds once the return hose is routed into the catch container, top off, and repeat? I am not disagreeing, with your method, but does just turning the wheels left and right actually circulate fluid from the resevior with the engine off?

----------

Below is the method for flushing power steering fluid and installing a inline psf filter.

Materials:

1. 3/8" ID clear tube

2. 3/8" vacuum cap (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_3-8-inch-rubber-black-vacuum-cap-dorman--autograde_5019818-p?searchTerm=vacuum+cap)

3. 3/8" tube fitting

4. Megna power steering fluid filter

5. Dexon III high mileage transmission fluid

icaddy
04-20-13, 08:59 PM
First you need to find the psf return hose. In the picture the hose pointed by red arrow is the return hose, and yellow arrow is the direction of fluid flow.

icaddy
04-20-13, 09:02 PM
Then remove the return hose from the reservior, and put the vaccum cap on the return hose inlet to the reservior. Connect the clear tube with return hose using the tube fitting. Meanwhile place another end of the clear tube to a fluid collecting basket.

icaddy
04-20-13, 09:10 PM
How to pump the fluid out of the system... The method above does not work, unfortunately, because the Escalade has a hydroboost system. So you dont need to jack up the car, but you need get an assistant to start the engine, then keep pressing brake padel, and the fluid will be pumped out. You need to watch the fluid level and keep adding new fluid until all old fluid is flushed out.

----------

Now it's time to install a inline filter. Cut the return hose at the position where you want to install the filter. The total length of the hoses may be too long now so you may wan to cut a little out. Install the half hose back to the reservior first. Install the inline filter in the middle and use the clamp coming with the filter to tight up the filter.

Start you engine, presse the brake few times, then check fluid level. Add more if you need. Then done~~~~~~

here is the picture.