: car experts, talk me out of a BMW M5

Rolex
04-17-13, 09:16 PM
I've been considering a performance sedan lately. I'd like to have something to cruise in style with some serious power too. Considering the M5 for my next vehicle. Am I nuts?

I own a 95' Jeep Wrangler and a 4x4 truck, neither of which are very pleasant to take long trips in. You guys here are true car guys and always seem to be very wise about this stuff. Talk me into it or out of it.

FWIW I'm looking at a preowned car, maybe certified preowned.

ben.gators
04-17-13, 09:26 PM
The main question is, why do you want us to talk you out of BMW M5? Do you yourself think that it is not a good decision? OR you truly love it and want to own it, but have some doubts? If you really like the car, and can afford it, why not?!

Kingoftypos
04-17-13, 09:36 PM
Ha ha, I find this very interesting. I've seen you about in the forums, obviously cus we've been here for so long. But I never noticed that you don't have a Cadillac. With over 11k post I would of think you would.

KOT

Rolex
04-17-13, 09:51 PM
I've owned an Escalade and an SRX. The Escalade I loved, and SRX was a disappointment. I just love this forum (always have) and still do a lot of lurking and reading, more than anything else.

I routinely tell people that sell their Cadis that they don't have to leave our forum. =)

I know a lot of you guys are REAL, serious, car guys and can tell me the pros and cons of these M5 cars. I value the opinions here more than any other online source for info on cars.

Ranger
04-17-13, 10:00 PM
If you buy a BMW you will be shunned, de-Moded and banished.

There, how's that? Did I talk you out of it?

vincentm
04-17-13, 10:30 PM
It's not a Cadillac

/thread

*blows smoke off his finger pistol amd walks off into the sunset*

Jesda
04-17-13, 10:44 PM
M5 is great. STS-V is almost as good but much more appealing for the money.

ryannel2003
04-17-13, 10:56 PM
Are you looking at the E60 M5 or E39 M5? Those V10's sound absolutely amazing but from what I have read are absolute maintenance nightmares and have high ownership costs. But then again that is the price you pay to drive a performance luxury car.

Rolex
04-17-13, 11:01 PM
Are you looking at the E60 M5 or E39 M5? Those V10's sound absolutely amazing but from what I have read are absolute maintenance nightmares and have high ownership costs. But then again that is the price you pay to drive a performance luxury car.

I'm looking at the M5 sedan. What are the common maintenance nightmares?

I don't want to join a BMW forum to get this kind of info. :)

orconn
04-17-13, 11:11 PM
The first thing I would look into if I were considering an M5 of any year is what kind of service is available in the area where I live. With a car of that high performance having really knowledgeable and competent service personnel would be a must for the full and ongoing enjoyment of the car.

Not knowing Arkansas I would be rather cautious about owning and depending on a car that requires very specialized care.

ryannel2003
04-17-13, 11:33 PM
I'm looking at the M5 sedan. What are the common maintenance nightmares?

I don't want to join a BMW forum to get this kind of info. :)

From what I've read SMG issues and VANOS issues. Of course there are typical iDrive, electrical, etc. type issues on any BMW really. I think the overall maintenance on the V10's is very, very expensive.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/169760-e60-m5-plagued-problems.html

cadillac kevin
04-18-13, 12:09 AM
don't buy a BMW....there is a 98% chance it will make you a douchenozzle

CadillacLuke24
04-18-13, 12:22 AM
CTS-V. Nuff said.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-18-13, 10:30 AM
I'd just skip the V-10 M5 all together and go for the older, E39 model with the V-8. Or, just skip them both and get a CTS-V or perhaps a Pontiac G8 GT. Easier service, much lower cost of ownership and it would still be blazingly quick.

concorso
04-18-13, 03:50 PM
Which M5 are you looking at? Im assuming E60 or F10, since you mention CPO? Have you considered an AMG Mercedes and the CTS-V? All of these cars are stylish, somewhat rare, and offer serious power. What about an Infiniti M45? They are not as powerful, but still stylish, and much more rare.

Josh2010
04-18-13, 03:59 PM

Buy a V nuff said

ryannel2003
04-18-13, 08:12 PM
Buy a V nuff said

Haha you little bastard.

Anyway I don't remember the OP stating why he did or didn't want a V. I wouldn't buy an M5 over a V2 either but maybe he has reasons. Not a fan of the V1 so I would buy any M5 over that. F10 M5 vs. V2? Well the F10 has a beautiful interior so I'd probably buy that.

Kad4Life
04-18-13, 08:45 PM
I quit Beemer in '72 .
Had a 1970 2002, an expensive POS .
Sold a '64 356C coupe to buy it .

Someone shoot me in the head ....after you kick me .
Life is a learning experience .

ryannel2003
04-18-13, 09:09 PM
My BMW hasn't been any less reliable than my old STS so I'm not going to start with the comparison there. Any luxury car is going to cost money to keep on the road.

bigburban
04-18-13, 09:43 PM
don't buy a BMW....there is a 98% chance it will make you a douchenozzle

Heh heh heh

Says everyone who doesn't have one.

Jesda
04-18-13, 09:59 PM
Just get the M5, beat on it for a year, and let it go to someone else once its out of your system. You're a serial trader like the rest of us so get a warranty and have fun.

cadillac kevin
04-18-13, 10:32 PM
Heh heh heh

Says everyone who doesn't have one.

At least around here, most BMW drivers have really bad road manners-especially the M series (and moreso the wannabe M series) owners. FWD pontiac owners are far worse drivers than BMW drivers though.

drewsdeville
04-18-13, 10:35 PM
Nothing beats WRX/EVO owners, followed by late model GTO owners.

orconn
04-18-13, 10:46 PM
^^^ Not around here, I have even seen WRX/EVO drivers (I doubt that they own those cars, but are in debt up to their eye balls!) stop for little old ladies in crosswalks. I can't say the same for BMW drivers, but I guess it is forgivable when BMW drivers are rude and inconsiderate ..... after all we know that they have big things on their minds!

Now pickup truck drivers (of all ages) there is trouble on four wheels!

ryannel2003
04-18-13, 10:49 PM
I think all drivers of all cars suck.

cadillac kevin
04-18-13, 11:06 PM
Nothing beats WRX/EVO owners, followed by late model GTO owners.

4.6/ 5.slow mustang owners are up there... As are 3rd gen f body owners....*******s are always trying to race their slow ass cars because they think they're fast. Once some guy in an iroc tried to race the equinox (why I have no idea....I guess he thought a mini SUV would be an easy target for his "hot rod")....he got stomped really bad....guess loud mufflers don't make your pokey 5.0 go any faster.

MrHolland
04-18-13, 11:12 PM
LOL, even a SuperMod isn't immune from the "occasional" wandering thread. Hehehehehehe

---That's it, I'm locking it....

I wish I had something to add Rolex, but I have absolutely no experience with Bimmers. Good luck.

Hoosier Daddy
04-18-13, 11:46 PM
---that's it, i'm locking it....
iatl

Aron9000
04-19-13, 02:11 AM
Get an E60 M5 with the 5.0 V10. Revs past 8000rpm and has an absolutely maniacal sound/feel to it. With the right exhaust you can pretend you're going down the main straightaway at Monaco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtJVbJEHZg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRYYe0kLCto

I'm not a huge fan of the E60 5 series(don't care for the styling or overly complex electronics on it), but I seriously would fork over cash for an M5(or M6 coupe), just for that hellacious engine under the hood. Its also kind of a reminder of when BMW would actually build a zany car. All their products now(new M5 included) are too polished, isolated, and the new 5 series doesen't handle worth a damn(M5 included). I mean the new M5 has the speakers play synthetic notes of the engine to the occupants according to the revs, now how freaking lame is that . . .

ryannel2003
04-19-13, 02:20 AM
Considering they used the 7 Series platform which is from the Rolls Royce Ghost... yeah there wasn't a way they could defy gravity with the amount of weight it carries around. But they are beautiful cars though.

MrHolland
04-19-13, 07:13 AM
The video is the best reason I've heard so far not to buy one!! JMHO....

Rolex
04-19-13, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the advice fellas. The typical stereotypes made me laugh...a little. The pickup truck one made me :angry: :)

Koooop
04-21-13, 10:09 AM
Just get the M5, beat on it for a year, and let it go to someone else once its out of your system. You're a serial trader like the rest of us so get a warranty and have fun.

Warranty is a must.

Get one with a warranty, an M car is something a car guy must own at least once.