: Anyone upgraded the sound system in their V?

mrkool
04-17-13, 09:52 PM
So to change things a bit i drove my 2006 BMW 330i today which has the Logic 7 sound system and it sounded so much better. Has any one upgraded the speakers in the V to see if the sound gets any better?

hulksdaddy
04-17-13, 10:34 PM
I'd have to upgrade my ears first.

pat2t2f
04-18-13, 07:47 AM
I Would think the speakers are matched to the stereo so that one change alone won't help. I would also think you can't change the sound system because its intertwined with the nav system.

Random84
04-18-13, 08:46 AM
You can upgrade speakers regardless of head unit and NAV integration, you just can't go crazy with them (ie keeping roughtly the same specs on the new speakers).

OEM speakers are not exactly known for fidelity in most cars, so IMHO upgrading to aftermarkets can give you a little more definition. But I'll leave it up to the audiophiles to chime in for details.

Jinx
04-18-13, 11:13 AM
*watches with interest*

I have a feeling I'm going to need a new amp and speakers in the V wagon.

mrkool
04-18-13, 09:07 PM
All i am saying is the factory sound system in my 2006 BMW sounds better than my 2012 CTS-V. I have heard the sound system in the BMW M5 ( i know it is 110K car) but the B&O sound system in that thing is amazing. I don't want to change much i just want a little more sharpness and not too much boom :)

JKG
04-18-13, 10:01 PM
I tried to work upgrading the Bose system in my 08 corvette. upgrading the speakers was a waste of time and money because the factory radio and amp sent only certain frequencies to various speakers. anyway, the bottom line is, that customizing a GM Bose system might be a lot harder than necessary. I dont have a V yet (waiting) so cant chime in but listening with interest.
The "deluxe" Bose soundsystem in my corvette is probably the worst sound system in any car I have ever owned. But since it is a 500hp corvette with a V8 that can go to 7000rpm, I have managed to overlook this shortcoming.

Jinx
04-18-13, 10:18 PM
I am hopeful that the CTS-V system is less stupid than the needlessly-proprietary C6 Corvette system.

Random84
04-18-13, 10:37 PM
out of three corvettes, all have had the Bose system and I found it to be... acceptable in every situation.

Of course, one of those Corvettes was rocking 1984 throttle-body injected crossfire technology AND individual amps for every speaker... I had the targa top off most of the time with a full exhaust, and I think analog Huey Lewis and the News recordings don't need a dedicated woofer... But I was able to reuse the speaker wires so that made the swap easy. :D

So yeah, it was acceptable.

fastpharmd
04-18-13, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure about on the V's, but in the past I know that the Bose automotive amps will only work within very specific speaker impedences (I think I remember the systems I was messing with had all 2 ohm speakers). The only way we could get a good system into the car was to replace EVERYTHING, including head unit, amps, wires, speakers. With the multi-speaker setup in the 09+ V's, I would not trust changing a couple speakers to net much more sound quality. Try playing with the settings first to see if you can get your ears to like it, if not, be prepared to take a substantial financial plunge into that project.

RaVeNous
04-19-13, 09:08 AM
It's going to be expensive. Unless your willing to throw some major cash as a complete gut and new system, you're not going to have many options. I'm sure there are ways to replace all the amps, speakers and sub while keeping the stock head unit, it just might take some adapters, and some custom electronics to work right - I'm no expert. Also, I think it's funny when trying to get all "audiophile" with a car stereo. With road noise, wind noise, and the low fidelity output of MP3 files and radio that most people use, a $5000 stereo is a waste.

You could first play with the settings. The factory has some sound fields that change it considerably - center, driver, normal, rear - and with each you have the balance and EQ controls.

If this isn't enough, you could buy a 7 or more band EQ to tailor the sound. This could go back on the main amp and offer some adjustment. I'm not an expert do it yourself person, I've just looked into it. You might be able to install a level control on the sub output depending on how the head unit is set up, or if there is a way to add it to the amp. There really isn't a good mounting spot in the cabin to put this, but an eq would make a lot of difference even just set up in the back with the amp.

The V Bose system is pretty good in my opinion. It has very powerful and crisp base for a factory stereo. That's not desirable to many people. It tends to be a little muddy without some eq tweaking - my ears like the mids turned down. I find the source changes what sounds good a lot too. What is better from one car or another is really subjective. If you hate the Bose sort of hip hop bass oriented sounds, you're in for some headache, but I'd mess with the settings for a while. Sometimes cutting the entire eq down with a higher volume will help as well.

The problem is most factory stereos are designed to sound good at low volume, not cranked up, and definitely not to bleed good sound into spaces outside the car. Aftermarket setups generally sound better at higher volumes but are more crisp and "true" at higher volumes.

One final option if you use iPhone, iPods or other devices. There are eqs in the iPhone/iPod. There are also Eq like devices that go between the iPhone/iPod and the aux connection that can offer settings. I think JBL might make one. That might be worth a shot. I wish apple would stop being idiotic and offer a native app or settings with a REAL multi-band eq - it's freaking 2013.

mcharb007
04-19-13, 12:36 PM
I came from a car with a $5000+ high fidelity stereo system that I installed and now have a V I can definitely report that the Bose system is horrible. If you think that the Bose is anything but horrible then you haven't owned a properly set up system. Putting an EQ in the loop is a good idea but in my opinion is putting a bandaid on a broken leg. The problem is the shitty signal that gets sent to shitty speakers. Upgrading the speakers will help a little, I seem to remember someone using similar size and spec Boston acustics and have good success, but you're still feeding them a crap signal. Simplest route would be to replace front doors and dash run those off a multichannel amp. Unhook all the speakers that are behind driver and passenger. Run a JL clean sweep or something of the same type to clean up the factory signal before it enters the new amp. If that's not enough bass for you then add a sub into the trunk and size according to the type and amount of bass you want.

I'm a big believer in only using speakers that are in front of the driver and passenger, this is how you listen at a concert as the band does not play behind you. This allows you to take the money that you would have spent on all the other speakers and put that into the fronts to get a really good set.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Jinx
04-19-13, 03:25 PM
Is there anywhere else that CTS owners who've actually done audio upgrades to the CTS hang out? So far it sounds like nobody here has actually taken the Nestea plunge -- no offense to anyone here, and maybe that's a good sign -- especially news there are settings in there that can actually make a difference. But I'm skeptical that the stock setup will be able to keep me out of trouble. I've been in trouble before...

Xaqtly
04-19-13, 03:37 PM
No, the V system is fine. It's not amazing, but it's fine. The word "horrible" should be reserved for things like this:

http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/92/48/63486248233124/0/hack-your-cars-cassette-deck-into-wireless-bluetooth-music-player.w654.jpg

Exaggeration isn't helping anybody, and being a mega audiophile skews your scale. What's important to remember is that a car is not an audiophile demo room. It's a car. Everything you hear is polluted by engine noise, wind noise, tire noise, outside noise. Most people are not crazy enough to try to set it up like it's an isolation booth, because it's a car. The stock Bose system is pretty loud, it's pretty clear and it sounds pretty good. I've heard much, much MUCH worse stock systems in other cars, so let's keep it real shall we?

The suggestion for playing with your device's EQ settings is a good one too, i.e. iPhone or whatever you're using.

RaVeNous
04-19-13, 08:52 PM
I came from a car with a $5000+ high fidelity stereo system that I installed and now have a V I can definitely report that the Bose system is horrible. If you think that the Bose is anything but horrible then you haven't owned a properly set up system. Putting an EQ in the loop is a good idea but in my opinion is putting a bandaid on a broken leg. The problem is the shitty signal that gets sent to shitty speakers. Upgrading the speakers will help a little, I seem to remember someone using similar size and spec Boston acustics and have good success, but you're still feeding them a crap signal. Simplest route would be to replace front doors and dash run those off a multichannel amp. Unhook all the speakers that are behind driver and passenger. Run a JL clean sweep or something of the same type to clean up the factory signal before it enters the new amp. If that's not enough bass for you then add a sub into the trunk and size according to the type and amount of bass you want.

I'm a big believer in only using speakers that are in front of the driver and passenger, this is how you listen at a concert as the band does not play behind you. This allows you to take the money that you would have spent on all the other speakers and put that into the fronts to get a really good set.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Nice first post. You must work for Best Buy rofl

hulksdaddy
04-19-13, 10:27 PM
Stock system is fine, ya pretentious bastards. :thehand:

Moparman4444
04-19-13, 11:01 PM
I agree that the stock system is marginal at best. I would have expected more from GM fot their top of the live vehicles like the V.

When you compare the cost of the factory system to one which will give the type of sould these cars deserve, I'm sure the differance would be marginal in comparision to the $72,000.00 price tag of the whole car.

mcharb007
04-19-13, 11:09 PM
Y

Didn't know I had to have a high post count to respond to a topic that I have qualified knowledge about. I was jusy trying to add knowledge to the community but I guess that's not welcome either. No I don't work for best buy, if you must know I am a firefighter and a paramedic but I guess that's not good enough either. Don't worry I won't post on your board anymore. Thanks for the welcome.

hulksdaddy
04-19-13, 11:21 PM
The internet requires thick skin bud. And that's just Ravie's way of saying he thinks you're cute. :sneaky:

Jinx
04-19-13, 11:48 PM
mcharb007, have you upgraded your V yet?

mcharb007
04-19-13, 11:54 PM
mcharb007, have you upgraded your V yet?

Haven't upgraded the V yet. I'm upgrading power and wheels first. Then I'll decide on what equipment and build I want for the V after that's all done.

I've upgraded a lot of other cars and will say that I am excited about the V due to the good sound deadening from the factory compared to other vehicles. Should make for a great sound experience with minimum difficulty compared to standard builds where sound deadening is top priority.

Moparman4444
04-20-13, 01:19 AM
mcharb007

If you can come up with a good way to improve the stock system, the I would sure like to hear about it. Good luck.

1997BlackETC
04-20-13, 01:38 AM
Probably to do anything you'd just have to tear the whole thing out and go with a custom dash with build in double din with built in nav, amps in the trunk, high end speakers etc. I can't remember what they did with Justin beavers car on west coast customs as far as the sound system went, it was a new V coupe and they modified it big time, even had lambo doors. Doing what I said above would be a major undertaking and probably not worth it for most people, that's why you don't hear of many people modding the sound systems in these cars, but good question anyhow. I don't believe just upgrading the speakers would do much or might make things worse because these bose system use speakers with wierd impedance numbers with must line up with the wierd amps.

Jinx
04-20-13, 01:46 PM
I did the rip-and-replace thing with the C6, but the dash was a modular design (though not quite DIN) and I didn't mind giving up a little hatch space... and I was highly motivated to replace the stock CD changer with something disk-based. The V wagon is different on all counts.

Crystal Red CTS-V
04-20-13, 02:46 PM
Why GM continues to use BOSE is beyond me. The Harman-Kardon system in the new Buick and my wife's Mini Cooper sound so much better. The Bose in the V sounds considerably better than the one in Z06.

Back in the 70's when home audio systems were ruled by the likes of Marantz, Krell, etc. BOSE always stood for Buy Other Stereo Equipment. :)

Jinx
04-20-13, 03:30 PM
But oldsters still buy Bose wave radios and Bose home theater systems As Seen On TV, so clearly the brand has some pull. It's why I'm not surprised (just disappointed) that the new Corvette Stingray has a premium Bose system at the top of its options chart. So much for appealing to younger buyers...

Also, I thought home audio in the 70s was ruled by DAK. Or was that the 80s? :)

vfaninva
04-20-13, 05:31 PM
Y

Didn't know I had to have a high post count to respond to a topic that I have qualified knowledge about. I was jusy trying to add knowledge to the community but I guess that's not welcome either. No I don't work for best buy, if you must know I am a firefighter and a paramedic but I guess that's not good enough either. Don't worry I won't post on your board anymore. Thanks for the welcome.

And somebody said I was sensitive!

JKG
04-20-13, 10:14 PM
I worked in the stereo business in the 80s, when Bose 901 speakers were the big thing. Although this is only my opinion, those speakers were 4 $2 universal speakers pointing in different directions with a crappy paper woofer. But when comparing them to better stuff at half the price, it made it easy to sell other speakers! Yes the bose system in the corvette is frustratingly disappointing. My Jeeps and Fords definitely sound better.

1997BlackETC
04-20-13, 10:41 PM
I actually don't think it sounds too bad and I'm kind of a audiophile. I think the system in my Wagon with the sub in the spare tire well definately sounds better than the coupe or the sedan I listened to.

mcharb007
04-21-13, 12:07 PM
Had the chance to listen to the Logic 7 system in a 2006 BMW M5 yesterday and it blew away the CTS-V Bose system. If we had something like the Logic 7 in the caddy then I wouldn't replace it.

RaVeNous
04-21-13, 12:13 PM
Had the chance to listen to the Logic 7 system in a 2006 BMW M5 yesterday and it blew away the CTS-V Bose system. If we had something like the Logic 7 in the caddy then I wouldn't replace it.

Ohh 4 posts and chimes in to talk not only about how much better an M5 is but about its stereo..... ROFL...Bimmer fan boys are like an extremist cell and equally as blind....or deaf in this case.

The only way your getting high quality audio in a car is with noise canceling headphones used for studio recording. But hey every ******* has an opinion right? The Bose sounds fine. Maybe some people just listen to shitty music.

Did you really buy a V or are you just here to start a bunch of "this sucks about this car threads"?

But seriously just mess with the settings some, and bandaid or not, an eq is worth a first try. Enjoy the car. You're correct the sound dampening isn't bad at all for a performance car. My first, well second mod is to add some mass loaded vinyl behind the rear seat to cut out some tire noise. That's another option-car stereos sound better with a well insulated interior. BMW are generally fairy quiet on their high end stuff.

stuckbehindaprius
04-21-13, 01:27 PM
Someone once posted about the jbl ms-8 and another one I can't remember. They had it in their v and apparently it made a world of difference. Check it out:

http://www.jbl.com/estore/jbl/us/products/MS-8/MS-8_JBL_US?skuId=MS-8_JBL_US&searchMode=regularProductOnly

To quote one review:

Now on to the results. The MS-8 does a FANTASTIC job. My sound system in the car sounds way better than most premium setups found in BMW's and Mercedes. JBL really nailed this one. The processor adds quite a bit of delay to the rears and performs a lot of phase cutting between the fronts and the rear speakers. It also does a very good job of setting up a good crossover point between the woofers and the sub for the mid bass. Basically the base attack comes from the BA woofers, while the depth of the bass sound comes from the JL subwoofer in the trunk.

Although they spent 5(!) hours calibrating it. I don't have that much patience. If anyone can chime in with the other brand it would be helpful.

Random84
04-21-13, 03:23 PM
Y

He's like that on all the boards - a die-hard loyalist who seems to hate any dissenting opinion with a condescending vengence. Comform, submit, obey to populist opinion! This is a CTSV forum, damn you, either praise thy Cadillac or suffer damnation! :D

Don't sweat the small stuff, or confuse individuals with personality defects with the rest of the membership. Wait until you get chewed out by at least one or two others before abandoning ship.

Jinx
04-21-13, 04:35 PM
Ohh 4 posts and chimes in to talk not only about how much better an M5 is but about its stereo.....

Are you a professional tool or is it just a hobby? He didn't talk about how much better an M5 is, only its audio system compared to the V.

The only way your getting high quality audio in a car is with noise canceling headphones used for studio recording. Since "high quality" is by definition a qualitative, not a quantitative, evaluation, subject to personal opinion and interpretation, your fanboy extremist statement isn't worth much.

But hey every ******* has an opinion right? As you've amply demonstrated.

The Bose sounds fine. It's all relative.

Maybe some people just listen to shitty music. Classy too. Standard of the World, represent.

Did you really buy a V or are you just here to start a bunch of "this sucks about this car threads"? He hasn't started any threads. Do you have a designated driver?

But seriously, turn down the hostility.

Random84
04-21-13, 08:48 PM
Apparently some panties are twisted - I'm not sure if it's irony or just entertainment... someone's bitching about all you 60 year old castrated men who can't take some ****ing sarcasm! You bimmer-blowing *******s!

http://www.cadillacowners.com/forum/showthread.php/8093-Is-there-a-problem-with-estrogen-in-the-quot-other-quot-forum

Hilarious. :D

mcharb007
04-22-13, 12:37 AM
Found this cts-v build for you guys to reference. Keep in mind that this guy is dropping major cash on this build with very highend equipment. You don't have to spend as much as he does.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/76616-se7ens-cts-v.html

thebigjimsho
04-22-13, 10:22 AM

Anyway just my 2 cents.

This.

----------

Haven't upgraded the V yet. I'm upgrading power and wheels first. Then I'll decide on what equipment and build I want for the V after that's all done.

I've upgraded a lot of other cars and will say that I am excited about the V due to the good sound deadening from the factory compared to other vehicles. Should make for a great sound experience with minimum difficulty compared to standard builds where sound deadening is top priority.

There have been high end systems in the V. Dynaudio 9" in the doors, 5" Dynaudio and Esotar tweets in the kickpanels.

I'll see if I can find the build thread...

----------

Found this cts-v build for you guys to reference. Keep in mind that this guy is dropping major cash on this build with very highend equipment. You don't have to spend as much as he does.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/76616-se7ens-cts-v.html

This was the guy. He has a build thread here, too...

----------

As for the current V, the Bose isn't too bad. It's not great, but its worlds better than the V1 I spent over 5 years in. That old V had a horrible Bose system and XM radio was almost unlistenable.

The XM sounds as good as FM does. I almost listen exclusively to XM because its very good.

However, as someone who always had custom systems in his cars, I've always desired something better. I wish I had dumb ears like some of you...

hulksdaddy
04-22-13, 05:01 PM
I wish I had dumb ears like some of you...

Don't worry, the rest of you makes up for it...

:sneaky:

cruiser68
04-22-13, 08:16 PM
I'm in the process of adding a sub with amp. A JL 10W3 and a JL 600/1 amp. I was originally planning on mounting in the oem location then I figured out I would be cutting metal. So I just built a box for the spare tire spot and I figure I will just remove the oem sub to let sound pass easily into the passenger compartment. Not expecting hi fidelity but I would definitively expect an improvement in bass response. In the process of putting some dynamat down.

I did a pretty complete upgrade to the oem bose in my 08 Yukon. Used a JL Cleansweep to capture everything after the bose amp and equalize it then feed two amps low level inputs. I wanted to keep all the oem stuff in the head unit. Definitely rocked. Not sure I want to go to that length in the V. Plus I already have an issue adding weight with the dynamat :(

Rule12b
04-22-13, 09:59 PM
Everytime I see this thread I think "why yes I did, with headers and Corsa". lol

Now I just have the dash speaker remaining. :-)

On topic though, some of the work in these builds is really remarkable.

lheimann
04-28-13, 07:05 PM
I've upgraded my 08 escalade which came factory with the Bose system obviously. Kept factory head, put all new surround rockford fosgate, my stereo shop installed a rockford 1000 watt amp and a pair of rockford 10's in a custom built factory box so that I don't lose any cargo space and I can still keep my third row down for seating (football kids still need to sit back there lol) needless to say it sounds fantastic!

I currently have the V undergoing surgery as we speak, it's getting the same upgrade except going with a higher end speaker and amp setup from rockford and its getting a pair of 12's.

My music genre is wide based from 80's, MOSTLY country, soft alternative, rock, pop and hip hop... So wanted something to accommodate a broad range of sound and my stereo shop did a fantastic job getting the escalade to meet my specs, won't find out on the V till Tuesday but can only imagine it'll sound just as good if not better.

..... Just my 2 cents worth.... It's possible ;)

----------

Is there anywhere else that CTS owners who've actually done audio upgrades to the CTS hang out? So far it sounds like nobody here has actually taken the Nestea plunge -- no offense to anyone here, and maybe that's a good sign -- especially news there are settings in there that can actually make a difference. But I'm skeptical that the stock setup will be able to keep me out of trouble. I've been in trouble before...

I've upgraded my 08 escalade which came factory with the Bose system obviously. Kept factory head, put all new surround rockford fosgate, my stereo shop installed a rockford 1000 watt amp and a pair of rockford 10's in a custom built factory box so that I don't lose any cargo space and I can still keep my third row down for seating (football kids still need to sit back there lol) needless to say it sounds fantastic!

I currently have the V undergoing surgery as we speak, it's getting the same upgrade except going with a higher end speaker and amp setup from rockford and its getting a pair of 12's.

My music genre is wide based from 80's, MOSTLY country, soft alternative, rock, pop and hip hop... So wanted something to accommodate a broad range of sound and my stereo shop did a fantastic job getting the escalade to meet my specs, won't find out on the V till Tuesday but can only imagine it'll sound just as good if not better.

..... Just my 2 cents worth.... It's possible

thebigjimsho
04-28-13, 07:24 PM
Is it possible?

lheimann
04-28-13, 07:27 PM
Is it possible?

Possible.... And fairly inexpensive IMO... Escalade cost me about 2k and v's going to cost me about 1700...

ptrd
04-29-13, 08:00 PM
This...

http://earmarkcaraudio.blogspot.com/2013/02/cadillac-cts-v-audio-system-rescue.html

asilver
06-16-13, 01:24 PM

he's completely correct, and trust me, no schmuck from best buy would know that you're only supposed to have front speakers and a sub

thebigjimsho
06-16-13, 03:28 PM
I've always used rear fill in my cars...

asilver
06-16-13, 03:50 PM
I've always used rear fill in my cars...

nothing wrong with rear fill, except that from the driver's seat you won't hear a difference for the money it cost to add rear speakers, that's not to say I'd turn it off or fade all the way to the front on a factory system, but the really high dollar audiofile systems are going to have a very expensive amplifier, and 1 pair of component or 2 pair of component speakers all up front and 1 or more subwoofers.

I have only done fronts / sub in 1 of my vehicles, which was a 2 seater, I would probably leave rear fill for any 4 door b/c rear passengers would not be happy without rear-fill