Cadillac Owners Forum banner

V-Wagon on order; any advice on break-in and delivery?

2K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  JFJr 
#1 ·
Expecting the car around Memorial Day (it's being assembled in mid-May, theoretically). Black diamond, titanium interior, panorama sunroof, red Brembo's and a stick. Pretty excited for my first American car - any/all advice welcome!

#7 ·
First of all... Dont do a smokey burnout.!! Not until you break in the phosphate rear end. I was not told about this and I drive my car like I stole it. Thus im on my second rear end. Be gentle for the first 1500 miles for the rear differential only. Its tuff to do but its a must. Once its broke in its damn near bullet proof. Nice choices on the style and color.!!

#8 ·
OK now that the welcomes are done....break this car in just like in the owner's manual. In short:

200 miles easy braking
500 miles engine (don't maintain constant engine speed and don't rev above 4k)
1500 miles on the diff by not doing burnouts.

Do this and you will avoid much toil and trouble later in the car's life. That first 1500 miles will pass before you know it, THEN you can do the big smokey burnout and worry less that you'll break something.

Congrats and you are going to have a great summer in the most awesome sleeper wagon you will ever own.

....and to quote Xaqtly...."one of us...." though we wagon-owning freaks are becoming increasingly common on the forums.

#12 ·
I have read some discussions where the engine oil should be changed to dino oil, not synthetic, for the break in period. Any credence to that?

#14 ·
On a new car/engine, I like to change the oil a couple hundred miles in, then again at 500 miles, then at 1500 miles. I do prefer using dino oil for the break in period. It's probably not strictly necessary to change the oil that often, but part of what you're doing when breaking an engine in is seating the piston rings, which generates metal flakes which then get absorbed into the oil. That's why I like to change the oil very often as the rings are seating, just as a precaution. I don't like metal swimming around in my engine. :)

After 1500 miles, my opinion is that it's as broken in as it's going to get, switch to synthetic and have at it.

#16 ·
Awesome advice, and I appreciate the good wishes. I'll def follow the break-in before a donut. The early oil change advice is great. Very excited for this car - my first American car in 25 years of driving. It's a brilliant car - for the price, it's a no-brainier. I was considering an S7, E63 Wagon, and a XJ Supercharged, none of which offered the same value, fun factor, manual tranny, power and beauty. Plus, I can take the dog, a few friends, and luggage - and still smoke most cars on the road. The fact that Audi and BMW don't offer power wagons here is a travesty. Their loss.

#18 ·
I agree 100%..... I just bought my '13 TG wagon as well. Got it about 3 weeks ago. I looked at every car/suv on the market and just kept going back to the Vagon....Its a ton of car for the money... and the Cool/rare ride factor is incredible. Many people ask the same question.... WTF IS THAT ! lol I love it. and then they see a clutch and stick... well then they just laugh and shake their head.... No X5, Benz, Audi (i also own a Q7) does any of that for u..... Even my vett which is tricked out and looks very sick gets less props and questions then the Vagon. Anyone on the road who is a car guy.... knows what the "V" is all about.... and when they see it on our wagon.....well....lol its just a stupidly fast, incredibly fun car to drive.

Break in period.... Do all that other people suggest.... be nice to your ride. But for god sakes..... Let her rip at least once.... She can take it.... These cars are tough..... and the smile on your face as you wipe melted rubber off the back quarter panel will be worth it........ TRUST ME ! :) You will say the same thing I did....... A F*cking Wagon did that ....... REALLY !!!!!!

Welcome to the vagon club ...... I just got my membership.... and Im not giving it back....

#17 ·
You made a good choice. You are going to love the V. I changed my oil at 500, 1000, and 10k. I don't care if somebody says I wasted my money. Peace of mind. I also changed my diff fluid at 10k. I beat the living sh!t out of my car right off the dealership parking lot. I was one of the first documented 2009 11sec completely stock car at ~15k miles. At 42k my car is still a beast. I say enjoy your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.