: 05 Escalade Base question

spirit man
04-17-13, 05:15 PM
I'm back on the search and I found a vehicle that has potential. It's an hour away. The seller said the only problem was the fuel gauge hand doesn't work. He said the instrument cluster needs to be replaced and the mileage adjusted.

Since my mechanic is located where I live and I don't know a thing about Escalades, what should I specifically be looking for. I have a volt meter and an ODB2 scanner.

the cadillac man
04-17-13, 05:50 PM
I'm back on the search and I found a vehicle that has potential. It's an hour away. The seller said the only problem was the fuel gauge hand doesn't work. He said the instrument cluster needs to be replaced and the mileage adjusted.

Since my mechanic is located where I live and I don't know a thing about Escalades, what should I specifically be looking for. I have a volt meter and an ODB2 scanner.

Take the truck for a test drive before making a decision

the voltage gauge could just be a stepper motor bad(easy to fix if you know how to soldier)

spirit man
04-18-13, 01:37 AM
The guy said it was AWD. I checked the VIN number and the 5th digit is C. I read that C is 2WD and K is AWD/4WD. On to the next one....

the cadillac man
04-18-13, 03:20 AM
The guy said it was AWD. I checked the VIN number and the 5th digit is C. I read that C is 2WD and K is AWD/4WD. On to the next one....

One way to tell is the front axle that and the engine in certain years(they were all wheel drive with the 6.0)

YoshiMan
04-18-13, 03:35 AM
I second what he said, Make certain you drive it and listen for oddball driveline noises. The most common issues these have from what i've heard from others are the front differentials, the transfercases, and various little electrical things. Make certain you check EVERY electrical item inside the car, becuase as most of them are pretty simple to fix if you are mechanically inclined, they can get very expensive if shop do them for you.

Also, check the oil gauge and see around where it averages. should be about half-way up the gauge. sometimes the O-ring between the oil pump and the pick up tube deteriorates, causes it to suck air and eventually leads to the oil pan needing to be dropped to fix it.

spirit man
04-18-13, 08:17 AM
I appreciate the tips!

miketaylor4
04-23-13, 08:53 PM
carfax is usually filled with answers, worth the 20 bucks

jnrsesv
04-24-13, 07:23 AM
The "mileage needs adjusted"?

Hmmm I would be more worried about that.

spirit man
04-24-13, 07:44 AM
The "mileage needs adjusted"?

Hmmm I would be more worried about that.This one didn't make the cut. Plus, it was RWD. I specifically said I wanted AWD.

the cadillac man
04-24-13, 12:58 PM
This one didn't make the cut. Plus, it was RWD. I specifically said I wanted AWD.

I would have passed on the mileage needs adjusting(that means its been tampered with and is not good)

caddydaddy
05-01-13, 09:42 PM
(they were all wheel drive with the 6.0)

My 2005 has the 6.0, but is 2WD.

the cadillac man
05-01-13, 10:38 PM
My 2005 has the 6.0, but is 2WD.

Yeah I forgot that gm dropped the smaller engine in 05 my bad

Silent_Assasin
05-03-13, 08:34 PM
The guy said it was AWD. I checked the VIN number and the 5th digit is C. I read that C is 2WD and K is AWD/4WD. On to the next one.... I dont think I would even take a chance on the guy if hes obviously not being honest to you about stuff like that! Just my opinion!

>>>:ripped: >>> :bsmeter: