: Did anyone ever figure out how to disable the drl?

Jlsiberia
04-17-13, 02:38 PM
Does the cts fix for clipping the wire work? Can a tech 2 scan tool actually do this? I just replaced my first bulb, and out of principle, I never want to do that again.

I have searched and searched with no concrete answer.

nascarnation
04-20-13, 01:41 PM
I've never heard of this option, but I sure hope it's possible. In 4 years I think I've changed a bulb 5 or 6 times, and it's a royal pain in the @ss. I'm not sure which is a worse design, the difficulty of changing it, or the fact that the front turn signal is disabled when the bulb fails.

It's frustrating how a little nuisance like this colors your whole view of the vehicle.

08SRX
04-21-13, 06:17 PM
Why on earth would you disable a safety feature like DRL? DRL has been proven to reduce accident rates.

orandaberg
04-21-13, 06:31 PM
My DRL (city lights) stay on with the main lights. Main lights are used as DRL in Europe, they have to be on during day, but that city light is a waste having it on with the main lights, unless you change it to a bright LED in its place. IMO city lights should go off when main lights go on.

conedoctor
04-22-13, 11:39 AM
I have to 100% agree with 08SRX (make a note on this one)

I have changed 2 turn signal bulbs in like 7 years on two SRX's, it takes 1/2 hour so not a big deal really.

70eldo
04-22-13, 02:34 PM
My DRL (city lights) stay on with the main lights. Main lights are used as DRL in Europe, they have to be on during day, but that city light is a waste having it on with the main lights, unless you change it to a bright LED in its place. IMO city lights should go off when main lights go on.

Meanwhile Europe has dedicated DRL as well. They shall run without tail lights on.
I understood the square DRLs are disabled in the Europe spec by programming (lightpipe only) as amber DRL lights are not allowed in Europe. I would've liked to replace them by LED-bulbs though and enable them. But I never got to get the gen II CTS...

orandaberg
04-22-13, 03:25 PM
Not sure I understand what your saying,square DRL, do you mean the fog lights,euro DRL is the low beam on during the day,I believe Germany has not made it a law yet for lights on? Or as the modern cars have now like Audi led strips

70eldo
05-24-13, 10:56 AM
Sorry to answer so late.
The Gen II CTS has light pipe in the front and amber DRL. And the Amber light in the head light unit is rectangular. Right?
In Europe the rectangular (amber) light unit inside the head light unit is disabled, because amber DRL is not allowed in Europe. DRL is only allowed when white and not too bright and without tail lights on. Yes, Audi has those white LED-stripes, but many brands now have some sort of LED DRL in the current models.

martyn1963
01-20-15, 05:34 AM
Had many arguments with yearly inspection here in the uk regarding lights in the past. Sequential rear on cougar. Amber front on firebird.my 2009 srx has no drl but I'm guessing they share the front turn signal unit. Yet land rover discovery has amber city lights over here as does 5 series bmw. We also get clear smoked rear lights on srx. As mine is crystal red your lights would blend in much nicer. Jobs for the summer i think.

1badgmc
09-05-16, 08:56 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to kill the DRLs too. I have an '06 SRX I just picked up and want to kill them. I tried the same trick I used to kill them when I had my '04 CTS, but the SRX has more pins in the little black box than the CTS does.

Ludacrisvp
09-06-16, 12:15 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to kill the DRLs too. I have an '06 SRX I just picked up and want to kill them. I tried the same trick I used to kill them when I had my '04 CTS, but the SRX has more pins in the little black box than the CTS does.

Only option I know of is to use the tech 2 to reprogram the IPM to an export country like Germany for example that doesn't call for DRLs. You can also enable the option to have fog lamps remain lit during high beam activation.

1badgmc
09-06-16, 05:29 PM
Only option I know of is to use the tech 2 to reprogram the IPM to an export country like Germany for example that doesn't call for DRLs. You can also enable the option to have fog lamps remain lit during high beam activation.

Bah. That's about what I was afraid of. I have hookups at GM dealers and other shops so it's not a HUGE issue for me, I was just trying to avoid having to call in favors.

AMB_IV
09-06-16, 09:51 PM
I've been looking at this for different reasons.....
There appear to be different flashers for Domestic and Export versions.
the non-common pinouts from the flasher look like this:
Pin Wire Color Circuit No. Function
A D-BU 5364 Left DRL/Turn Supply Voltage (Domestic)
A L-BU/WH 1314 Left Front Turn Signal Lamp Supply Voltage/Left Turn Signal Indicator Lamp Supply Voltage (Export)
H D-GN 5365 Right DRL/Turn Supply Voltage (Domestic)
H D-BU/WH 1315 Right Front Turn Signal Lamp Supply Voltage/Right Turn Signal Indicator Lamp Supply Voltage (Export)
hey this was a great looking table in excel my apologies for the formatting.

if you are adverse to going to the dealer you may want to look for an export flasher and see what it does. it does not state DRL in the export pinout functions.
regards,
Mac

Ludacrisvp
09-06-16, 10:47 PM
I've been looking at this for different reasons.....
There appear to be different flashers for Domestic and Export versions.
the non-common pinouts from the flasher look like this:
Pin Wire Color Circuit No. Function
A D-BU 5364 Left DRL/Turn Supply Voltage (Domestic)
AL-BU/WH 1314 Left Front Turn Signal Lamp Supply Voltage/Left Turn Signal Indicator Lamp Supply Voltage (Export)
H D-GN 5365 Right DRL/Turn Supply Voltage (Domestic)
HD-BU/WH 1315 Right Front Turn Signal Lamp Supply Voltage/Right Turn Signal Indicator Lamp Supply Voltage (Export)
hey this was a great looking table in excel my apologies for the formatting.

if you are adverse to going to the dealer you may want to look for an export flasher and see what it does. it does not state DRL in the export pinout functions.
regards,
Mac

This is because the DRL is handled by the IPM (computer controlled).

The flasher is likely different for export as they probably have the repeater lamp on the front fenders. However I really doubt the actual flasher is different and it comes down to wiring.

If you're ever in MN I have a tech 2 and would likely be willing to change these settings on a forum member car.

wcs222
09-07-16, 10:38 PM
I got tired of replacing the DRL bulbs and put in LED replacements (array of LEDs) that plug directly into the same socket. It's a bit of hassle wiring in the ballast resistor (so there is no rapid flashing), but it's been 4 years now without a failure.

AMB_IV
09-11-16, 07:09 PM
This is because the DRL is handled by the IPM (computer controlled).

The flasher is likely different for export as they probably have the repeater lamp on the front fenders. However I really doubt the actual flasher is different and it comes down to wiring.

If you're ever in MN I have a tech 2 and would likely be willing to change these settings on a forum member car.

Hi, I did more investigation and you are correct. I was only looking at my notes, I should have looked at the schematics - they show a single wire from the Dash integration module (DIM) to the flasher. the schematic shows it as a switch to ground inside the DIM. see the image below:
so the programming is done in the DIM and no messaging is done between the DIM and the flasher- one wire only.
turns out, when the car is in part the wire is open circuit.
when in N or D, the wire is grounded and a resistance is seen on a voltmeter.
so, if you make this modification to the flasher, i.e. break the circuit between the arrow heads. I cut mine at the circled location (so I can fix it later:) )
Voilą! no more DRL's
Mac
of course, i have to add the usual disclaimers. perform this modification at your own risk. I am not responsible for whatever consequences you may incur from making this modification, or attempting to make this modification.

AMB_IV
09-11-16, 07:13 PM
Whoops~ where I said:
I meant
turns out, when the car is in PARK the wire is open circuit.
didn't see any obvious means to edit it.

Sorcerer
09-12-16, 07:31 PM
I don't have the DRL (inside the headlight - City Light) problem...both are burnt out = problem solved, ha.

1badgmc
09-12-16, 08:24 PM
I don't have the DRL (inside the headlight - City Light) problem...both are burnt out = problem solved, ha.

The city lights are not the DRLs. My city lights work, but I'm not really concerned whether they do or not. It's the actual DRLs that burn on the signal lights that I want to kill.

----------

Hi, I did more investigation and you are correct. I was only looking at my notes, I should have looked at the schematics - they show a single wire from the Dash integration module (DIM) to the flasher. the schematic shows it as a switch to ground inside the DIM. see the image below:
so the programming is done in the DIM and no messaging is done between the DIM and the flasher- one wire only.
so, if you make this modification to the flasher, i.e. break the circuit between the arrow heads. I cut mine at the circled location (so I can fix it later:) )
Voilą! no more DRL's
Mac
of course, i have to add the usual disclaimers. perform this modification at your own risk. I am not responsible for whatever consequences you may incur from making this modification, or attempting to make this modification.

Great stuff! I just did this and it's now lights out for my DRLs. Many thanks!

Sorcerer
09-12-16, 10:32 PM
The city lights are not the DRLs. My city lights work, but I'm not really concerned whether they do or not. It's the actual DRLs that burn on the signal lights that I want to kill.

----------

Great stuff! I just did this and it's now lights out for my DRLs. Many thanks!

Yeah, I know that, but a lot of people who posted in this thread get them confused, but obviously not you. My post was just some humor. So you turned your signal lights off which are the DRL(s), and they still work as signal lights? What do you now use for DRL(s)?

----------

Voilą! no more DRL's
Mac

Good detective work! Novice questions; where do you find the DIM, and why would you later want to repair it and why (i'm no electrician)?

AMB_IV
09-13-16, 12:00 AM
Good detective work! Novice questions; where do you find the DIM?

Pay no attention to the DIM, it is not the device we are interested in. the DIM resides somewhere up inside the instrument panel, where, I don't know, and this time I don't need to know. instead we are hacking the turn signal flasher module so we don't have to ask Ludacrisvp to reprogram the DIM for us. or have the dealer do it for $$$.

The turn signal flasher module is underneath the dashboard, generally behind the park brake release/hood release area. you can reach up in there and pull it out without removing anything (but you better take the lower panel off the dashboard and look up there to see where it is first). it looks like this:
of course yours isn't hanging below the dashboard like mine. it's alot easier to pull out than replace:bigroll:
and you have to squeeze the connector lock, and pull it from the harness. the connector end of the box is snapped in, you can see the snap reliefs, just wiggle the connector end while working the snaps loose with a small screwdriver. then you can pull the end off, and slide the turn signal flasher board out of the container.

....and why would you later want to repair it and why (i'm no electrician)?
I'm prototyping something else that require the DRL circuit to function as intended. so when this "kill DRL" discussion is complete I'll solder a piece of wire across the gap and the DRL's will work again.

if you're not an electrican or a skilled amateur, you may want to find someone who is and have them cut the circuit. they will probably test the circuit to make sure it is an open circuit before handing it back to you.

I should add, you can accomplish the same thing by snipping a wire....however, I don't know which wire. personally I would much rather destroy a $40 turn signal flasher than an irreplaceable wiring harness. So I do NOT recommend butchering your wiring harness.

I apologize for the long winded post......
Mac

1badgmc
09-13-16, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I know that, but a lot of people who posted in this thread get them confused, but obviously not you. My post was just some humor.

Ah...I gotcha! Carry on! LOL

So you turned your signal lights off which are the DRL(s), and they still work as signal lights?

Correct.

What do you now use for DRL(s)

Nothing.

Sorcerer
09-13-16, 01:30 PM
Pay no attention to the DIM, it is not the device we are interested in. the DIM resides somewhere up inside the instrument panel, where, I don't know, and this time I don't need to know. instead we are hacking the turn signal flasher module so we don't have to ask Ludacrisvp to reprogram the DIM for us. or have the dealer do it for $$$.

The turn signal flasher module is underneath the dashboard, generally behind the park brake release/hood release area. you can reach up in there and pull it out without removing anything (but you better take the lower panel off the dashboard and look up there to see where it is first). it looks like this:
of course yours isn't hanging below the dashboard like mine. it's alot easier to pull out than replace:bigroll:
and you have to squeeze the connector lock, and pull it from the harness. the connector end of the box is snapped in, you can see the snap reliefs, just wiggle the connector end while working the snaps loose with a small screwdriver. then you can pull the end off, and slide the turn signal flasher board out of the container.

I'm prototyping something else that require the DRL circuit to function as intended. so when this "kill DRL" discussion is complete I'll solder a piece of wire across the gap and the DRL's will work again.

if you're not an electrican or a skilled amateur, you may want to find someone who is and have them cut the circuit. they will probably test the circuit to make sure it is an open circuit before handing it back to you.

I should add, you can accomplish the same thing by snipping a wire....however, I don't know which wire. personally I would much rather destroy a $40 turn signal flasher than an irreplaceable wiring harness. So I do NOT recommend butchering your wiring harness.

I apologize for the long winded post......
Mac

Not long winded at all. Thanks for the detailed instructions and photo!

glake89
09-13-16, 01:36 PM
If you want to cut a wire instead, it's a L-GN/BK wire, 4th position from right, top row of connector as you face the pin side, clip up, (flasher module).

Sorcerer
09-13-16, 01:42 PM
Ah...I gotcha! Carry on! LOL

Correct.

Nothing.

Thanks!

----------

If you want to cut a wire instead, it's a L-GN/BK wire, 4th position from right, top row of connector as you face the pin side, clip up, (flasher module).

Thanks Glake89, but I don't think I will attempt that.

I live rural, so the majority of my driving is highway, in which case it is probably good for me to have DRL(s).