: Did anyone ever figure out how to disable the drl?

Jlsiberia
04-17-13, 02:38 PM
Does the cts fix for clipping the wire work? Can a tech 2 scan tool actually do this? I just replaced my first bulb, and out of principle, I never want to do that again.

I have searched and searched with no concrete answer.

nascarnation
04-20-13, 01:41 PM
I've never heard of this option, but I sure hope it's possible. In 4 years I think I've changed a bulb 5 or 6 times, and it's a royal pain in the @ss. I'm not sure which is a worse design, the difficulty of changing it, or the fact that the front turn signal is disabled when the bulb fails.

It's frustrating how a little nuisance like this colors your whole view of the vehicle.

08SRX
04-21-13, 06:17 PM
Why on earth would you disable a safety feature like DRL? DRL has been proven to reduce accident rates.

orandaberg
04-21-13, 06:31 PM
My DRL (city lights) stay on with the main lights. Main lights are used as DRL in Europe, they have to be on during day, but that city light is a waste having it on with the main lights, unless you change it to a bright LED in its place. IMO city lights should go off when main lights go on.

conedoctor
04-22-13, 11:39 AM
I have to 100% agree with 08SRX (make a note on this one)

I have changed 2 turn signal bulbs in like 7 years on two SRX's, it takes 1/2 hour so not a big deal really.

70eldo
04-22-13, 02:34 PM
My DRL (city lights) stay on with the main lights. Main lights are used as DRL in Europe, they have to be on during day, but that city light is a waste having it on with the main lights, unless you change it to a bright LED in its place. IMO city lights should go off when main lights go on.

Meanwhile Europe has dedicated DRL as well. They shall run without tail lights on.
I understood the square DRLs are disabled in the Europe spec by programming (lightpipe only) as amber DRL lights are not allowed in Europe. I would've liked to replace them by LED-bulbs though and enable them. But I never got to get the gen II CTS...

orandaberg
04-22-13, 03:25 PM
Not sure I understand what your saying,square DRL, do you mean the fog lights,euro DRL is the low beam on during the day,I believe Germany has not made it a law yet for lights on? Or as the modern cars have now like Audi led strips

70eldo
05-24-13, 10:56 AM
Sorry to answer so late.
The Gen II CTS has light pipe in the front and amber DRL. And the Amber light in the head light unit is rectangular. Right?
In Europe the rectangular (amber) light unit inside the head light unit is disabled, because amber DRL is not allowed in Europe. DRL is only allowed when white and not too bright and without tail lights on. Yes, Audi has those white LED-stripes, but many brands now have some sort of LED DRL in the current models.