: Service Charging System

Txao1051
04-17-13, 09:10 AM
My service charging system light comes on randomly. What does this mean or what may be causing this problem?

BONNEVILLEGXP
04-17-13, 09:31 AM
My service charging system light comes on randomly. What does this mean or what may be causing this problem?

Alternator going out.

Txao1051
04-17-13, 09:24 PM
Alternator going out.

How much longer do I have before it goes

TLMC
04-17-13, 09:34 PM
Could be today could be next week,when the light comes on and stays on your running on battery only and not long before it dies especially at night.

the cadillac man
04-17-13, 10:12 PM
Could be today could be next week,when the light comes on and stays on your running on battery only and not long before it dies especially at night.

It isn't fun when the battery dies at night especially if your by yourself on a long stretch of dark highway
Here's a tip if it fails while driving turn everything that you don't need OFF to prolong battery life till you can hopefully make it to a place that's safe
I know this as my grandmas Buick did this and my dad had to keep as much stuff off(eg a/c windows lights radio) it made the battery last long enough for us to pull into a park and call my uncle for help(luckily it was in the day when it failed) but the battery didn't last long once the battery light came on

YoshiMan
04-18-13, 02:48 AM
The alternator is pretty simple to replace on these, as it is RIGHT on top of the engine and doesnt require any goofy tension adjustments becuase the belt adjusts automatically.

jnrsesv
04-18-13, 07:32 PM
Did you make sure the positive and negative battery terminals are clean and corrosion free?

Txao1051
04-18-13, 07:40 PM
Did you make sure the positive and negative battery terminals are clean and corrosion free?

Yes its a brand new battery and cables are almost pristine.

the cadillac man
04-18-13, 07:48 PM
Yes its a brand new battery and cables are almost pristine.

You better get the alternator replaced ASAP because if you don't it will fail at the worst possible time(and possibly mess up the PCM)

Txao1051
04-18-13, 09:45 PM
You better get the alternator replaced ASAP because if you don't it will fail at the worst possible time(and possibly mess up the PCM)

I plan on changing it Sunday thanks guys!