: What is a Healthy Weight?

CadillacCastle
04-17-13, 04:07 AM
does this seem realistic to the average person? And why is age not figured in? http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1108048103230.html
What is a Healthy Weight?

ben.gators
04-17-13, 04:49 AM
Funny you mentioned this! Today I was checking out different tables and reading about BMIs too.... My understanding is that these days in the U.S. there is a difference between the public perception of the healthy weight and the actual truth based on the medical and scientific researches.

Case 1: Unfortunately a lot of Americans have extra pounds. This problem has been so common that people have started to get used to it and their perception of normal weight has changed towards higher numbers! As an example, I am 5'10", and my weight is 160 lbs, which is exactly in the middle of the interval that your posted table says. I have a very lean body, with very good muscle tone. I go to gym 2-3 times a week. But I have been repeatedly told by different people that I am skinny! And the interesting part is that all of those people that called me skinny, have at least 30-40 extra pounds! It seems that when people gain extra pounds, their reference point for the normal weight gains some as well!

Case 2: The fashion industry has introduced an unrealistic, super-skinny body image for young girls, and as a result some young girls have been starving themselves to be like that!

Jesda
04-17-13, 07:27 AM
Do you look alright? Do you feel pretty good? Then you're okay.

But one day you will die.

thebigjimsho
04-17-13, 08:49 AM
Do you look alright? Do you feel pretty good? Then you're okay.

But one day you will die.

Probably.

cadillac kevin
04-17-13, 10:11 AM
I'm near the top end of my healthy weight range (6ft2 and 205). I work out twice a week, and eat ok (no fast food, very little soda or junk food.) I'm having problems losing weight in my stomach (who isn't?) but aside from that, I don't have alot of fat on my body.

Submariner409
04-17-13, 10:14 AM
Case 2: The fashion industry has introduced an unrealistic, super-skinny body image for young girls, and as a result some young girls have been starving themselves to be like that!

Based solely on some of the endless stack of catalogs that Karen receives in the mail, the fashion industry is slowly changing their idea of the "best" female figure. The trend is away from the Twiggy look.

I'm 6'2" and 225#. Not too shabby for a 73.5 year old. BUT, when I was in the Navy I smoked Marlboros - 3 packs a day - ate like a horse and weighed 185. I went off cigarettes cold turkey in '80 and my weight went up by 40# in 2 years, exercise and log splitting notwithstanding.

rodnok01
04-17-13, 11:21 AM
Wow if I weighed what it says I should I would be a stick. Shows I'm 10lbs heavy at least, people already say I'm a skinny sob. Age def should be a factor in weight.

Ranger
04-17-13, 12:14 PM
I'm 6'2" and 225#. Not too shabby for a 73.5 year old. BUT, when I was in the Navy I smoked Marlboros - 3 packs a day - ate like a horse and weighed 185. I went off cigarettes cold turkey in '80 and my weight went up by 40# in 2 years, exercise and log splitting notwithstanding.

does this seem realistic to the average person? And why is age not figured in?
It should be as I and Sub can both attest to, IT DOES FACTOR IN. It appears that he and I are (and where) mirror images.

EcSTSatic
04-17-13, 01:43 PM
I've always slightly exceeded the weight charts, even in the Marines, for my height because I'm a weightlifter. I see that they have a more common sense approach today; USMC weight standards
(http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/usmcweight.htm)At 57, I could excuse some weight gain due to age, but I still believe body-fat can be controlled

CadillacLuke24
04-17-13, 02:13 PM
I'm on the heavy side at 6'1" and 209.8 this morning (DIET IS WORKING!!)

It all depends on how you feel, and what you think is good. Physical health should also be taken into account.

CadillacCastle
04-17-13, 04:39 PM
I changed my diet and lost 30 pounds. I quit drinking root beer soda and now drink mostly water. I eat salmon every week now and quit fast food. I quit dring cokes because a 10 oz coke have as much calories as 9 teaspoons of sugar. I know that cokes made the most difference after quit, I stopped eating ice cream because I liked it too much. LOL Blue Bell is addictive. hahaha. I was buying water in a dollar store one day and the lady checher told me she lost 30 pounds by drinking water instead of cokes. I am 55 yo 185 lbs 6' 1" now

orconn
04-17-13, 05:43 PM
Way to go, Cad Castle! I admire tenacity and self control even though I don't have much myself.

Stingroo
04-17-13, 06:08 PM
Meh, the BMI scale is worthless anyway. For gauging RELATIVE health of whole populations? It's fine. For gauging individuals, it's skewed and takes nothing into account other than your height and weight. Get a caliper and measure your body fat percentage - that's a better indicator of health.

Didn't we have another fitness thread floating around? Hmmm....

Ranger
04-17-13, 10:09 PM
I changed my diet and lost 30 pounds. I quit drinking root beer soda and now drink mostly water. I eat salmon every week now and quit fast food. I quit dring cokes because a 10 oz coke have as much calories as 9 teaspoons of sugar. I know that cokes made the most difference after quit, I stopped eating ice cream because I liked it too much. LOL Blue Bell is addictive. hahaha. I was buying water in a dollar store one day and the lady checher told me she lost 30 pounds by drinking water instead of cokes. I am 55 yo 185 lbs 6' 1" now
Tried all that, and still do. Loose a little, but it always comes right back. I'm about to give up and just enjoy life.