: Catera Death-Rattle (sort of)

elvin315
04-17-13, 02:11 AM
Left home to hit the Thruway and eat dinner, the engine running smooth and strong (75 MPH). Normally a 35 mile drive. Halfway there I started feeling some misfiring which soon turned into lower revs and power. Engine codes on my Scan-Gauge II were p0301, p0302, p0304, p0000. Got off at the next exit and the engine could barely idle (350 RPM) and if I didn't feed her throttle she'd stall. Thinking it was bad gas or a dirty injector I dumped a can of Sea Foam. No change.

Headed home at low speed and 4-ways on straight to my local Chevy dealer (no local Cadillac dealer). Long story short...... dead #2 spark plug coil. Still sputtered and backfired a touch but that was due to the Sea Foam. Filled tank with 11 gallons of fresh gas (87 octane) and engine was good as new. Better in fact. Not knowing its service history I had the dealer replace all plugs, clean the MAF, and check for vacuum leaks. All OK. Feels stronger and will probably return better mileage.

Just another day of Catera ownership. Truth be told it was all my fault. I had delayed a tune-up for over a year. Maybe that wouldn't have prevented the coil failure but I should have replaced the plugs long ago. Did the poor spark overwork the coils? Don't know but as a supposedly responsible car owner I failed.

investor74
04-17-13, 02:17 PM
Truth be told it was all my fault. I had delayed a tune-up for over a year. Maybe that wouldn't have prevented the coil failure but I should have replaced the plugs long ago. Did the poor spark overwork the coils? Don't know but as a supposedly responsible car owner I failed.

If you are a failure, I am a total disaster.:yup: I've never replaced the spark plugs in the 16.5 years I've owned my Catera with 118K now. At some point, I figured it wasn't worth it because everything was probably so brittle (I have the older version with ignition wires). I read all the warnings about the coils working harder, etc, but I figured it was worth the chance. Engine still runs smooth as silk with about the same MPG as when new.

elvin315
04-17-13, 07:31 PM
Weird. My Cat is about 350 miles shy of 118, 000 mi. I included the comment about failing my responsibility because I wrote in my Catera overview that an owner has no business complaining about their Catera letting them down if said owner doesn't perform regular maintenance. I didn't and she bitch slapped me.

kaustein
04-17-13, 08:57 PM
I had more than 120k and other than the cps, it always start. Now the list of other stuff wrong was endless!

JohnJJO
04-17-13, 11:02 PM
If you are a failure, I am a total disaster.:yup: I've never replaced the spark plugs in the 16.5 years I've owned my Catera with 118K now. At some point, I figured it wasn't worth it because everything was probably so brittle (I have the older version with ignition wires). I read all the warnings about the coils working harder, etc, but I figured it was worth the chance. Engine still runs smooth as silk with about the same MPG as when new.

118k on same spark plugs . Wow. They are all gone. U need replace them. Don't be so cheep. Wires too. Put new air filter and clean your MAF with cleaner u gonna feel BIG difference !!!! And get OEM plugs or al lease NGK platinum. Don't buy Autolight