: 2007 Cadillac SRX battery drain problem

roytonyco
04-16-13, 07:28 PM
Has anyone had problems with a 2007 Cadillac SRX battery draining after sitting for 3 - 5 days in their garage? Is this a common problem for this vehicle? If so can anyone help with any suggestions as to where to look for the drain? Thanks in advance

repnatl
04-16-13, 08:55 PM
Sounds like a parasitic loss have you been driving it or has the alternator been tested? Also could be a bad battery try disconnecting it if you don't drive it and see if it drains

weccjc67
04-17-13, 12:23 AM
I was in the Hospital for the past 2 weeks and my 2007 SRX just sat there, still started up fine. I would not say it is a 2007 SRX issue but a battery or alternator issue. Definitely check battery and charging system.

n7don_srx
04-17-13, 08:28 AM
I would ask how old is the battery. Often ours will sit for over 2 weeks and start just fine. However when the battery fails to starts the car it does so without warning. I bought a "float" charger and when we don't drive from a couple weeks hook up to keep a small charge to the battery.
One of things you could check is system voltage before starting and after engine running. That would give an idea if the system is charging. System voltage should be an option available through your driver information center. The set of buttons you can cycle thru that displays info like tire pressure, etc. Voltage will be one of the options
When the car first starts voltage should be slightly over 14volts if the alternator is charging.
Sometime in the recent past one of the forum members posted about an issue with one of the accessory switches, if set in the wrong place, would cause a parasitic drain. I just don't recall the details.

glake89
04-17-13, 09:54 AM
Try moving the dash light dimmer to a different position. If it's the original battery it may be at the end of it's useful life.

conedoctor
04-17-13, 10:30 AM
I think the dimmer switch issue was for the early 1st gen SRX's wasn't it?

I would change the battery, 6 years is about right or even a bit too long on the factory battery.

orandaberg
04-21-13, 03:52 PM
Hi
My car will not start after 2 days,been like that since I had the car, battery and alternator has just been tested and works, unlike n7don states the voltage does not start at 14 on mine it starts cranking showing 12,5 and goes to 14 running in about a min and stays there, sometimes down to 13,8 but back up to 14. We did a load test with everything on, lights radio, ac doors open while running and the voltage dropped slightly but always went backup to 14. After I have done some major radiator repairs I will do a drain test on the battery, I did unhook my aftermarket radio and rear dvd, but it did not make any difference.

n7don_srx
04-21-13, 06:26 PM
Hi
.....unlike n7don states the voltage does not start at 14 on mine it starts cranking showing 12,5 and goes to 14 running in about a min and stays there, sometimes down to 13,8 but back up to 14. .........
Your right. It might take a minute to get to 14+V. In fact I recall the charge rate is computer controlled. My point was if the battery is 12+V before starting and goes to 14+v after the engine is running the alternator is probably OK.
Typically it will start OK after sitting a couple weeks. However if I know it will be that long I've got one of these ( http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html ) that charges the battery at a very low rate. I doubt you have many Harbor Freights in Norway but maybe something similar is available.

orandaberg
04-21-13, 06:55 PM
I have a trickle charger I use when away longer then 2 days, but the last time I left it on for two weeks and came back and had all kinds of problems, see interior lights stay on thread from me. The problem finally went away pulling BCM 4 fuse, Now I just remove a terminal when away, I have been away from the car now a week an will not see it again for 3 more so I will see what happens, either a dead battery (which should not happen) or every CAN, BUS, ECM, BCM has deleted itself and I will have every know electrical problem there is LOL or COL. technically it should crank right up.

Mr. Mohr
04-21-13, 09:13 PM
I just bought my '04 N*, it has a battery issue as well, but I think that is due to the fact that the previous owner put in the wrong battery. He installed a Group 75, I know the 78 fits and is an upgrade from the 101, but this 75 is obviously too small, it doesn't fit very well at all. It says it has the CCA to handle it, but it is stamped as 06/12 and I always have to get a jump if even the slightest drain is put on it while it's off (ie. cell charger, radio on, doors open too long, vanity mirror left open). I'll swap it for the Group 78 as soon as I can, I just have too many other services that take priority to fix right now. As long as it doesn't die on me every day, I can hold out for a bit longer.

conedoctor
04-22-13, 10:48 AM
Check your dimmer on the 04, a battery that new should not go dead.

Mr. Mohr
05-03-13, 07:32 PM
I just bought a group 78 and it is AWESOME!!!

orandaberg
05-04-13, 03:43 AM
Hi
So your saying it starts after one week sitting. All new batteries at first will keep the charge, its as the weeks go by the parasite attacks the battery. I have left the terminal off for 3 weeks, will see if it starts connecting the terminals back, battery was fully charged when I left.
Having said that I could be left with a new host of problems from having the battery disconnected so long or a nice reboot! I tend to look forward to the new host of problems:(

08SRX
05-05-13, 08:05 PM
I have a trickle charger I use when away longer then 2 days, but the last time I left it on for two weeks and came back and had all kinds of problems, see interior lights stay on thread from me. The problem finally went away pulling BCM 4 fuse, Now I just remove a terminal when away, I have been away from the car now a week an will not see it again for 3 more so I will see what happens, either a dead battery (which should not happen) or every CAN, BUS, ECM, BCM has deleted itself and I will have every know electrical problem there is LOL or COL. technically it should crank right up.

There should be no reason to use a trickle charger. The battery should not drain (much) when the vehicle is parked off and when it is running the alternator charges the battery. Unless of course you have other issues going on...

orandaberg
05-05-13, 08:25 PM
The alternator an battery was tested and under load. It showed the alternator charging after start an under load. Bench test ok for battery. I have pulled all fuses under the hood but no change. Tried to get to the rear ones in the foot wells, but they are murder! Aughhhhh thanks for reminding me thsts the next problem to solve:(

weccjc67
05-12-13, 05:11 PM
I was in the Hospital for the past 2 weeks and my 2007 SRX just sat there, still started up fine. I would not say it is a 2007 SRX issue but a battery or alternator issue. Definitely check battery and charging system.

Well due to my sickness continuing my SRX sat for a almost a month maybe driven twice and my battery is now totally dead, was a new Delco battery too from last summer. I can use a jump box to start but battery is dead. I get free batteries for life at the Cadillac dealer anyway but man 2nd battery within a year. I had a GMC Yukon Denali that sat because we hardly used it [ GAS GUZZLER ]and that thing would sit for months and would still start.

orandaberg
05-13-13, 05:34 AM
Best to disconnect the battery for long periods of park. These cars are meant to be driven daily

davetracc
05-22-13, 11:21 PM
Hey, had this issue not to long ago.....turns out my stocked starter was partially seized and was drawing too much amps when trying to start. new starter fixed it.

Larry3x2
12-30-13, 09:55 AM
My wife's 2006 SRX has been unused for about a week and yesterday it failed to start, lights dimming when the key was turned and no starter engagement. Charged the battery and it starts fine. Got 12.1 volts battery alone and 14.7 off the alternator. Then checked the ignition off amp draw without anything supposedly operating and got a reading of 4.8 amps which seems high to me but which would explain the no start problem. Hopefully this may help you.
Does anyone know what a normal ignition off amp draw should be?
Larry

glake89
12-30-13, 11:39 AM
It is high, milli amps is normal. Try moving the panel dimmer switch. Then start chasing.

SB Newman
02-16-14, 06:26 PM
My 2007 Cadillac SRX V6, two days ago, wouldn't start. Had to jump start it every time (5x so far) if it sat for over 4 hours. Had the battery and alternator checked. Both are fine. I just noticed that when I shut off the car, there is a faint sound of a "fan" from around the radio. I tried putting a CD in and ejected it to see if that was it. That didn't work. There are no lights on when the car is off…. just that small sound of a fan. I haven't tried to disconnect the fuses yet. Any ideas?

Cadillac Cust Svc
02-18-14, 11:53 AM
My 2007 Cadillac SRX V6, two days ago, wouldn't start. Had to jump start it every time (5x so far) if it sat for over 4 hours. Had the battery and alternator checked. Both are fine. I just noticed that when I shut off the car, there is a faint sound of a "fan" from around the radio. I tried putting a CD in and ejected it to see if that was it. That didn't work. There are no lights on when the car is off…. just that small sound of a fan. I haven't tried to disconnect the fuses yet. Any ideas?
Hello SB Newman,

I apologize that you are experiencing this concern with your SRX where it needs to be jumped to be started. Have you taken your vehicle into a Cadillac dealership to have them look into this further? If not, I would be more than happy to assist you in setting up an appointment to look into this further. Please feel free to private message me or send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line if you would like my assistance. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

08SRX
02-19-14, 03:08 PM
The faint sound of a fan near the radio (also described as sounding like a small motor cycle inside your dash) is normal and emanates from the radio cooling unit. If you turn the vehicle off, this fan will keep running on accessory power for some time, however, it should stop immediately if you remove accessory power by opening the driver door.

Jim Coleman
03-03-14, 07:52 PM
05 SRX parasitic draw...had 3 batteries in the last 6 months. No interior lights left on. Friday started it up, started missing bad engine light flashing. Started the car up Saturday Morning ran fine, but check engine light stayed on, Code P0353, something to do with the coil. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if there are related or 2 separate issues?

Cadillacan
03-04-14, 09:56 PM
I thought I also had a battery problem (battery just over three years on an 2006 V6 SRX), replaced battery still would crank over. It turned out to be a corroded wire between the solenoid and the starter. Replaced them as they are all one unit, no problems now. I probably could have gotten away with out the new battery, however up here in Ontario Canada it's been and still is a very cold winter. Apparently you need need lots of power to turnover the Northstar engine.

ravenblack
03-16-14, 11:02 PM
I had a problem with my 07 just after I bought it (used but with extended warranty.) I kept loosing the presets on my radio, and sometimes I'd get in the car and the CD player would be shuffling discs like a set of cards. Dealer changed 2 batteries. Finally gave me a new radio.. That solved the problem. As previously stated, its something that's drawing power.

ray29
08-19-14, 04:24 PM
on my 3rd battery for my 2007 srx & still having starting issues. Cadillac service wants northward of $1,000 to fix. I am about to give up, very frustrated