: 2000 Deville Base - Front Ground Wire

vctrfs
04-16-13, 06:19 PM
So a couple of days ago I could'nt get my car to start. I checked a bunch of things, but forgot about the ground wire and I wound up replacing my starter and intake gaskets. I guess on the plus side, it was a repair that was kinda needed, since my started looked horribad and would've went more sooner than later.

But that wasn't my problem. On the front(left side) of my car, there is a wire that is not touching the ground(ground wire). I did some searching on ebay and found this and ordered it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271067618294?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I thought the ground on my deville lead from the alternator to the ground, but the guy says that this wire is for the engine to the ground. I am not 100% sure where these wires lead up to. I am kinda an amatuer mechanic in a way, but would this be a really hard job to replace? And is this the correct wire?

If not, can someone point me where I can buy the correct one on eBay? Also, if anyone knows a good video or thread that can help me replace this wire, I would be really greatful. Thanks.

vctrfs
04-16-13, 10:18 PM
Bump! I can really use the help!

vctrfs
04-17-13, 03:02 AM
Bump

bigtone
04-17-13, 07:17 AM
I replaced that ground wire on my 05 Deville. It ran from the alternator case, which is essentially the same potential as the engine, to the frame directly below the fuse box on the passenger side. Any 12" or so cable with the proper lugs on the end will work. Which end is disconnected? The alternator side is tough to get at.

CadillacLuke24
04-17-13, 01:11 PM
I'm no expert, but from what I know on my 96 DeVille that cable runs from the battery to some point on the engine. I want to say alternator, but do not quote me on that.

Do you have a picture you could show us? that would help a lot.

rodnok01
04-17-13, 10:46 PM
Kind of confusing what wire you're talking about, but you need a wire to engine from battery, battery to body and engine to body. Doesn't really matter where you hook them to on engine.