: Moldy AC - opinions please

JulieB
04-16-13, 04:11 PM
Hi, I just purchased my first Cadillac in January. Really love the ATS. After about a month my air conditioning started to smell of mold. I have had it in and out of service and made many phone calls to the dealership. They are minimizing the problem telling me there is mold everywhere, even in your home. Which there is, but if you can smell it, there is an abundance of it and therefore a problem. The service manager told me he drove the same car and he noticed a smell too. I did not smell anything in the two loaners I drove. Also, today the service manager told me that GM has a problem with their air conditioning smelling of mold. I don't buy that, and I don't think GM would really like him telling customers that. Any thoughts?

Hoosier Daddy
04-16-13, 04:25 PM
Hi, I just purchased my first Cadillac in January. Really love the ATS. After about a month my air conditioning started to smell of mold. I have had it in and out of service and made many phone calls to the dealership. They are minimizing the problem telling me there is mold everywhere, even in your home. Which there is, but if you can smell it, there is an abundance of it and therefore a problem. The service manager told me he drove the same car and he noticed a smell too. I did not smell anything in the two loaners I drove. Also, today the service manager told me that GM has a problem with their air conditioning smelling of mold. I don't buy that, and I don't think GM would really like him telling customers that. Any thoughts?
It's impossible to say based just on a forum post if there is something wrong with the car but it certainly sounds like there is.

It sounds like you may have a dealer problem. There are good dealers and bad dealers and good dealers having a bad day. Fortunately Cadillac assigns support people to these forums to help in these situations.

Here is a link in these forums to send them a private message: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=105125 (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=105125)

JulieB
04-16-13, 05:00 PM
Thanks Hoosier, there is a lot more to the story, that was the short version. I don't feel they have been honest since the beginning of the problem. They said is was the drain, but then I would have had water in the cabin and there was not, they have installed an after blow but it still smells, the mold is already in the system. Now they want to spray something else in it on Thursday but they are calling it a temporary fix. I don't think I should have to live with this smell in a new car as they are trying to convince me it's ok.

cullama213
05-30-13, 10:18 PM
Is it moldy all the time? Or just when it first starts?

My AC smells funky when it first starts, but then is normal about five seconds later.

pever
05-30-13, 10:42 PM
The condensate drains to the outside. If that line is blocked, be it by dirt or insects, etc., then you get problems of a primordial soup developing... Perhaps even at risk of humidifier fever type problems. If you have a frail immune system this is especially "not good". Get a good dealer to check the system.

ATS_maxblack
05-31-13, 06:41 AM
I am also noticing a mold stink when I first start the car. I have tried some tests by turning the ac off before shutting the car off and it reduces or eliminates the smell when I get back in. This result tells me that there might be an issue with the system condensation or moisture left over after shutdown.

Bertha D Blues
05-31-13, 08:17 AM
First, I don't have a problem with mold in my ATS. If you suspect that you do, the only way to be certain that it's mold is to test for it. You can get mold test kits at the home center and you'll need two of them. You want to test the air inside the car, but also, the ambiant air outside. Compare the results of the two tests. If the mold level is higher inside the car then it should be sanitized. If the inside and outside mold levels are the same (there's mold everywhere), then something else is causing the smell. About 10 years ago I had mold in my truck, which I eliminated with a product called Frigifresh. I sprayed it directly into the plenum intake under the dash. I still have that truck but mold never returned. Bert

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-31-13, 10:15 AM
First, I don't have a problem with mold in my ATS. If you suspect that you do, the only way to be certain that it's mold is to test for it. You can get mold test kits at the home center and you'll need two of them. You want to test the air inside the car, but also, the ambiant air outside. Compare the results of the two tests. If the mold level is higher inside the car then it should be sanitized. If the inside and outside mold levels are the same (there's mold everywhere), then something else is causing the smell. About 10 years ago I had mold in my truck, which I eliminated with a product called Frigifresh. I sprayed it directly into the plenum intake under the dash. I still have that truck but mold never returned. Bert

Hello Bertha D Blues,

Thanks for sharing this knowledge on the forum. I am sure the other members appreciate your insight on the mold issue and what you did you solve it!

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

amunderdog
05-31-13, 10:53 AM
http://youtu.be/VrVc_FXrbHY

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-31-13, 10:54 AM
I am also noticing a mold stink when I first start the car. I have tried some tests by turning the ac off before shutting the car off and it reduces or eliminates the smell when I get back in. This result tells me that there might be an issue with the system condensation or moisture left over after shutdown.

Hello ATS_maxblack,

I am sorry you are also experiencing a mold smell when you start your vehicle. Bertha D Blues did offer some good insight on getting a mold test kit with following procedures. Please reach out to us if you would like to discuss any concerns or issues.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

GL13ATS
06-09-13, 11:29 AM
I am also having the funky smell on start up from the air conditioning. It clears up after 10 seconds or so, but I agree we should not be having this issue from brand new cars. Please keep us posted on what you find out from the dealers.

cdp
06-09-13, 12:18 PM
I have the musty smell upon start up as well. Goes away after a few seconds. Will ask dealer to look into it at my next service.

NoVA_ATS
07-12-13, 10:21 AM
Mine started doing it too after a bad storm. History with other GM's (2010 Buick Lacrosse, 2006 Impala, etc.) tells me its the Cabin Air filter and it needs to be replaced. I ordered one from RockAuto and will swap out as soon as it arrives. When I have results (hopefully next week), I will post.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-12-13, 11:43 AM
Mine started doing it too after a bad storm. History with other GM's (2010 Buick Lacrosse, 2006 Impala, etc.) tells me its the Cabin Air filter and it needs to be replaced. I ordered one from RockAuto and will swap out as soon as it arrives. When I have results (hopefully next week), I will post.

Hello NoVA_ATS,

I apologize for any trouble you have been having with your vehicle and its moldy air conditioning. I see you have ordered a part to switch out the cabin air filter. I will be sure to look out for your update on the situation. If you would like to further discuss any concern or if you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

bluecrayon
07-16-13, 11:02 PM
Same issue here....recently noticed it with hot weather. Parking after using a/c then upon startup, smells funny then goes away after 10 seconds.

NoVA_ATS
07-21-13, 10:04 AM
So I replaced the cabin air filter, and it definitely got better. Not completely fixed, but maybe it just needs to run a few times.

The part number for the air filter is CF185. I bought mine from Rock Auto for approx. $13. I think you can get the filter replaced by Cadillac for free, but I live too far away for take it there for a small thing like this, and it is pretty simple, once you figure it out...below I have put directions so you don't have to waste too much time.

To replace the cabin air filter, remote the screw in the middle of the CD player. It is a phillips (in all reality it is just a pin). Once you get that pin out, you will notice that there is a washer looking piece of plastic still there, it is the remainder of the clip assembly. That needs to be removed carefully. If you are not able to get it out without tearing it up, take off your trim (the replaceable silver/plum/woodgrain) by taking off two 7mm bolts on the right side, behind the right compartment, and push straight down on the clip to ensure no damage is done to it. Once you have the pin out, the entire CD player/shelf assembly will come straight out towards you. Once you have that out, you will see a black compartments that says DOWN on it. That is the cabin air filter door. Remove it by depressing the clips, and take the airfilter out. Make sure to note which way the airflow is going. Pop the new one in, and put the car back together in the exact reverse.

Good luck!

unclemoose
07-23-13, 09:56 PM
I have the same issue. It's only on start up, but is most definitely a moldy/musty ac smell that goes away after a few seconds. Did anyone else get this issue resolved? Did it come back?

GL13ATS
08-27-13, 07:28 PM
Update: took my car into the dealer in FWB Florida and asked them to change out the cabin air filter. They kept it for a day, but when I picked it up the only thing they did was reprogrammed the HVAC system to “enable after blow feature.” Tech said they called corporate and this was the only fix. They did not change out the filter.
Waiting to see what affect if any this fix has. Basically, seems they realize there is a problem and came up with the after blow feature to dry out the system after turning the car off. (even though they’re saying there is no problem).
If this doesn’t work, I will change out the cabin air filter myself (thanks for the directions NoVA_ATS posted). I may do it anyway just to see what it looks/smells like.

BriansZ
08-27-13, 07:43 PM
We have this same problem. The cadillac dealer set the fan to turn on after the car is off and sprayed something in the system. It was fine for a couple weeks but has returned. We like the car, but this is unacceptable. And it does go away after startup, but we shouldn't have to deal with this on a new $40k+ car. My wife recently made another appointment to get this looked at but judging from this thread I see others have the same problem.

JavaGirl
08-28-13, 01:30 AM
This is what I do to take care of it: when I get within a minute of my destination, I turn off the AC button in the middle of CUE, but leave the fan on at least 1/2 blast for the last minute to blow out the vents without any chilled air being used. Then when I use the car the next time, all is okay.

This is not nice for a luxury automobile, but it does give a work-around...

Illini333
09-02-13, 07:43 AM
I have the same issue as well for the first 5 seconds when I start the car. I have never had this issue with a car before and am surprised a luxury car would have it. I have noticed if I shut off the a/c a minute before my destination and put the fan on full blast it seems to help when I start my car. The issue is I live in Austin where the temp is always around or above 100 so it gets a little warm in the car. Frustrating.......

flycaster
09-04-13, 05:25 PM
Got the same problem here in SoFL - smell on start up, but disappears after a few seconds. Will bring it up to the dealer tomorrow.

NVHGuru
09-04-13, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but I have a moldy smell which seems worst when I get in the car. I thought it may be just the "new car smell", but I have had my ATS for 3 months and it is not getting any better. It may seem strange, but I think it is coming from the leather steering wheel cover as I can smell it on my hands after driving for a while. I will investigate closely for a few more days then talk to my dealer. Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

briterco
09-06-13, 04:43 PM
We purchased the ATS Nov 2012. Started noticing the same musty smell this summer. Took it in to the dealer (we've bought 10 Caddies from them). First attempt they tried to clean out the HVAC and the deodorizer they sprayed made it smell worse. The musty smell never went away. Took it back last week. They have had to take out the WHOLE dash, center console and passenger seat out. (that is our car in the pic!) They are replacing something plus all the insulation because some condensation has soaked in. The service mechanic we spoke with said it looks like a design flaw where a line can get pushed into a condensation pan internally so it isn't draining properly and water sits there, getting moldy. He also said it can't be seen when it is reassembled so he can't be sure it the line sits correctly or not. Sounds like it might come back again.

Talking to the GM of the dealership, he said one of the other employees there also mentioned having the same smell. Sounds like a major design flaw and if the fix is to to the disassembly like they've done to our ATS, that is a BIG problem for GM!

GJB
09-06-13, 05:32 PM
You are a brave person: :suspense: I would have used air freshener trees before I let them do that to my car. I'm interested if they get humpty back together right, please let us know.

GJB
09-06-13, 08:21 PM
So I replaced the cabin air filter, and it definitely got better. Not completely fixed, but maybe it just needs to run a few times.

The part number for the air filter is CF185. I bought mine from Rock Auto for approx. $13. I think you can get the filter replaced by Cadillac for free, but I live too far away for take it there for a small thing like this, and it is pretty simple, once you figure it out...below I have put directions so you don't have to waste too much time.

To replace the cabin air filter, remote the screw in the middle of the CD player. It is a phillips (in all reality it is just a pin). Once you get that pin out, you will notice that there is a washer looking piece of plastic still there, it is the remainder of the clip assembly. That needs to be removed carefully. If you are not able to get it out without tearing it up, take off your trim (the replaceable silver/plum/woodgrain) by taking off two 7mm bolts on the right side, behind the right compartment, and push straight down on the clip to ensure no damage is done to it. Once you have the pin out, the entire CD player/shelf assembly will come straight out towards you. Once you have that out, you will see a black compartments that says DOWN on it. That is the cabin air filter door. Remove it by depressing the clips, and take the airfilter out. Make sure to note which way the airflow is going. Pop the new one in, and put the car back together in the exact reverse.

Good luck!

Thanks NoVa I was finally able to take out the cd player I never use and get some shelf space and not listen to it spin up when I open the door to boot. I just left the Phillips pin out because that shelf is in there pretty snug and this way its now just a quick filter replacement. I was surprised how dirty mine was in less than 4 months.

UPDATE. Had to put the CD player back in. When I went to drive the car after taking out the player CUE Screen stayed blank, slid the player back in and works great. And that spin sound when you open the door is not the CD player (sounds like its coming from there) so it must be the CUE.

briterco
09-07-13, 02:09 PM
You are a brave person: :suspense: I would have used air freshener trees before I let them do that to my car. I'm interested if they get humpty back together right, please let us know.

We shall see. Didn't actually know the procedure was going to be this extreme. When we went there yesterday, they kept saying "you really don't want to see it".... and they might not have liked that we took a pic. The dealership has been really good so I think they'll get humpty back together. If not, we won a lemon case years ago over an XLR and aren't afraid to go down that path again if we have to.

Robb63
09-07-13, 04:55 PM
Mine just started having this "smell" issue this week. It was two days after I got the car washed (not that I haven't had it washed before!), but it hasn't rained this week so that would be the last time the car got wet (if that is a cause). Mine is a terrible moldy smell for about ten seconds after starting the car with the A/C on.
Any updates from folks dealing with the issue?? I'm going to have to take it to the dealer this week.

GJB
09-07-13, 08:45 PM
We shall see. Didn't actually know the procedure was going to be this extreme. When we went there yesterday, they kept saying "you really don't want to see it".... and they might not have liked that we took a pic. The dealership has been really good so I think they'll get humpty back together. If not, we won a lemon case years ago over an XLR and aren't afraid to go down that path again if we have to.

Briterco, I hear you on the ATS "Extreme Makeover Edition". You have the right attitude, you have been a with them for years and it looks like they are willing to go to "extremes" to fix your issue. You know you have options if things don't go well and that picture can't hurt your case if it went to that (if the dash don't fit you must acquit) makes no sense just had to throw that in. Good on you.

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-07-13, 08:52 PM
Hello everyone,

I see a lot of members on this thread are experiencing this issue. I would be more than happy to assist you in working with the dealership in regards to this issue. I have documented your concerns and forwarded it to a group in our organization. Please private message Laura or myself if you have any concerns regarding this issue. The information we would need would be your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you are working with. You can also reach out to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com. If you do send an email, please be sure to include “ATTN GREG OR LAURA” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to one of us. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

GJB
09-10-13, 11:18 AM

So did the service rep come out and tell you sorry, but we did everything we could but we lost her........

Bryce2.0T
09-10-13, 11:43 PM
Theres not much to do folks... shitty design flaw, thats all

BriansZ
09-11-13, 11:48 AM
My wife's car has been in the dealership since Monday due to this. The first time in I thought it might just be a clogged drain tube, but it seems more complicated. While I agree with Bryce that it's a design flaw, hopefully Cadillac is able to come up with a solution.

Others have mentioned turning the AC compressor off and just running the fan the last few minutes eliminates the odor, so a software update could do that automatically after shutoff. Or, if water is trapped within the system maybe an additional drain will need to be added, but I'm sure once engineering is able to look at it they will get it fixed.

On the other hand, I'm glad this car is a lease. Plus we've had a 3.6 as a loaner, so it's been a good opportunity to compare this car with our 2.0T.

GJB
09-11-13, 11:59 AM
I know they did an HVAC update does anyone know if they updated the program for the fan to run?

BriansZ, So what do you think of your loaner 3.6?

unclemoose
09-11-13, 12:05 PM
I had the hvac update and my smell continued. My guess it's a drainage issue that needs to be fixed, the fan run on would be a short term band aid.

GJB
09-11-13, 12:21 PM
Agree on the short term band aid. My AC sure drains a lot of water so it's not cloged or it would drain/leak into the cabin which would really give a musty smell all the time.

unclemoose
09-11-13, 12:25 PM
Yeah, good point, if it's fully clogged it would eventually get into the ductwork or cabin. It will be interesting to see what the solution its

Cadillac Cust Svc
09-11-13, 02:45 PM
My wife's car has been in the dealership since Monday due to this. The first time in I thought it might just be a clogged drain tube, but it seems more complicated. While I agree with Bryce that it's a design flaw, hopefully Cadillac is able to come up with a solution.

Others have mentioned turning the AC compressor off and just running the fan the last few minutes eliminates the odor, so a software update could do that automatically after shutoff. Or, if water is trapped within the system maybe an additional drain will need to be added, but I'm sure once engineering is able to look at it they will get it fixed.

On the other hand, I'm glad this car is a lease. Plus we've had a 3.6 as a loaner, so it's been a good opportunity to compare this car with our 2.0T.

Hello BriansZ,

I am sorry your wife's vehicle has been at the dealership for a few days trying to resolve the moldy AC concern. Please keep us posted on the outcome after you hear from the dealer. If you would like to further discuss your current situation with us or ever have additional concerns or questions, don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

JavaGirl
09-11-13, 04:16 PM
I don't see how it could be liquid pooling up. If it were, it does not seem that a fan blast for a minute would eliminate it. It seems to me to be just a thin mist of AC condensation that must not be allowed to remain in the duct work. It seems to me that the fan blowing it out removes the mist and does not let the condensation remain on the surface for a long time after turning the car off. Of course I am speculating on what seems logical based on how my car behaves, and really I don't know too much about cars.

So, for those of you who do know a lot about cars, can you explain how other cars are designed to keep this from happening?

Thank you.

briterco
09-15-13, 11:13 AM
So did the service rep come out and tell you sorry, but we did everything we could but we lost her........

Well...we are still waiting on the final outcome. As far as we know, she's still on life support. Tomorrow will be day 18 in the shop. That plus the first time in makes for a total of 20 days. Ohio's lemon law is a total of 30 days in the shop within a 1 year period qualifies to make a claim. We've not heard anything from the dealership on expected completion. They've lent us a sweet XTS in the meantime. We are just letting the days tick away at this point....

GJB
09-15-13, 02:35 PM
Wow I figured you were back in the ATS and chillin..Keep the meter running and you have options while you enjoy the XTS, what's not to like.

Bryce2.0T
09-16-13, 04:00 PM
Sadly, I'm not shocked to hear this. What are they expecting to do? Re design the entire HVAC system? I doubt it. This, as well as the wide spread of AM/FM complaints are 2 things GM is ignoring and not willing to take action upon. I don't care what type of solution the "high speed fan" could fix before the vehicle is turned off. These are 40k+ luxury sports cars. Sorry but using that as a band-aid just won't cut it for me.

bluecrayon
09-16-13, 11:25 PM
I asked about this several weeks ago as well...I was told "it's normal due to an additive put in the system and will go away eventually". Even though I said I'd wait a few months and address it at my first oil change, I'm not convinced it'll go away. I plan on having it checked out when it's in for an oil change in a couple months.

catmando
09-17-13, 12:49 PM
I have asked people from the Cadillac engineering team and the answer I got is this: they are aware of the problem - it is condensation from the ac evaporator core not draining properly and pooling in the evaporator case. Cadillac is working on the appropriate fix and will issue it to dealers once it is finalized.

GJB
09-17-13, 05:47 PM
I asked about this several weeks ago as well...I was told "it's normal due to an additive put in the system and will go away eventually". Even though I said I'd wait a few months and address it at my first oil change, I'm not convinced it'll go away. I plan on having it checked out when it's in for an oil change in a couple months.

Really??? I would call them on that one, a sealed system that has an additive that smells moldy/musty. That up there with me being told FM HD radio is satellite. catmando got it right.

catmando
09-24-13, 01:14 PM
The latest I have heard from Cadillac engineering is that the suspected cause is the drain hose being inserted too far into the condensate drain pan, not allowing all the condensate to drain. I believe and official bulletin will be released to dealers shortly on how to correct the problem.

AtlantaGuy00
10-22-13, 11:56 PM
Any updates? Mine started doing this too. It's pretty funky for about 10 seconds. I remote start the car just to avoid smelling it. The car is a year old and only has 7000 miles on it. Between the noisy heater, creaky seat, and now the smelly a/c I really regret buying this car. I'm thinking of trading it for something else and taking the hit on depreciation.

off1c3r
10-23-13, 12:43 PM
Anyone with a 2014 (late 2013 build) have this issue or is it limited to the 2013s?

DiabloMike
10-23-13, 12:54 PM
fortunately I can live without AC for a month or so down here in SoFla over the 'winter', but there needs to be a fix, soon :)

tnf
10-29-13, 12:25 PM
My dealership found the problem was the drain tube, fixed it, and sprayed something in to fix the mold. Not sure if was a service update but it progressively got worse.

Cadillac Cust Svc
10-29-13, 01:03 PM
My dealership found the problem was the drain tube, fixed it, and sprayed something in to fix the mold. Not sure if was a service update but it progressively got worse.

Hello tnf,

Thank you for sharing this information. I am glad your dealer found the problem with your vehicle and was able to resolve this concern. If additional questions or concerns arise, please contact us so we can assist.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Any updates? Mine started doing this too. It's pretty funky for about 10 seconds. I remote start the car just to avoid smelling it. The car is a year old and only has 7000 miles on it. Between the noisy heater, creaky seat, and now the smelly a/c I really regret buying this car. I'm thinking of trading it for something else and taking the hit on depreciation.

Hello AtlantaGuy00,

I apologize you are unhappy with your vehicle due to your current situation. I understand your frustration due to your vehicle concerns. Please contact me via private message so we can further discuss this and work towards a resolution.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

GJB
10-29-13, 01:09 PM

Was you dealer more specific as to what was wrong with the drain tube and how invasive the procedure is?

DiabloMike
10-29-13, 01:13 PM
Anyone with a 2014 (late 2013 build) have this issue or is it limited to the 2013s?I drove a 14 all weekend while the dealer had mine, and I never noticed the smell...it only had 5K miles on it, and may not have developed the issue yet however.

JavaGirl
10-29-13, 01:45 PM
I drove a 14 all weekend while the dealer had mine, and I never noticed the smell...it only had 5K miles on it, and may not have developed the issue yet however.

My 2014 has the stinky AC. It started a day or two after I bought it.

Caddy16
10-29-13, 05:21 PM
I've waited on this moment and finally, I get my new caddy. And it stinks to high heaven. What in the world is going on. I'm too embarrassed to ride anyone. I have sprayed Lysol and bought all kinds of scents and put in there and it still stinks. If they can't fix it, it will have to go. I can't afford it.

off1c3r
10-29-13, 06:08 PM
I drove a 14 all weekend while the dealer had mine, and I never noticed the smell...it only had 5K miles on it, and may not have developed the issue yet however.

My 2014 has the stinky AC. It started a day or two after I bought it.

Thanks. Who knows? Maybe it was fixed at the factory (late 2013 builds) already for all future models. That's good hope for all the current owners. You know how it is. Its extremely fast to fix the issue for future builds, but the real time and investment comes when the bulletin and fix is issued for dealers.

GJB
10-29-13, 06:14 PM
My driveway is on a pretty good incline and when I pull in it drains a fair amount of water so my guess is if it were not for that incline water wood pool in the drip pan and cause the musty smell.

Bryce2.0T
10-30-13, 06:26 PM
Hurry up Cadillac, make a damn TSB lol

louie1487
10-30-13, 09:03 PM
I went to the dealer and they had an update for this issue. The update will allow the blower motor to run after thecar has been turned off to air out the vents to prevent buildup.

ewired
10-30-13, 09:48 PM
I went to the dealer and they had an update for this issue. The update will allow the blower motor to run after thecar has been turned off to air out the vents to prevent buildup.
Has anyone confirmed this. I have had the update for awhile. I have never heard the blower motor keep or come after shutdown.

I usually force the interior recirculation on then use auto after that and adjust temp up/ down to control fan speed.

off1c3r
10-31-13, 07:53 AM

That doesn't seem like a fix to me. More like a cover.

Bryce2.0T
11-01-13, 04:37 PM
That doesn't seem like a fix to me. More like a cover.

Nailed it....

GJB
11-01-13, 04:41 PM
Nailed it....

In the IT world we just call it a work around.

redbbq
11-17-13, 02:41 PM
Hey you moldy AC people. Here is a product that may help. It looks like its made in Germany and for professional use specifically to kill stuff that grows on the AC condenser. I don't have any experience with this but thought it may benefit some folks here. Check out the product description and reviews on Amazon. This could be a way to mitigate the problem. Please report back if this works. Good luck.

Einszett Klima Cleaner
"A professional air conditioner cleaner that effectively removes odors caused by mold, fungus, pollen, nicotine and dust. While other products mask odors, Klima-Cleaner uses active foam to directly clean and remove odor causing agents from the evaporator core of the air conditioner system for fresh and clean air that lasts for months. Klima-Cleaner is applied by removing the blower fan and inserting the supplied spray tube through the intake vent which leads directly to the evaporator. For best results, apply every 3-6 months. Klima-Cleaner is water-based and does not contain any harsh chemicals. Recommended for professional application only. On certain vehicle makes, damage may occur if product is not applied properly. If uncertain about application, have a certified mechanic apply product or use einszett 911104 Klima-Cleaner Easy-To-Use (ETU) which doesn't require any disassembly."

http://www.amazon.com/einszett-961105-Klima-Cleaner-Professional/dp/B0002Z2MKO

flycaster
11-18-13, 09:36 AM
I've had the HVAC update, but the blower doesn't run after the car is shut off. Perhaps, one has to ask for this?
Anyway, as I've seen several utube videos (eg, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzYlp9dm7AI) from "professionals" who recommend blowing a Lysol type product into the external cabin air intake ducts, I'm thinking that although this is temporary, it does seem to work. However, before I use Lysol, I'd first like to know if Lysol will do any damage to the parts it comes in contact with? Yeah, I know this is temporary relief, but what the hell, it is an easy enough workaround.

flycaster
11-18-13, 09:09 PM
Making this a separate post. Had to speak to my dealership's GM about an insurance policy problem, and then asked him for the skinny on the stinky AC issue. He said that his dealership had found the fix, and their fix was adopted by Caddy. Although the fix was already mentioned in this thread (catmando, #46), I'd like to re-inforce it: The drain hose is inserted too far into the condensate drain pan, not allowing all the condensate to drain. The dealership will adjust the drain hose to its proper length.

JavaGirl
11-18-13, 09:32 PM
When will this be rolled out into a TSB by GM for all other dealerships?

flycaster
11-18-13, 09:41 PM
I have no idea, but would suggest that you speak to your dealership about this fix. My dealership's GM definitely told me that Caddy was adopting his fix.

glenroebuck
11-19-13, 10:14 AM
Nice I too have the EWWWW what is that smell problem when it first starts up.

General Lee 01
11-27-13, 10:15 PM
Cadillac dealerships all have a repair bulletin for this. Call them and make a service appointment and they will fix it. Had mine done this past summer. Call them and they know exactly what to do to fix it. There is no mystery to solve here.

GJB
11-28-13, 10:09 AM
Cadillac dealerships all have a repair bulletin for this. Call them and make a service appointment and they will fix it. Had mine done this past summer. Call them and they know exactly what to do to fix it. There is no mystery to solve here.

I've checked the TSBs and the only one that addresses this issues has them use the spray that kills the mold/smell. Do you know the TSB #?

flycaster
11-28-13, 11:41 AM
I've checked the TSBs and the only one that addresses this issues has them use the spray that kills the mold/smell. Do you know the TSB #?

Yeah, spraying is a quick, but a very temporary and potentially harmful fix for the smell issue. I say harmful because the spraying most likely doesn't get everything (probably unless you spray weekly, a definite PITA) and eventually there will be a build up of bacteria and mold that can reach unhealthy levels. I say if you have the smell, don't wait, have faith in the tranny/exhaust fix...if you trust your dealership to do the job right.

General Lee 01
12-01-13, 11:36 AM

Bulletin# 99-01-39-004D. Paperwork states "a/c drain misalignment, pulled carpet back, check the drain as per bulletin, realign drain as per bulletin, for this complaint deodorize the hvac box with part# 12377952 as per bulletin# 99-01-39-004D."

I think the hose gets fixed and then they spray to kill what has already grown in there.

cadilover96
12-22-13, 10:21 AM
I just bought my ATS in September and I noticed a moldy smell this week. Way to soon to have issues such as this.

catmando
03-17-14, 02:12 PM
I believe PIC5730 is the repair bulletin that addresses the drain hose. There is also a change to the logic to allow the blower to run to dry out the drain pan after the car stops. It will come on about ten minutes after the car is turned off and run for five minutes or so. These two fixes should take care of the problem in most cases. To fix the drain hose properly, the culprit should be replaced with part number 2312009, not just rearrange the original hose.

nyinstaller
03-17-14, 03:29 PM
I have went to the dealership and have had the drain FIX or no so much fix.

more than 2 months since all that was done and still have the mold smell on start up.

DiabloMike
03-17-14, 08:51 PM

more than 2 months since all that was done and still have the mold smell on start up.really?
That sucks. Glad I didn't get it done.

Johan said his dads is still doing it too....summer is coming fast, we need non stinky A/C!

Cadillac Cust Svc
03-18-14, 10:27 AM

more than 2 months since all that was done and still have the mold smell on start up.

Hi nyinstaller,

I am sorry to hear that the fix did not correct the mold smell in your car. If you would like, I can look into the issue and contact the dealership on your behalf regarding a follow-up visit. If you can send me a PM with your VIN and contact information I can open a case for you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

nyinstaller
03-19-14, 11:56 AM
Hi nyinstaller, I am sorry to hear that the fix did not correct the mold smell in your car. If you would like, I can look into the issue and contact the dealership on your behalf regarding a follow-up visit. If you can send me a PM with your VIN and contact information I can open a case for you. Hope to hear from you soon. Austin J. Cadillac Customer Care

Sent

rolyzglobe
03-24-14, 11:30 AM
I am having the same exact issue. I have had my car for about 4 months and noticed the issue began about a month ago. When I first start the car, a vinegar like smell comes out of the A/C. I have to run the A/C for about 20 seconds for the smell to leave. The smell got so bad that I made a appointment at the dealer to have it fixed.

I have also recently been suffering from dizzyness and it also began around the same time the issue started. I hope it is not related to any mold problems. Either way, I will also be checking with my doctor.

I will let you know what my dealer tells me.