: Drive Train Noise (Drone)

USAFRET
04-16-13, 11:16 AM
My 2011 V A6 coupe since the day I bought has made a loud and annoying noise in the drive train. Between 35 and 55 MPH it's a constant DRONE (not a whine or grinding sound). I can't tell if it's the rear diff, a wheel bearing etc. It's at the dealer now for a test drive.

Has anyone else experienced something similar and can help pinpoint the cause. Oh and it's not the engine or exhaust as I can put the car into neutral and the sound continues.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

PS: As it sits the car has 4854 miles on it.

Peaderh
04-16-13, 12:56 PM
Had the same noise, At first i thought it was tire noise. I took it to my dealer and had the rear diff replaced under warranty (2012 Wagon ) problem solved. What a huge improvement.
I had 11,200 miles on it when i bought it.

1997BlackETC
04-16-13, 02:32 PM
Ya, I just had my Differential Carrier replaced in my 2013 Wagon. It's a common issue and there is a TSB out on it for a number of different GM vehicles including our V's. If you don't break in these rear ends right they are going to make noise and with the V's a lot of the time people romp on the cars way too early and you get stuck with the noise until the rear end carrier is changed out. Make sure if you do get it changed to go real easy on your car for at least 500 miles and vary your speeds.

USAFRET
04-16-13, 05:57 PM
Just returned from the dealer after picking up my V Coupe, because it has been raining buckets here in St Louis they opted not to take my V for a test drive. I'll wait until better weather and then return for a test drive.

Thanks for the info and I'll file it away, could you provide me the TSB # so I can be armed to do battle if necessary.

Thanks

Tom

Trapspeed
04-16-13, 08:57 PM
I'm banking on the rear end. You are describing almost to a "T" what mine is doing. My new diff is enroute.

sfvagon
04-16-13, 11:51 PM
Same issue here but had it diagnosed as Tire Noise after a test drive with the dealer. It's not particularly loud at the moment... does it get louder over time?

1997BlackETC
04-17-13, 02:13 AM
The TSB is PIP3051F ; Howl/whine noise from rear axle; Howl or whine noise from the rear axle on accel and / or decel. the noise is most noticeable at speeds between 35-50 MPH but may be heard at other speeds as well.

Heres the part number, the upper is for the automatics with the 3.23 gears and the 6 speed below with the 3.73 gears, a little more money. http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=811987&ukey_product=6381797 I though about seeing if I could pay extra and have them do it with the 3.73 gears in my automatic but then I thought about gas mileage, lol. I'm sure the answer woulda been no anyhow because they can't go putting in a part that's not called for when the car is in for a warrantee repair.