: Crunching numbers

DetailedDTS
04-15-13, 09:21 PM
Hello all, potential DTS owner here.

Current ride is an 02 Grand Prix GT 75K miles. Been a very good car for me for the last 11 years. Still runs like a new watch but has issues. Right now I got roughly $1500 wrapped in it just this year alone doing the work myself replacing various parts. I figure it's going to need another $800 roughly worth of work, if not now, definetly when summer sets in. Car is paid for. It still needs ball joints which I will have a shop do, some shocks, a tune up and new tires. After that it should be set.

I spotted an 08 DTS Performance not too far from me with 46K miles for $18K Have not seen nor driven the car yet. Carfax came back clean. Looks cherry by the pictures. Right now I can get into it for $230/month for 72 months trading the Grand Prix.

For me it's a 6 of 1 or half dozen of the other deals. Go for the DTS or dish it out with the GP alittle longer? Thanks in advance

ral1960
04-15-13, 10:05 PM
We're a little bit biased here.

I just paid $22.9k for a 2008 Performance Platinum with 43k at CarMax, which thinks a lot of their cars and not much about other people's. Kelly Blue book added $2500 for the Platinum edition, so I think that's a fair price if the car is in good shape. Used car dealers always put on cheap tires, which the DeVille/DTS do not like much, so look out for vibrations at highway speeds. Be sure the expensive shocks are in good shape--a good price is ~$400 a piece.

I averaged 20 mpg on my first tankful of mostly highway miles, so you're going to pay more for gas.

But you don't drive very much in a year--will you get your money's worth out of the car? It is, after all, 5 years old already. Financially, it usually makes more sense to drive a car into the ground before replacing it, but the aggravation gets to me first. I didn't like my Intrigue (similar to Grand Prix) much, so selling it when the A/C went bad was easy. It had a lot of small issues (brakes, batteries, intermediate shaft, rain pouring in on floor), but the engine ran great at 150k.

frostsdad
04-15-13, 11:40 PM
I love my 09 dts. And I have gotten almost 28 mpg highway. Which is great for a v8. Can't beat the ride. Found one that was very well cared for with a CPO warranty with 20k for $26. There are some really good deals out there. This one is not a platinum or performance. I have luxury 3 and I am pleased. It doesn't match up to my 06 sts v8 but I didn't expect it to ... Much bigger car with a smaller engine ... So acceleration and handling is no contest. I loved the sts .... I "like" the dts. :-). If you can afford it grab a good deal and you will be happy. I tend to buy my cadillacs with cpos because I have had the bells and whistles go and they are expensive to replace when out of warranty. I know my two Lexus previously beat the caddy in the reliability arena but there is just something more comfortable about a Cadillac. This is my 4th one.

ral1960
04-16-13, 12:23 AM
The DTS and V8 STS are actually very close in weight, and the STS has a slightly longer wheelbase--but it's narrower and ~10" shorter. I found it a little cramped and very stiff after 6 years in a DeVille. It was enjoyable to drive only when I was going too fast.

Aside from being significantly larger than a Grand Prix, the DTS has quite a large turning radius that can make it difficult to park sometimes--it can be a multi-step process. Not a good car for parking garages.

DetailedDTS
04-16-13, 03:28 AM
We're a little bit biased here.

Naturally:D

The DTS and V8 STS are actually very close in weight, and the STS has a slightly longer wheelbase--but it's narrower and ~10" shorter. I found it a little cramped and very stiff after 6 years in a DeVille. It was enjoyable to drive only when I was going too fast.

One of the reasons I look to the DTS. I'm 6'3" the GP is ok for around town and sort trips. Longer trips become cramped, stopping to stretch becomes a necessity but also a nuisance.

Aside from being significantly larger than a Grand Prix, the DTS has quite a large turning radius that can make it difficult to park sometimes--it can be a multi-step process. Not a good car for parking garages.

I live in pretty much farm country so, parking isn't much of an issue here.

Superjim
04-16-13, 01:37 PM
I bought my first 2006 DTS in October of 2005...
In November of 2006 it burnt up when my garage caught on fire.
It had almost 40,000 on it at that time.... We loved it and took several looonng road trips... :) :)

I then bought the 2006 that I have now, in December of 2006.
It was new, but the 2007's had already came out and I got a good deal on the 2006.
It now has almost 130,000 on it and I still love it.
I look for reasons to drive it... :)

Texas Jim

RicktheRealtor
04-16-13, 02:18 PM
I bought my first 2006 DTS in October of 2005...
In November of 2006 it burnt up when my garage caught on fire.
It had almost 40,000 on it at that time.... We loved it and took several looonng road trips... :) :)

I then bought the 2006 that I have now, in December of 2006.
It was new, but the 2007's had already came out and I got a good deal on the 2006.
It now has almost 130,000 on it and I still love it.
I look for reasons to drive it... :)

Texas Jim Just out of curiosity, what percentage of depreciation did the insurance company adjust off your first DTS after 13 months?

bigsahad
04-16-13, 02:23 PM
I paid 14,500 for a 2006 dts performance with 49k on it one owner previous owner passed away he hit the garage here and there ....also had one accident but car was in great condition serviced at the caddi dealer thru out......its my only vehicle and I love it....when dts owners see that Red beauty they fall n love with it....Grab that caddi....asap

DetailedDTS
04-16-13, 05:04 PM
When I first starting looking at the DTS, I was suprised at how low the resale value is for them. Not complaining, but that's a huge advantage for me. Which also tells me dealers probably aren't really to wheel and deal on them. Am I right?

ral1960
04-16-13, 07:30 PM
I imagine they mark them up as much as other cars, so there's plenty of wiggle room.

DeVille/DTS prices are low partly from the Northstar headgasket problem, which 2005+ don't have, but the reputation lingers. Also, many went to rental and corporate fleets at much lower than retail prices and came out even lower. Few were sold anywhere near MSRP when new, since the demand for big sedans has declined for decades. Then there are the RWD and Imported snobs.

Superjim
04-16-13, 10:06 PM
Just out of curiosity, what percentage of depreciation did the insurance company adjust off your first DTS after 13 months?

We argued for about 3 weeks over what they were offering...
They kept raising what they offered and we were almost in agreement.
Then they brought in an outside appraiser and said his number would be their final offer.
He added another $9,000 to their offer telling then that was the difference between a base car and my Performance model.... but what he didn't know is that me and the ins co were already using the Performance Model in our negotiations...
They made a big mistake in my favor... and I kinda forgot to tell them about it...LOL LOL

They gave me $42,500 for it and I bought the next one (it was brand new) for $42,500.

RicktheRealtor
04-16-13, 10:39 PM
We argued for about 3 weeks over what they were offering...
They kept raising what they offered and we were almost in agreement.
Then they brought in an outside appraiser and said his number would be their final offer.
He added another $9,000 to their offer telling then that was the difference between a base car and my Performance model.... but what he didn't know is that me and the ins co were already using the Performance Model in our negotiations...
They made a big mistake in my favor... and I kinda forgot to tell them about it...LOL LOL

They gave me $42,500 for it and I bought the next one (it was brand new) for $42,500. That's great! I'm glad things worked out for you. Generally when a car is totalled, you always lose. We all know that depreciation sucks on those first few years. Glad that you conveniently "forgot" to remind them. LOL

Superjim
04-16-13, 10:49 PM
That's great! I'm glad things worked out for you. Generally when a car is totalled, you always lose. We all know that depreciation sucks on those first few years. Glad that you conveniently "forgot" to remind them. LOL

Yeah... the car had a list price right at $55,000.
The first offer from the ins co was $29K...
I declined that offer... LOL

Tom's Caddy
04-17-13, 01:45 PM
I love my GTP it has over 247000KM on it and runs like new, but it is NOT a CADILLAC DTS. Day and night you will love you're DTS, I LOVE MINE. I think $230 x 72 = $ 16560 is a great price.:yup:

rebel7254
04-24-13, 04:28 PM
$18k seems like a pretty good price for an 08 Performance with 46k. I paid $19k for mine in January and it had 60k, but there weren't very many DTS's near my area and I'm pretty impatient when I start car shopping. This one also had the split bench front seats I wanted. The fact that it was a Luxury III also appealed to me, because they're not very common. I would have considered the Performance model, but Cadillac didn't make any of them with split bench front seats and they also do slightly worse on gas mileage.

Wow, I just did a search on AutoTrader and there are a lot less DTS's within 100 miles of here than there were in January. I guess it's a good thing I got this one when I did!

Anyway, I say go for the trade and get the DTS, provided it has a clean history. That looks like a pretty good deal...better than the one I got, that's for sure.

DetailedDTS
04-28-13, 09:18 PM
Sorry to keep everyone hanging here.

Was able to test drive a couple DTS on spotted on Autotrader. I was actually disappointed by the DTS. Not much more room than my GP. Plush everything no doubt but I'm going to have to say no to it. The 3 that I drove all had this whining sound coming from the tranny, I wasn't too impressed with that.

Back to the drawing board I guess. Worth a shot, probably wind up getting a truck. Thanks everyone who gave advice

ral1960
04-29-13, 12:50 AM
The first DTS I drove was disappointing, too, and I ruled it out in favor of the STS--big, expensive mistake. It sounded like there was a leak in the firewall in front of the driver. The interior left me cold--ugly fake wood and pebbly plastic.

The column shift models feel roomier, though the front seats are the same size. For that reason, and the horizontal dash lines, my DeVille felt wider inside, despite being darker.

The Performance model drives significantly differently from the regular DTS--much more responsive, without being harsh.