: Transmission skipping.

maiahsdad
04-15-13, 07:59 PM
Guy at the dealer said that there is a mechanism in the transmission that keeps it from skipping.

Does that sound right?

orange57
04-15-13, 08:01 PM
still not sure what you mean by skipping...

maiahsdad
04-15-13, 08:31 PM
still not sure what you mean by skipping...

Like that old feeling when a clutch slips on a manual transmission. I'm not sure I'm feeling something like that, but I've seen transmissions that lag between gears, and the harder you press on the accelerator, the more it will slip.

dkozloski
04-15-13, 08:57 PM
It sounds like he's talking about a torque converter lock-up shift.

maiahsdad
06-05-13, 02:06 PM
It sounds like he's talking about a torque converter lock-up shift.

Sounds like someone's rising the clutch between first and second gear.

dkozloski
06-05-13, 03:07 PM
Do you mean riding the clutch?

maiahsdad
06-05-13, 03:42 PM
Do you mean riding the clutch?

Yup.

dkozloski
06-05-13, 04:24 PM
Your transmission is slipping between 1st and 2nd gear?

maiahsdad
06-05-13, 05:30 PM
Your transmission is slipping between 1st and 2nd gear?

That's what it seems like, although very little. It's like, when I'm driving, before the car slips into second gear, I can feel the rpm's raise just a little bit before it drops into second year. This might even be normal.

EChas3
06-05-13, 08:16 PM
It may need an updated TCM program. Cadillac released many programs trying to address different issues. Some correct harsh shifts; for those that prefer them silky smooth? What clutch wear can be expected?

Others prefer quick, positive shifts, even if a bit intrusive. Next, define a curve to that spectrum based on throttle position. Finally, after the real world experience of buyer feedback and warranty service claims, adjust the programming to please the majority.

It's worth a shot. If you're without a warranty, a transmission repair can be daunting.

orange57
06-05-13, 09:47 PM
Complete swap at my dealer was just under $3k. Trans costs Bout $2k new, but you can get them remaned for around $1500

Guy.Seminerio
06-05-13, 11:47 PM
By the way I have this same issue when going from 3 to 4th. I have a thread open about it in the v forum. It's been identified as "shift flare." There's one other guy who has it but from 1 to 2 I think. E chase 3's recommendation about the update is my first step.

dkozloski
06-06-13, 12:27 AM
Keep in mind that the TCM adapts to your driving habits and learns as you go. A good start might be to do the old battery disconnect trick which will reset the adaption process to original. If it goes away you'll know it's learned behavior.

Guy.Seminerio
06-06-13, 01:15 AM
Yes good point. That was the first thing that was recommended and I already did that and no dice. Problem still existed but that advice is right in line with what fellow v members advised.

----------

So maybe it's not the tcm thing after all. Might actually be a mechanical issue. Ill eventually get to the bottom of it. Fun part is it's intermittent so showing the problem to the service guys will be tons of fun. And they'll think they fixed it, drive it, won't get the flare, give it back, charge me and the next day it'll happen again. It's gonna be a fun one. Well the powertrain warranty is still in so I guess they won't charge me.

----------

Or they'll somehow relate it to my headlight and charge me because headlights aren't covered in the powertrain! That's a shout out to you rnkath08! I feel for you.

maiahsdad
10-22-13, 06:54 PM
Now it's starting to skip from 3 to 5 when not feeding it much. Sound like it'll jump from 3 to 5, then remember that it skipped 4 and go back and get it. But if I take off faster, it'll shift normal.

And when I shift from D to R to back up, it takes about 3 seconds for it to get in gear.

Charles Warren
10-23-13, 06:00 AM
Any worn out mounts? I have the surging up hills but a lil gas it stops.

EChas3
10-23-13, 10:33 PM
And when I shift from D to R to back up, it takes about 3 seconds for it to get in gear.

If this gets worse this Winter, it's very bad news.

Good luck.

curtc
10-23-13, 11:41 PM
If this gets worse this Winter, it's very bad news.

Good luck.

What would that tell you? Shot diff?

EChas3
10-24-13, 08:37 PM
Classic sign of GM automatic transmission failure is increasing delays when shifting to reverse; especially when cold. The only solution I've ever heard is rebuild. These may be completely different.

I think a member found a refurb 5-speed for $1,700. Maybe it's just a leak.

maiahsdad
10-25-13, 03:03 PM
Maybe it's just a leak. hope so.

maiahsdad
11-02-13, 09:54 AM
The mechanics shop did not indicate any kind of week. I told them to check all fluids, and they said not to worry about it. That's what worries me. But I don't see anything leaking in the garage be there. Question. What does the sD mean on the instrument panel when I shift the selector to the right? Does it introduce a different characteristic for the transmission?

1BadCadSTS
11-02-13, 10:10 AM
In the manual it would tell you you've selected sport shift mode which does in fact delay shifting and make them more firmer. I suggest you take some time instead of the time used to post here and read the manual. Your car is exhibiting nothing wrong. It's performing as intended.

1BadCadSTS
11-02-13, 11:40 AM
Sorry if I came off brash it was not my intention. To clarify S signifies sport mode. During this PAS performance algorithm shifting is highened as well as transmission fluid pressure. This will result in delayed response shifts and higher shift points to keep the car higher in the rpm band for more instant response when you hit the gas. It's similar to putting a shift kit in your auto tranny.

maiahsdad
12-07-13, 11:56 AM
I just noticed this morning, that when driving up steep hills the transmission does not easily kick down to a lower gear to support the load. I have to press it pretty hard to get it to skip down to a lower gear. It gives me the feeling like it won't release the lock up easily. Also, I feel like it locks up to early.

1BadCadSTS
12-07-13, 12:26 PM
I just noticed this morning, that when driving up steep hills the transmission does not easily kick down to a lower gear to support the load. I have to press it pretty hard to get it to skip down to a lower gear. It gives me the feeling like it won't release the lock up easily. Also, I feel like it locks up to early.

Go to the dealer an complain about chuggle. Dealer will reflash the TCM with a new cal. It helps a little bit.

dannyquest
12-07-13, 02:31 PM
I had a chuggle with my car. The caddy dealer reflashed the TCM. It only helped to reduce the money in my billfold by $129. bucks. Then the fix was new torque converter. Danny

maiahsdad
12-07-13, 02:35 PM
Go to the dealer an complain about chuggle. Dealer will reflash the TCM with a new cal. It helps a little bit. just left there. The service manger didn't know what "Chuggle" is. She asked and no one knew. They say they will check.

And when I take foot off gas at slower speeds, I feel a thump. Kinda like that feeling when a mount isn't secure.

maiahsdad
03-16-14, 11:52 PM
Just payed attention to my car today. Noticed that when it's really cold out, it will hang in gears MUCH longer than normal. When it finally changes, it doesn't snap or jerk. It's a normal, smooth shift. But the RPMs are higher because of staying in gear longer. Any reason for concern?

Guy.Seminerio
03-17-14, 12:47 AM
I don't think so. This has been the case for all cars I've driven.

maiahsdad
03-17-14, 05:58 AM
I don't think so. This has been the case for all cars I've driven.but not me. I'm not sure why I wild ride in 1st gear up to 2600RPM before it slides into 2nd.

Ludacrisvp
03-17-14, 11:06 AM
How cold is cold?
Cars will make the trans stay in lower gear to force higher RPM to warm up the engine faster.

dannyquest
03-17-14, 07:06 PM
Maybe it's time to trade the car in while still running. Replacing the transmission & torque converter would be half the car value. Danny

CadiTamer
03-19-14, 07:38 AM
Just payed attention to my car today. Noticed that when it's really cold out, it will hang in gears MUCH longer than normal. When it finally changes, it doesn't snap or jerk. It's a normal, smooth shift. But the RPMs are higher because of staying in gear longer. Any reason for concern?

This is perfectly normal. When the car is cold, it'll delay the shifts and not lock up the torque converter. It's an attempt to warm up the engine and transmission faster so your heater will work and gas gauge will drop slower :)

maiahsdad
04-12-14, 09:06 AM
ECM flash, tranny flush, and repaired left motor mount that I snapped when I toasted the V8 Challenger (Dodge) last month, fixed my problem. Shifts perfectly. Hope it stays this way.

fly187
04-15-14, 11:45 AM
I had a similar problem with my old ford explorer. Dealer wanted to rebuild the transmission, and felt that was to much for the problem. Did some research and ended up dropping the pan and switched two transmission control solenoids for the gear I was having the slippage. Put it back together and drove it. Well guess what. I slipped in another gear. Bought a new transmission solenoid and replaced bad one. And 4 years later transmission runs as good as it was new. Spent about 100 between the solenoid and fluid over 2500 to re build it.