: New CTS-V Competition Widebody Sedan

Dr. Design
04-15-13, 04:50 PM
Hello,
We are putting some of the finishing touches on a new build, but wanted to share some quick images from this weekends Cadillac Challenge event.

Here are some fun facts:
335 rear tire
315 front tire

http://d3groupinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Converted_B1D4581_small.jpg
http://d3groupinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Competition-Widebody_D3_small.jpg

More information to follow.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Rule12b
04-15-13, 06:07 PM
Actually, I think the rear slick will be a 345. I'm just sayin'. . .;-)

Random84
04-15-13, 06:33 PM
Now who wants to be the first to pay for it, and then tell us all how long it takes to actually get it? :D

Cadzilla8
04-15-13, 06:38 PM
I saw the photos on Facebook of that car. That's so sick and the decals are actually good looking

Dr. Design
04-15-13, 06:39 PM
Once a proper payment or deposit is made and the vehicle is scheduled for installation, you are looking at 4-6 weeks.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Now who wants to be the first to pay for it, and then tell us all how long it takes to actually get it? :D

daowens
04-15-13, 07:21 PM
Once a proper payment or deposit is made and the vehicle is scheduled for installation, you are looking at 4-6 years.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Not bad...

Dr. Design
04-15-13, 09:31 PM
:histeric: I see what you did there. LOL

Not bad...

If there is anyone that has actual questions about this build, please let us know. We think it is a pretty awesome build that shows someones personal dedication and commitment to the Cadillac platform. Obviously the owner of this vehicle could have chosen from a variety of other platforms to race, but he chose a Cadillac. That is pretty cool and it's great to have a platform like the forums to share it with the rest of the community, especially those that appreciate and understand the efforts.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Rule12b
04-15-13, 09:40 PM
Well, I was first. The time estimate is spot on actually. In fact, it might have taken less time if I hadn't also been putting in a full cage and making other modifications at the same time. The quality of the workmanship on the body is simply unequaled. I'm more than extremely satisfied. There are a few final bits and pieces coming together, as it says. But those are more a result of my finicky-ness and the fact that I'm running a prototype exhaust from Corsa that is making this first edition truly a custom outing.

Also, that's a wrap, not decals for the most part. Paint would look even better. But I have sponsors to keep happy so the wrap was a much better way to go. If I "privatize" my racing efforts again, I might just paint it again. The bodywork is so great looking, I feel almost bad camoflaging it under the patterned wrap, even though I love the design.

It's a new design from the first sedan widebody that D3 did and to my mind, an improvement. I was happy to blaze the trail, and if no one follows, I'm happy to be unique too. :-) Running a 18x13 rear wheel makes it verrrrry satisfying at the track indeed.

And I do have to add, with this set up, I held the pole position in the advanced run groups all day long at Buttonwillow. Against two GT3's that arrived at track in an 18-wheeler and two GTR's. And I wasn't even the fasted CTS-V out there that day (two others in another group were faster still, by a little ;-)). I drove those Porsche guys OUT of their minds all day long as they tried to catch me. Yes, I've done BMW and AMG, but it's the Caddy that's really taken over and become what I LOVE flogging at the track and making others take notice, much to their chagrin. This was a natural evolution. :-)

And, I've never had better support from a finer tuner and shop. Even they will admit to hiccups as they grow, but D3 is the best, period. Not perfect, none are, but the intelligence and passion they bring to the table for V's is praiseworthy. They have some other-worldy mechanics. Ive dealt with more shops over the years than I'll care to admit. Greg and Seb at Specialty Z were solid for a 700 rwhp twin turbo Z, others for other platforms, not so much. As for D3, if it wasn't for them, my passion for the Caddy might have leveled off some time ago.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/Rule12b/_I4A0886_filtered_zps2acf7f46.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Rule12b/media/_I4A0886_filtered_zps2acf7f46.jpg.html)

Random84
04-16-13, 07:54 AM
The design looks fantastic for sure (I'd love a widebody wagon) - unfortunately, Rule12b, I expect the cynicism to continue to follow given the seemingly common experiences other members have posted about regarding D3's customer service and shipping delays.

Your excellent experiences seem to be the exception, rather than the rule - but hopefully more D3 customers will provide feedback in the future (whether positive or negative)!

But again, from someone peeping in the window... D3 makes some very nice stuff. :D

CJCTSV
04-16-13, 12:15 PM
Not bad...

Without upsetting the world, yeah, right.

Read around. They take your money, lie to you every time you call with different excuses and you still don't have parts.

It wouldn't be so bad if they charged you when they shipped, but they seem to like to sit on your money for 60-90 days with 'supplier issues'

D3 flat out has the worst customer service.

They like to position themselves as an elite parts place (and charge for it) and then treat their customers like 4th rate people.

Just my opinion. Yes, I've tried to order parts from them in the past. Yes, I cancelled my order because I was tired of waiting and the excuses that came with it.

Rule12b
04-16-13, 01:02 PM
Without upsetting the world, yeah, right.

Read around. They take your money, lie to you every time you call with different excuses and you still don't have parts.

It wouldn't be so bad if they charged you when they shipped, but they seem to like to sit on your money for 60-90 days with 'supplier issues'

D3 flat out has the worst customer service.

They like to position themselves as an elite parts place (and charge for it) and then treat their customers like 4th rate people.

Just my opinion. Yes, I've tried to order parts from them in the past. Yes, I cancelled my order because I was tired of waiting and the excuses that came with it.

I'm sorry to hear that. I can say, from this experience, that suppliers, including my own sponsor Forgeline, were extremely problematic in getting things to us on time through no fault of D3. I'm still awaiting a CF hood, again because the supplier is tardy and they sell out of them as fast as they can make them. As far as taking your money and sitting on it, I can't speak for that. Just not my experience.

Like it or not, they actually are elite, and doing things with the V that no one else is. They may not be perfect, but they are working at it everyday. I've definitely dealt with far worse in the automotive world. Obviously Cadillac and GM think enough of them to partner with them.

The thing is, most people use these boards to voice dissatisfaction with tuners and such. Look at threads about Wait4Me, Hennessey, you name it. For every vocal dissent, theres about a 100 or so satisfied customers that don't take the time to share their positive experiences. I don't intend to be that guy is all.

It sucks that you had such a bad experience.

Smokin80
04-16-13, 01:32 PM
I feel that d3 gets a bad light shed on them. But I had a mixed experience. In the end they sorted it out and all was well. So if I decide to do something that d3 appears to be the best option then I would use them again.

As for rule12's experience.....you likely spend a large sum of money with them which tends to get noticed. Aka you get the better portion of the service they are able to supply you. I'm sure that widebody setup is $$$$$$!!!!!

All opinions about d3 aside. That car is unreal and if I could afford to double what I have into the car I would be all over it!

Have fun and I will live vicariously through you

CJCTSV
04-16-13, 04:43 PM
I'm still awaiting a CF hood, again because the supplier is tardy

Obviously Cadillac and GM think enough of them to partner with them.

I'm not worried about sucking up to D3, it appears you are trying to justify their bad practices. You are obviously close to them, that likely helps you.

Try this...

Sway bars.

They had them listed on eBay.. no mention of delays, etc. They 'demand' up front payment and right now, still can't deliver.

Stop selling! Or at the very least be up front about not being able to get parts. (They don't currently have them listed on ebay, but that's how I got sucked into my set)

To me, that's a BS way to do business.

Are they the only game in town? For sway bars right now, yes. In a month or two, nope.

Also, let's talk about your hood. My local 'partnered' Cadillac dealer put one of the hoods on a customer car. 6+ hours to make it fit right, not including paint.

That's quality!

Take weapon x hoods... dead nuts perfect fit as a direct bolt on. He sells lots of them and they are delivered when promised, typically in less than 2 weeks.

Rule12b
04-16-13, 06:45 PM
I'm not worried about sucking up to D3, it appears you are trying to justify their bad practices. You are obviously close to them, that likely helps you.

Try this...

Sway bars.

They had them listed on eBay.. no mention of delays, etc. They 'demand' up front payment and right now, still can't deliver.

Stop selling! Or at the very least be up front about not being able to get parts. (They don't currently have them listed on ebay, but that's how I got sucked into my set)

Are they the only game in town? For sway bars right now, yes. In a month or two, nope.

Also, let's talk about your hood. My local 'partnered' Cadillac dealer put one of the hoods on a customer car. 6+ hours to make it fit right, not including paint.

That's quality!

Take weapon x hoods... dead nuts perfect fit as a direct bolt on. He sells lots of them and they are delivered when promised, typically in less than 2 weeks.

The weapon x hood isn't at all in the same league by design or quality as the D3 piece. It's not a two-sided full carbon fiber piece and both in look and function, isn't what I'm looking for. So, that's apples and oranges. To me that's like telling me a Toyota Prius gets great mileage, so hey, the CTS-V should too.

As for fit? I will find out soon enough. I do know that their early fiberglass hoods weren't coming in from the manufacturer to spec, so they canned that supplier. However, the cf hood my competitor in the challenge series has, fit perfectly and is a work of art to behold.

As for the sways, I cannot speak to that. I never had trouble getting mine and that was long before I was an established customer. I do know they are constantly selling them so maybe keeping stock on hand is a challenge?

As for demanding payment up front for goods? That's the way it goes. If they find out something is backordered or unavailable, then they can credit it back until it's ready to ship.

I'm not trying to justify bad practices. I'm disputing that such "bad practices" are really what some here purport them to be. I've certainly had my fair share of bad experiences with motorsports vendors, even with the V (B&B Exhaust for one), so I know what constitutes bad practices. I haven't experienced that with D3. And yeah, I'm happy to use my voice to counter some of the whiny bitching I hear about vendors I respect, when those voices opt to pop in for a sarcastic thread highjack.

Dr. Design
04-16-13, 06:46 PM
Sorry you are not having a good experience with D3.

Just so you know our ebay store "D3 OUTLET" is pretty much automated based off of inventory that we have on hand and eligible for sale on ebay. It is not suppose to list products we do not offer or have inventory at present. Furthermore it is pre-set to collect payment on ANY new order that is being placed, standard practice for online sales. Ebay mandates that we have to ship within 1 week from the time of the purchase or EBAY will automatically cancel the order and not transfer funds. Sway bars are always in stock, so I don't know why you wouldn't be able to get your order filled. Please keep in mind that D3's ebay store is listed under D3 Outlet, nothing else. If you have a problem ordering on that account, please feel free to contact us directly so we can rectify the situation before it is a problem. Please make sure you give us an order number so we can reference the order that you placed and we would be more than happy to look into in further detail.

As for a Cadillac dealership installing one of the D3 hoods. Do you know what dealership this is? No install should ever take that much time. We would think that they would contact us directly if there was that much of a fitment issue. We did have one dealership call us with a install problem only to find out that there was damage done to the hood during shipping thus causing an install issue. Maybe this is the same situation.

We have no interest in creating or justifying ANY bad practices. We are going to GREAT lengths to improve our operations and increase our abilities to fill orders and shipments in a more timely manner. We simply cannot keep up with the demand and supply our customers in the manner in which they expect us to. So WE as D3 need to make improvements in order to eliminate that issue. The first step in solving a problem is recognizing that there is a problem. We are aware of that and are taking the necessary steps to rectify it as quickly as possible.

If there are any other concerns or comments in regards to D3 & such, please start a new thread or call us directly better yet. We don't want to take away from the passion that RULE12b has exhibited with his extremely unique and trailblazing build.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Try this...

Sway bars.

That's quality!

TheDarkKnight
04-16-13, 08:42 PM

Try this...

Sway bars.

That's quality!

For the record, I've ordered the sway bars from eBay and gotten them rather quickly, not to mention Greg also sent out some complimentary decals and a shirt! I then ordered the competition springs and received them in the same timely manner.
And just yesterday, I had a little problem with an error code after installing said springs, which I called, And received great customer service again from Greg himself. So to each their own.
Everyone has different experiences and opinions, but I am proud to have a D3 shirt on my back at cars and coffee every so often

hlantin
04-16-13, 10:25 PM
Great looking car, Rule12b!! Congrats and thanks for paving the way..hope to you see and your car on the track soon.

D3, it's not always easy being at the forefront of developing new products and innovation but thanks for pushing the envelope! I've had nothing but positive experiences with your company. You guys always go out of your way to make things right for me..

CJCTSV
04-16-13, 11:22 PM
The weapon x hood isn't at all in the same league by design or quality as the D3 piece. It's not a two-sided full carbon fiber piece and both in look and function, isn't what I'm looking for. So, that's apples and oranges. To me that's like telling me a Toyota Prius gets great mileage, so hey, the CTS-V should too.

I've stated my stance and it's mostly played itself out, but you are mistaken about the WXM hoods. You have 3 options, FG, FG CF combo (top or bottom) or all CF.

http://weaponxmotorsports.myshopify.com/collections/aero-couture/products/v-power-hood-with-extractor-vents-carbon-fiber-full

Your analogy is also goofy as hell.

Rule12b
04-17-13, 12:43 AM
I've stated my stance and it's mostly played itself out, but you are mistaken about the WXM hoods. You have 3 options, FG, FG CF combo (top or bottom) or all CF.

http://weaponxmotorsports.myshopify.com/collections/aero-couture/products/v-power-hood-with-extractor-vents-carbon-fiber-full

Your analogy is also goofy as hell.

Perhaps. But if you think that design vents heat as effectively as the D3 design, well, that's goofy as hell. Regardless, its an apples to oranges comparison. And, off topic. So, back to celebrating my bitchin' ride. :-D

BigDog001
04-17-13, 05:19 AM
For the record, I've ordered the sway bars from eBay and gotten them rather quickly, not to mention Greg also sent out some complimentary decals and a shirt! I then ordered the competition springs and received them in the same timely manner.
And just yesterday, I had a little problem with an error code after installing said springs, which I called, And received great customer service again from Greg himself. So to each their own.
Everyone has different experiences and opinions, but I am proud to have a D3 shirt on my back at cars and coffee every so often

I also have the Sway Bars and Competition springs installed -- no issues here.

setherman5000
04-17-13, 02:16 PM
Perhaps. But if you think that design vents heat as effectively as the D3 design, well, that's goofy as hell. Regardless, its an apples to oranges comparison. And, off topic. So, back to celebrating my bitchin' ride. :-D

Will you have it at the grand prix corral? Love to see it in person.

Rule12b
04-17-13, 05:20 PM
Will you have it at the grand prix corral? Love to see it in person.

Toyo Tires will have it on display at their booth in the Lifestyle Expo for all to see. :-)

Dr. Design
04-17-13, 07:11 PM
Here are a few more images of this absolute beast!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/914181_437291239688013_1033939895_o.jpg
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/922400_437292396354564_1252215285_o.jpg
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/894968_437290566354747_627180792_o.jpg

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

jb_bgg
04-18-13, 02:35 PM
Car looks awesome, Richard...