: Supercharger gone........again

Topless vette
04-15-13, 02:47 PM
On the weekend, i shut my car off and heard hissing and some rattling, i started it again and it did the same thing,and noticed a slight rattle when idling. Took it to the dealer today and he says leave and we will look at it. Says yes, there is a slight rattle on the idle and could be a bearing in there, "leave it and we will take it apart". man o man, this car had one replaced already before i got it, and i haven t heard of anyone replacing two. I sure hope it isn t, i don t want them to tear it down, hopefully it is something else more simple, but it doesn t sound good.:crying2:

RaVeNous
04-15-13, 03:17 PM
Was the car modded?. Is the car modded? Did you mod the car? Was the car raced? Seem odd it would be eating up blowers without some serious beatings.

Topless vette
04-15-13, 03:55 PM
no, no, no, no.
only thing is it has an Airraid cai, and Corsa axle back, that was dealer installed when new.

Mongopush
04-15-13, 06:38 PM
Is this the same dealer that replaced it before, if so what was they're reasoning the first time? Did they replace the supercharger or just a bad bearing the first go around. It it was just a bearing I would demand a complete supercharger this go around , if under warranty that is. Here's a bad one posted a while back , sound similar? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywokI6ZM8sk

Topless vette
04-15-13, 07:44 PM
Not same dealer. I just dropped it off, so hopefully I will find out tomorrow
I can t see any reason why it won t ne under warranty. CAI should not void it.

Topless vette
04-15-13, 08:51 PM
I feel like a total moron, i talked to the selling dealer and the general manager about the supercharger replacement, he said it was never done by them or before. This is all bad on my part. I read through the history report on the car and could not see it. When i was looking at V s to buy, i remember seeing that one had been replaced and i was sure it was thie one,I looked at so many , but obviously not. I am sorry for wasting forum members time. But it still needs to be replaced.

1997BlackETC
04-15-13, 11:36 PM
That rattle is a pretty common thing with these V's.

Trapspeed
04-15-13, 11:44 PM
Yeah....if they'll warranty it get a new one!

Topless vette
04-16-13, 08:12 AM
It almost rattles like run on, but it s not. After engine is dead, that is when I hear something still turning and hence the rattling.

Topless vette
04-16-13, 10:45 AM
well. i just heard from the dealer, and they say the GM TSB says, hood and windows closed, normal operating temperatures, raise the rpm to 1200, and if you can t hear it, have a nice day. i find that hard to believe, but i guess thats the way it is. Will wait till it flies apart i guess.

marcusp23
04-16-13, 11:00 AM
I heard a rattle one day shortly after I bought my used 2011 V sedan. Brought it into my dealer here in Dallas 2 days later (after the weekend) and they replaced it right away.

It frankly freaked me out a bit because the car was new to me and I don't want to be buying a car that spends too much time in the shop, and replacing a supercharger seems like a pretty big deal to me. But I've heard others say they've had this same problem, so I know it's not just mine.

That said, pretty sure I'll be selling this one before the warranty runs out.

RapidRob
04-16-13, 06:42 PM
well. i just heard from the dealer, and they say the GM TSB says, hood and windows closed, normal operating temperatures, raise the rpm to 1200, and if you can t hear it, have a nice day. i find that hard to believe, but i guess thats the way it is. Will wait till it flies apart i guess.

Try another dealer - my dealer refused to replace my rattling SC under warranty for years. Just before warranty expired, I took the V in for some minor fixes, and demoed the SC rattle to them one more time. The new SM at this dealership approved it to my great surprise! One week later I had a new SC - with no rattle. So, IMO keep on trying ....

Rob

Trapspeed
04-16-13, 10:00 PM
Try another dealer - my dealer refused to replace my rattling SC under warranty for years. Just before warranty expired, I took the V in for some minor fixes, and demoed the SC rattle to them one more time. The new SM at this dealership approved it to my great surprise! One week later I had a new SC - with no rattle. So, IMO keep on trying ....

Rob

I have to second this one. Almost exactly the same scenario and they've finally relented. New blower on the way.

RapidRob
04-16-13, 11:03 PM
I have to second this one. Almost exactly the same scenario and they've finally relented. New blower on the way.

Congrats Trap! Did they order the same pt# as mine?

Rob

Topless vette
04-16-13, 11:12 PM
sounds good, i will do that, the selling dealer told me today, he would swap me cars next week and take it to his shop,which is an hour from me and have his men look at it. how long was your car down ? including ordering the blower ?

Trapspeed
04-16-13, 11:41 PM
Congrats Trap! Did they order the same pt# as mine?

Rob

Waiting to see. Should be here in a couple of weeks due to back order. I'm optimistic but guarded...you know the deal. "I'll believe it when it gets here".

Topless vette
04-17-13, 07:54 AM
Waiting to see. Should be here in a couple of weeks due to back order. I'm optimistic but guarded...you know the deal. "I'll believe it when it gets here".

Is there different part #s thatt apply ? Differrent blowers ?

Trapspeed
04-17-13, 08:14 AM
Is there different part #s thatt apply ? Differrent blowers ?

Apparently, yes, from what I've been told and seen here. Now, whether or not they are actually different parts I'm not sure. It could be the "same" unit with a new part number but I'm thinking some changes may have been made. Folks here have torn open the blowers on 2013 cars and found no internal differences especially with the isolator.

RapidRob
04-17-13, 06:58 PM
sounds good, i will do that, the selling dealer told me today, he would swap me cars next week and take it to his shop,which is an hour from me and have his men look at it. how long was your car down ? including ordering the blower ?

They ordered it and sent me home with my V, since they had finished the minor work/checks they were doing. The very next week they called and said the SC had arrived, and we set up an appointment to have it installed. It took them about 3 days to install it, and I had a loaner SXT while it was in the shop.

Rob

Txstang1
04-22-13, 09:57 PM
Friday my supercharger started making some awful howling noise, I call the dealer up and he said to bring it in. Took it in at 8am this morning, they said they would call later today for an update. They called a little before 1pm, stating that the car was ready and that they replaced the supercharger. WOW

Sewell in Dallas has the best service I've ever experienced !

pat2t2f
04-24-13, 07:44 AM
I'm surprised they had one in stock

ddivinia
04-29-13, 08:59 PM
Sewell Service totally rocks.

marcusp23
04-30-13, 12:15 AM
Friday my supercharger started making some awful howling noise, I call the dealer up and he said to bring it in. Took it in at 8am this morning, they said they would call later today for an update. They called a little before 1pm, stating that the car was ready and that they replaced the supercharger. WOW

Sewell in Dallas has the best service I've ever experienced !

That's my dealer too. They replaced mine in a day also about a month ago. Very impressed with them so far.

Trapspeed
04-30-13, 01:10 AM
My parts are in and I'm dropping the car off tomorrow morning. One step closer.

1997BlackETC
04-30-13, 01:42 AM
Good deal trap. Having the right dealer is so important. I got all the bugs worked out of my 2013, the car is purrrfect now. No more diff whine and over 600 miles since the carrier was replaced. Steering wheel is now straight, car drives as it should. What are you getting replaced, the Supercharger and rear end carrier?

Trapspeed
04-30-13, 11:30 AM
Yes sir. I have an ATS loaner right now. Nice ride!

RapidRob
04-30-13, 06:43 PM
Glad to hear it Trap - get that pt# yet?

Rob

Mongopush
04-30-13, 07:28 PM
I just had an ATS 2.0 turbo loaner, I was impressed also with its pep . An ATS- V may be a blast to drive .

Trapspeed
04-30-13, 10:57 PM

Rob

No. Waiting for the repairs and paperwork. Possibly tomorrow or Thursday. Apparently, they did it all today but they are checking a faulty driver door module while it's there. I'll be in touch as soon as I get it.

1997BlackETC
05-01-13, 01:31 PM
Good deal, what do you think of the ATS? I sat in one listening to the stereo and playing with the CUE for around an hour while my car was being worked on and did not really like the car that much, I just was not all that comfortable in it and to me felt kinda cheap and I did not really like the CUE that much, maybe it's just something you have to get use to I dunno.

Trapspeed
05-01-13, 11:37 PM
You know, overall I actually like it. It's the 2.0T model with an auto. It's definitely tighter to get in and out of than the CTS. I like the interior feel but that new CUE system does take some getting used to. Overall, not a bad ride. The handling is excellent!

1997BlackETC
05-01-13, 11:44 PM
I was not very comfortable in the ATS, much more comfortable even in my new TDI Wagen.

Trapspeed
05-02-13, 11:32 AM

Rob

And here it is: 19301022

RapidRob
05-02-13, 06:43 PM
- ^^^ - Great! Same as the one I received. How does it sound - any rattles?

Rob

Trapspeed
05-02-13, 08:45 PM
Right now, quiet as a church mouse but I truthfully expect it will start making some noise eventually. I hope I'm wrong but we shall see. On another note the new rear carrier is silent, too. Apparently, mine had a bearing failure and pitted gears. Awesome. :rolleyes:

It's great now though! Nothing like a new blower and rear diff at 46K.

RapidRob
05-02-13, 11:06 PM
I suspect that these newer SC's have some improvements in them, (otherwise, why the new pt.# ?), and I believe there are fewer complaints about the isolator rattle, etc. in the later model V's, purely a subjective observation - I know. I also brought up my rear diff., which would whine very slightly in 5th at 45-50 mph while going up a slight incline. But, alas, I couldn't duplicate the issue for the mechanic at the dealership. But at least it's documented if it ever becomes a major problem ...

Glad you got your ride back - better than ever!

Rob

1997BlackETC
05-02-13, 11:20 PM
make sure to go easy on the new diff carrier for it to break in right. Vary you're speeds around a bit, no constant highway speed driving for the first 500 miles.

Trapspeed
05-03-13, 08:13 AM
make sure to go easy on the new diff carrier for it to break in right. Vary you're speeds around a bit, no constant highway speed driving for the first 500 miles.

For sure!!

Glad you got your ride back - better than ever!

Rob

Thank you, sir! I think you are right. There may be less noise out of this one but I'll hope for the best!