: What does 4 stand for in STS 4 2008 Caddy?

konoplya
04-15-13, 01:58 PM
So i've been trying to find that info out and can't anywhere. I called the dealership for an underbody shield since I need one and I mentioned that I have an 08 STS 4 and the guy had no clue what the STS 4 is. Said he never heard of that before. So that really got me curious. I apologize in advance if this is a noob question.

Thanks!

curtc
04-15-13, 02:08 PM
:hmm:LOL...An actual GM dealership told you they didn't know what the 4 stood for in STS4??? You my friend need to find a new dealership, FAST!

The 4 signifies that the car is equipped with All Wheel Drive, a standard STS is Rear Wheel Drive.

What surprises me even more is that you bought this car not knowing what the 4 stood for...

BTW - :welcome:

Submariner409
04-15-13, 02:28 PM
When all else fails, read the owner's manual. That's kind of like Aunt Martha, who bought a SLS new in 2003, finally opening the hood and exclaiming "There's a V-8 in here !".

dkozloski
04-15-13, 03:20 PM
When I bought my STS from a dealer it didn't have the "4" on it but the AWD option was listed on the build sheet. I even crawled underneath to make sure. I added the "4" to the trunk lid myself. It's conceivable that the "4" missing from mine wound up on a car where it didn't belong. A newspaper where I worked had a Suburban in the circulation department for delivering newspapers that had Chevy badging on one side and one end and GMC badging on the other side and other end. It was bought as a new Chevy from the Chevy dealer at a bargain price and there were some pretty animated arguments from time to time about what it really was.

ddalder
04-15-13, 04:45 PM
Rather surprising to hear a dealership had no idea. The same convention is used for the SRX-4, CTS-4, ATS-4 and XTS-4. This certainly isn't new or limited to just the STS.

EChas3
04-15-13, 11:29 PM
Give them the VIN and they will order the right part. If the person you spoke with is representative, another dealer should be a better value.

06 STS Rob
04-16-13, 02:23 PM
The VIN# is the key. I was at the dealer just to order new engine cover clips and the parts guy had no clue about the STS-V. After pulling up the CTS-V and the standard STS, he asked for the VIN#....

konoplya
04-18-13, 12:38 AM
great. thank you guys for clarifying that. the car is actually not mine. i have a bmw myself. the car belongs to a good friend of mine who's out of town and asked me to take care of it for him and to drive it if i felt like it. i'm a fix it up type of guy so the first thing i did is look under the car to find out the whole thing is missing. so i figured i'd do my friend a favor and get it done for him. i definitely was taken aback when the guy said he had no clue what the 4 stood for, he did ask me for the vin though. thanks a lot again.

Charles Warren
04-18-13, 11:58 AM
should get rid of your bmw and get you a caddy lol