: Spring is coming, lets talk paint care.

conedoctor
04-15-13, 12:39 PM
So I do a power polish every 3-6 months on the SRX to keep it looking good but come spring I think I will try a claybar to clean up the paint.

Has anyone done the claybar and can offer tips?

What other car care tips and tricks do you guys have, lets get a thread going.

I will add the first, buy a DA polisher and save your arm and get better results with low risk of damage. My black Denali was very happy I bought one.

glake89
04-15-13, 01:23 PM
Use clay bar and works great. Keep surface wet and DON'T drop the bar!

bwilkins750
04-15-13, 08:29 PM
Be sure to use a good lubricant when using the claybar to prevent marring. I use meguires gold class car wash soap in a bucket of water. And use the claybar before polishing to remove any debree that may be embedded into the clearcoat.

Also, you polish every 3-6 months??? I would only recommend a maintenance polish yearly if needed. Polish then use a good wax/sealant to protect the paint. Also, proper washing techniques will help prevent swirling/marring of the paint. I polished my wifes SRX a year ago and it still looks amazing. visit Autopia's website to learn proper paint care techniques.

And yes, machine polishing is the way to go. Pick up a DA polisher if you are a beginner.

conedoctor
04-16-13, 10:54 AM
I should clear that up, I clean and wax it every 3-6 months and way closer to 6 and do a polish once a year. The crystal red looks about 2 feet deep when I'm done, love the colour.

Winter is hard on paint up here in the frozen north.

DA is the safe way to go for sure, my father in-law has a rotary buffer and is no longer allowed to touch my mother-in-laws car after the burnt paint incident :(

warreneaux
04-17-13, 04:03 AM
I should clear that up, I clean and wax it every 3-6 months and way closer to 6 and do a polish once a year. The crystal red looks about 2 feet deep when I'm done, love the colour.

Winter is hard on paint up here in the frozen north.

DA is the safe way to go for sure, my father in-law has a rotary buffer and is no longer allowed to touch my mother-in-laws car after the burnt paint incident :(

DA meaning Dual Action as opposed to Orbital.

conedoctor
04-17-13, 10:28 AM
Right, like a grinder with a pad, the fast way to damage paint if you don't know what your doing.

weccjc67
04-17-13, 11:18 AM
My SRX is Black Raven, what a pain to keep up. But I bought Turtle Wax Black Box Kit (For Black Paint Only) and WOW!. Looks like glass and to keep it looking great I use the matching detailing spray, I never thought owning a black vehicle would be easy to maintain but this product makes my SRX look AWESOME.

conedoctor
04-17-13, 12:31 PM
I will try that on the Denali, great tip.