: Carbon Brake conversion for CTS V?

Chrispy
04-15-13, 10:18 AM
Hi folks,

Is there a carbon brake kit for the CTS V? (Similar to the Z07 or ZR1?)

I imagine it costs a fortune but was curious :)

Thanks in advance,
Chris

ptrd
04-15-13, 09:13 PM
I'm sure if you want one the higher end brake companies will make one for you. If the ZR1 has it, I'm sure it wouldn't take much to fit it to the V. Most of the time it's just the mounting bracket that is needed.

That's why most off the shelf kits all have the same calipers but different brackets and rotors.

You're looking at nearly 10k though.

Rule12b
04-16-13, 01:22 AM
Brembo (Race Technologies) makes a serious upgraded system for our cars, but at crazy cost. So does Alcon. List is about $13k. I want to upgrade my brakes, but running 18 inch, stepped lip wheel gives me very little room for bigger brakes. On a straight 19 inch rim though, there are options. . .if you want to pay. . .

jzchen
04-16-13, 02:37 AM
Hennessey has them. I'm not sure they'll sell it separately from their packages, but I've seen them listed on their website.

I sent an email to Race Technologies asking if theirs would fit the stock 19 inch rims. It sounded like they weren't sure, and sent me a brake profile, but I'm not sure how to use it.

Rotora seems to have a carbon ceramic option as well.

Random84
04-16-13, 08:01 AM
Carbon ceramics would just simply be awesome on a CTS-V... but yeah, easily $8-10K on a good day.

On a street car, they'd look great and last forever - on a track car they do have limited lifespans so for all but the most serious semi-pro track junkies, I think aggressive pads and frequently replaced OEM (2pc) rotors are probably the best choice. :(

DCV
04-16-13, 08:53 AM
I don't think you would ever get carbon ceramic brakes up to temps for street driving. In fact, I think when they are cold...they would have less stopping power than OEM brakes. I had the full Alcon set-up in a previous Audi and that's how they were. Unless I warmed them up, using their brake kit with XP10 pads, they would chatter and shutter when cold with less stopping power. Now, once I got them warmed up....your eyeballs would pop out under hard braking. On a twisty mountain road, great fun...but in the city going to the twisty roads...had to be very careful under quick or panic stops....due to tourists, militant bicyclists, and other hazards in DC.

Random84
04-16-13, 02:13 PM
I don't think you would ever get carbon ceramic brakes up to temps for street driving.

As you may know, carbon ceramics are OEM on the Corvette ZR1 and a popular option on the Z06 (Z07 trim) Corvettes. There is a somewhat involved burnishing/break-in procedure that drastically improves street-performance; so I think the key is A: getting them burnished correctly and choosing a brake pad appropriate for your application.

They can definitely work (and the rotors last the life of the car on the street), but remain cost prohibitive. Man, they would look cool though.

http://www.halltechsystems.com/v/vspfiles/photos/ZR1CCBP-2.jpg

Chrispy
04-16-13, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the information guys. :)

Naf
04-22-13, 09:42 AM
The OEM setup would be fine cold to warm, but you would probably have to swap out the pads before track days.

Yes you are looking at north of 10 Large for the upgrade. If you are a serious racer then this kit would be awesome, but for daily driver just upgrade your discs and pads...