: Brake conversion??

Strickland
04-15-13, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know if there is a drum to disc brake conversion kit available for the 1990 Brougham?

1980coupe
04-15-13, 10:31 AM
The 77-79 cadillac brougham had rear disks, just swap rear ends but there might be other things to swap as well

jayoldschool
04-15-13, 11:12 AM
A better choice is the 94-96 Impala SS/Caprice 9C1 rear disc setup. The parking brake mechanism is separate from the caliper. You can swap the complete rear end, or just use the backing plates and all hardware on your rear end (if you have the 8.5" rear with a 350 engine). If you want to do it really budget, with no parking brake, there is a vendor on the classic truck forum that offers brackets to bolt on the rear to hang Impala SS calipers.

There are also lots of aftermarket rear disc conversions, check Summit. They are expensive.

The Ape Man
04-15-13, 12:28 PM
Curious as to why you would like to do this.

Strickland
04-15-13, 08:27 PM
Curious as to why you would like to do this.
Isnt it a better braking system with less maintenance?

The Ape Man
04-16-13, 10:28 AM
Isnt it a better braking system with less maintenance?

Not really. If we are talking about the old rear calipers with the park brake definitely not.

The only time I ever wished I had rear discs on a Cadillac was when I did some repeated high speed braking. The cops are still looking for me.

csbuckn
04-16-13, 11:53 AM
Im with ape man. I have the 94-96 caprice impala disc on mine and I only notice the difference at high speed/emergency braking. Probably useful on long trips them heat them up pretty good, too. Definately less maintenance...unless the caliper bracket bolt keeps coming out.

Fleetwood472
04-16-13, 03:01 PM
Im with ape man. I have the 94-96 caprice impala disc on mine and I only notice the difference at high speed/emergency braking. Probably useful on long trips the heat them up pretty good, too. Definately less maintenance...unless the caliper bracket bolt keeps coming out.

Were you able to get the E-brake cables to hook up ok? Can the 94-96 disk brake setup swap over to the 77-79 axles? The previous owner took the parking brake hardware off of my 78 fleetwood so i've been thinking about either finding original parts or retrofitting it over to the 94-96 caprice disk brake setup.

csbuckn
04-16-13, 03:45 PM
I was not able to get the ebrake to work but I didnt try hard. It was different so I just cut the whole thing out. Nothing ebrake related is on my car. I was thinking that you may just be able to cut the tip of the original ebrake cable off and clamp on the impala/caprice one. I bet it would work.

NemesisX2047
04-17-13, 10:37 PM
I was recently in an accident and need to replace the rear end on my 77' DeVille. I have been looking at other options and have had a few people tell me the rear end from the 94-96 Caprice/Impala SS will work. Does anyone know for sure or has anyone done it to a 77-79 DeVille? TIA

csbuckn
04-18-13, 12:30 AM
These rear ends bolt to the frame only and the frame is exactly the same from 77-96 so yes, it will bolt on. The only thing you will have to change is the pinion yoke and find a way to connect the ebrake. If, when switching the pinion yoke, you find that the driveshaft is too short or long, you will have to get a new driveshaft made or get yours shortened but I dont think you will have a problem with the driveshaft length when you change the pinion yoke.

brougham
04-18-13, 07:26 PM
The driveshaft length could be a problem. It depends on the size of the rear not the yoke.

cadillac kevin
04-18-13, 07:27 PM
These rear ends bolt to the frame only and the frame is exactly the same from 77-96 so yes, it will bolt on. The only thing you will have to change is the pinion yoke and find a way to connect the ebrake. If, when switching the pinion yoke, you find that the driveshaft is too short or long, you will have to get a new driveshaft made or get yours shortened but I dont think you will have a problem with the driveshaft length when you change the pinion yoke.

Don't forget that caprices have the wrong bolt pattern (5x4.75) so that will have to be dealt with (impala ss have the correct bolt pattern)

csbuckn
04-18-13, 07:47 PM
Thats a good point. Different lugnuts, too.

brougham
04-18-13, 07:58 PM
Those years of caprices used the bigger bolt pattern.

Strickland
04-21-13, 09:58 PM
Do you know if theres a way to convert the front hub-in-rotor setup to a rotor-over-hub setup? In other words do you know of a spindle with the hub built into it that will fit the 1990 brougham so all you have to do is replace your rotors.

----------

Do you know if there is a way to convert the front hub-in-rotor setup to a rotor-over-hub setup. If there is a spindle with a built in hub that will fit these caddys so all you have to replace is the rotor..

jayoldschool
04-21-13, 09:58 PM
Yes, you do a big brake conversion. They start around 1500.

Strickland
04-21-13, 10:31 PM
Yes, you do a big brake conversion. They start around 1500.
You know who sells them......

jayoldschool
04-22-13, 12:08 PM
HD12 is a low buck option:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=228173
TCE is more money:
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/impala-ss/kits-14/