: New Here - Looking at Cadillac's

flatlndr
04-14-13, 09:21 PM
Been doing some lurking here. I'm in NE Ks and started looking for an older (97-99)car that seats 6. Looking at Deville's and Lincolns. From what I've looked at thus far, it appears that older Lincolns hold up a bit better than the Caddy. But, both the wife and I like the Devilles better.
Am I missing something or are Cadillacs mechanical nightmares??? With all the problems I've read about with the NortStar engine, air ride, and questionable electrics, am I just asking for $ to thrown down the tubes.
Guess I'm just too old school and expect the car to fall away from the drive train before they give you problems.
I want to say I can find one thats well maintained and it'll be ok but it doesn't appear maintenance on the NStar means all that much.
Anyway, sorry for the long post, but am looking for some insite that there are 100K
Cadillacs that have some relatively trouble free miles left.
The last Caddy I had was a '60 4dr flattop. Should have never gotten rid of it. Loved that car and I'm sure its still going strong.
Thanks for any opinions.

Ranger
04-14-13, 09:50 PM
:welcome:

You're looking for the most HG failure prone years, with the '99 being the worst. Step up a year and look for a 2000+. GM made improvements in 2000 that greatly reduced the HG failure rate and again in '04 that all but eliminated it.

Other than that "mechanical nightmare" would be the last term I'd use. I had very few problems with my '97 and likewise with this '03.

orconn
04-14-13, 10:01 PM
Problem is when there is a problem it is likely to be time consuming and thus expensive to fix. If you are looking for luxury on the cheap a Lincoln Town Car would probably be a better bet. Won't perform like the Cadillac, but will provide the old school kind of luxury for relatively cheaper cost.

flatlndr
04-15-13, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.
I had read where they made changes somewhere around 05 but was unaware of changes made after 99. I'll keep nosing around, guess I liked the big box rather than the newer rounded style. I don't mind spending money initially if it will save me money/headaches down the road.
I did look at a '64 Coupe Deville but the wife wasn't all that enthused. Would have to spend money to get it up to speed but you would retain some return on investment.
Thanks again.
Tom

77CDV
04-17-13, 12:07 AM
:welcome: You could always step down a year or two and get a RWD Fleetwood or a Deville with the 4.9, both of which would be pretty much rock solid. Good luck with your hunt.